75 In A 55 - Downers Grove, IL.

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Happened this morning, pretty pissed at myself, He said he got me at 80 and wrote it down.
ISP shooting laser, I presume off his mirror, all I saw was the back of an Explorer. This is my first speeding ticket, But I’m under 21 so I’m not sure how that will effect getting it off my record.

-Thanks

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
As others have said, lawyer up and start saving up for some ALP's

Tallyho

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do you think it was a mirror shot?

Would be interesting to hear what the attorney has to say but may not make any difference if he pleads it down for you.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
ILSP are not allowed to shoot off their mirrors. Depending on your attorney, you might be able to win.

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Why do you think it was a mirror shot?

Would be interesting to hear what the attorney has to say but may not make any difference if he pleads it down for you.
I could be wrong about the Mirror shot, he was on the left shoulder facing the direction of traffic. The only other way would have been over his shoulder out the back window, which he was at an odd angle for. I’ll have to download the dash cam video.
He was rolling by the time I passed him so he was ready to go.
I’m going to look for a lawyer tomorrow, was hoping I might be able to do traffic school.
I still can’t believe I missed him, He was blocked by a Tahoe passing someone and when he scooted over I was directly in his line of sight. Probably only a quarter mile away when he got me.
I really should have been more careful, was totally zoned out thinking about the rest of the day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks for responding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tallyho

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have video this could go very well for you.

It would potentially be very embarrassing for the DA to have to try this case and he may dismiss it to avoid it coming to the knowledge of the judge.

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I see in your signature, you use waze. Were there no markings/alerts?

Doesn't really help you now, though.
Nothing on Waze, which is unusual, I remember looking at it to make sure. He wasn’t there for a long time, I didn’t even really notice brake lights from the Tahoe.

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When I download the video is it safe to just crop out the bottom area with the speed/GPS? I have a VIOFO -A129, not sure if I could just download it without the stamp.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you by chance get any sort of laser alert?

bkayrac

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
When I download the video is it safe to just crop out the bottom area with the speed/GPS? I have a VIOFO -A129, not sure if I could just download it without the stamp.

You should discuss that with your lawyer, tampering with evidence isn't taken lightly in courts :p

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm going to call a lawyer in the morning, but I rewatched the video. First I'm embarrassed that I didn't see him until it was too late, second his car was slightly angled towards the median on the left shoulder and I was in the left lane, he would have had to have been turned fully around and shooting out the back window to hit me (unless he was shooting through his mirror). To my knowledge, the backs of those cars have tons of crap in them, the bars/plexiglass, ect.. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Is there a thread/area that has what methods Leo's can use for LIDAR? Or is it just knowledge of the system/laws behind the performance of the Laser guns.

This whole encounter makes me really want a jammer system, and a LIDAR gun to play with...

Tallyho

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to call a lawyer in the morning, but I rewatched the video. First I'm embarrassed that I didn't see him until it was too late, second his car was slightly angled towards the median on the left shoulder and I was in the left lane, he would have had to have been turned fully around and shooting out the back window to hit me (unless he was shooting through his mirror). To my knowledge, the backs of those cars have tons of crap in them, the bars/plexiglass, ect.. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Is there a thread/area that has what methods Leo's can use for LIDAR? Or is it just knowledge of the system/laws behind the performance of the Laser guns.

This whole encounter makes me really want a jammer system, and a LIDAR gun to play with...
Here's your exact scenario as posted by a veteran member who is an attorney:

Yes,

1. Figure out what you got shot with through discovery

2. Get the owners manual for that unit and the IACP Cert

"Officer, can you show me in this manual please where it says that a lidar shot off the side or rear view mirror is permissible. "

OFF: BUT I didn't shoot off the mirror.....

Def: " Your honor, defendant has a dash cam and would like to tender the original video footage as Defendant's Exhibit A into evidence."

Judge after reviewing the video: "Dismissed."

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
The only tactics I have seen when the LEO is facing the direction of traffic are mirror shots or opening up the drivers side door and aiming backwards. Anecdotal, I know, but this could be very interesting, especially if mirror shots aren't permitted and you have it on camera.

Either way, it sounds like some parking sensors should be in your future my friend.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Could it have been a chase car and the shooter was somewhere else?

Tedles

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
He said something along the lines of, 'I just got you speeding X in a 55', he would have specified if it was a chase car right? I also didn't see anything else. It was on a pretty open stretch of I-55 near Lemont road.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sightline