Learning about Theia from Radenso's DSP Engineer

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lol! I love it man that you’ve managed to work in nuclear subs when describing how Theia works. I mean seriously, when in the history of RDs would you ever have imagined the tech advanced enough to do that. Freaking awesome! Nice explanation.

These Randenso boys and girls have opened a can of worms for better for worse. I just hope we as a community don’t elevate the expectations to the point of being unreasonable and they are actually able to come through on their claims. Frankly, I’ll just be happy with zero BSMs. Everything else is gravy.
No kidding. I so look forward to my RD only making its presence known when there's highway robbery up ahead.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know this has already been brought up, but I’m still VERY curious what kind of RF noise comes off of laser guns and if they can be intercepted at useful distances.

Not sure there’s any RF signature traveling with a beam of light. It is lidar.

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I know this has already been brought up, but I’m still VERY curious what kind of RF noise comes off of laser guns and if they can be intercepted at useful distances.
Same question occurred to me. Our eyes can see a visible laser beam regardless where it's aimed. Does infrared laser have similar properties making it indirectly visible to a sophisticated IR receiver? I don't know.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In a clean air environment, we can't see a visible laser until it hits the surface it's aimed at. :)

Exadata

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok, that pretty much answered my question about I/O and initial staring temp. of the I/O gun so, whether the I/O gun is heat soaked at 120F or 0F the AI can figure it out.

Now, how about user programmable warnings? Let's say the Theia is paired to my phone and I can record my own verbal warnings because who cares if it says "XYZ band, the frequency, and radar gun make and model" (except for us enthusiast geeks) because the only thing Theia will report are real threats. Perhaps, I can find an audio file of Mr.T yelling "Slow down sucker!" for any type of threat ( Note: I never drive faster than the PSL....for safety of course) and upload it to Theia? And if I really wanted to see what I got hit with, it sounds like I'd have access to log files or I can go back to my paired smart phone and have more of an in-depth look later on?

Last edited:

cihkal

Keep taking me off ignore? 😘
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Watching this guy was the bomb. I get the biggest kick out of it. I don't know shit about this stuff, but I try to learn and understand it. It's something new, related to radios and cars, and that's why I love it.

I try to soak up any technical detail I come across, from the old days and current. This though, was the cat's meow of cool tech info about RDs.

There was so much genuine passion and excitement for the topic too!

You just don't see people like this that often, in general. And he's willing/able to share some of his knowledge!

I feel like it's a fresh start in this hobby/driving perspective, in the right direction.

Thanks again to you both. Great job Vortex!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Randy at Radenso

beyond radar.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Now, how about user programmable warnings? Let's say the Theia is paired to my phone and I can record my own verbal warnings because who cares if it says "XYZ band, the frequency, and radar gun make and model" (except for us enthusiast geeks) because the only thing Theia will report are real threats. Perhaps, I can find an audio file of Mr.T yelling "Slow down sucker!" for any type of threat ( Note: I never drive faster than the PSL....for safety of course) and upload it to Theia? And if I really wanted to see what I got hit with, it sounds like I'd have access to log files or I can go back to my paired smart phone and have more of an in-depth look later on?

Theia is still in development..

Jon at Radenso

Manufacturer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Theia is still in development..

ng%7C0,0,2140,2000+728.0,560.0,682.0,819.0._UX522_.jpg

NVR2FST

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not sure there’s any RF signature traveling with a beam of light. It is lidar.
I hadn't thought about whether lidar guns could be detected by means of microwave emissions, but others here evidently did. Just because a device shoots a laser beam doesn't necessarily preclude the fact that it may have a microwave signature as well, I suppose. Hopefully, this will be/has been followed up on.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not a bad question to ask. If anything could detect if there is a signal in that, Theia would probably be the one.
Still i doubt its a thing.

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There certainly seems to be a subset of rdf members whose goal seems to be to present the most rare set of circumstances then ask how the new device will respond, e.g.,

How will Theia handle the following. I think I have captured most of the most obtuse use cases below. :) Feel free to add your own favorite use cases. Perhaps you could win a Professional Fun Sucker T shirt.:p

1. Driving on to a military base.
2. The base is a place where they test "Your speed is' signs.
3. All of the signs are equipped with out of tune radar guns,
4. The radar guns have all been dropped before being installed in the sign.
5. Standing next to each sign is a less than sober enlisted soldier triggering an automatic door opener that has been modified to exactly mimic a radar gun.
6. All soldiers on this base drive Mazdas and they are all parked around the "Your Speed Is' signs.
7. All the Mazdas are running, with their emergency brakes on, and their transmissions in reverse.
8. If Theia cannot handle this set of circumstances, will we be able to use GPS lockouts to ignore this location.
9. And how much will it cost?

And, to top it off, some of these rdf members get a nuclear tech-wedgie when someone from Radenso does not answer with excruciating detail within minutes of the question being asked.

Repeat after me, "Theia is still under development'.

Last edited:

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Not a bad question to ask. If anything could detect if there is a signal in that, Theia would probably be the one.
Still i doubt its a thing.

I don’t think Theia’s Receiver will be working in the THz range. LEDs in and of themselves don’t emit RF energy plus even if they did there is no antenna hence to focus or for gain. RF energy associated with LEDs comes from the AC components of their driver circuits (think home lighting or street lamps). The overwhelmingly majority of Lidar Guns are pure DC devices so no RF generating AC components. Take a DESL for example, how much RF energy could be produced with two C batteries especially from components with no RF energy generation intention?

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
There certainly seems to be a subset of rdf members whose goal seems to be to present the most rare set of circumstances then ask how the new device will respond, e.g.,

How will Theia handle the following. I think I have captured most of the most obtuse use cases below. :) Feel free to add your own favorite use cases. Perhaps you could win a Professional Fun Sucker T shirt.:p

1. Driving on to a military base.
2. The base is a place where they test "Your speed is' signs.
3. All of the signs are equipped with out of tune radar guns,
4. The radar guns have all been dropped before being installed in the sign.
5. Standing next to each sign is a less than sober enlisted soldier triggering an automatic door opener that has been modified to exactly mimic a radar gun.
6. All soldiers on this base drive Mazdas and they are all parked around the "Your Speed Is' signs.
7. All the Mazdas are running, with their emergency brakes on, and their transmissions in reverse.
8. If Theia cannot handle this set of circumstances, will we be able to use GPS lockouts to ignore this location.
9. And how much will it cost?

And, to top it off, some of these rdf members get a nuclear tech-wedgie when someone from Radenso does not answer with excruciating detail within minutes of the question being asked.

Repeat after me, "Theia is still under development'.
While the above is obviously tongue and cheek, I think one of the best things that could've happened to Theia is exactly whats happening now. Radenso is being extremely open about their new tech with RDF during development, and the members of RDF are bringing scenarios to Radenso's attention that they may not have thought of previously. I can definitely see how some would characterize this as "fun sucking," but in the end I believe Theia will be a much better detector because of it.

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
While the above is obviously tongue and cheek, I think one of the best things that could've happened to Theia is exactly whats happening now. Radenso is being extremely open about their new tech with RDF during development, and the members of RDF are bringing scenarios to Radenso's attention that they may not have thought of previously. I can definitely see how some would characterize this as "fun sucking," but in the end I believe Theia will be a much better detector because of it.

Exactly. The whole point of RDF is not having a lap-dog mentality. Guess some people want to complain about questions being raised but every forum will have its blind followers.

dougr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Radenso is being extremely open about their new tech with RDF during development, and the members of RDF are bringing scenarios to Radenso's attention that they may not have thought of previously.

Agreed. Even if no particular comment is absorbed into the design, it's extraordinary how rdf literally has the ear of management. We all need to relish this chance to be heard.

Thanks you Jon for the Radenso culture. It starts with you.

Nine_C1

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Exactly. The whole point of RDF is not having a lap-dog mentality. Guess some people want to complain about questions being raised but every forum will have its blind followers.

It's all good. I'm sure some of this will be annoying to Radenso as well as other members, all the repetitive questions and perhaps the appearance of trying desperately to find a chink in the armor.

But the best case scenario for obtaining customer feedback is in the development cycle. If there is just one good idea in all of this, now is the best time to take advantage of it. In past examples of pre-production involvement, it was both very limited to a handful of individuals and no real opportunity to affect the outcome. In other words, the product was already set and even the most warranted suggestions (like, these cases are coming apart and need fixed) were too late to act on.

Just accept the golden rule, you can't satisfy everybody. But this IS the way to do it. Remember, Radenso's claim to fame will be sifting through all the noise to find the real threats. Same process here......…a lot of background noise to deal with but there may be something worth while to latch onto.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I like how some members here are having a lapse of judgement... and will throw money at something completely untested.

Trust but verify... that’s what this community was founded on. Something we’ve been getting away from. That’s unfortunate.

Very quickly at the beginning of the video with the engineer he says they’re looking at “phase, amplitude, and frequency.” So for all of you that were saying frequency doesn’t play a part obviously it does if you’ve got an engineer talking about it. Then he even expands upon it when he talks about frequency shift when the gun warms up. The carrier signal shift in frequency is what the AI looks at... not the carrier signal frequency. More importantly this detector is looking at phase so it is important to have this detector trained on many if not all orientations or have software to understand its whole transmit phase patterns in different orientations.

Last edited:

MikePA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just as every forum has members who can't take a joke and insult anyone who disagrees with them.

Last edited:

Riptide

Recovering M3 Addict
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I like how some members here are having a lapse of judgement... and will throw money at something completely untested.

Trust but verify... that’s what this community was founded on. Something we’ve been getting away from. That’s unfortunate.
Keep in mind that something this exciting hasn't happened in this industry since....? Honest question, what do people think qualifies?
This is a slow moving industry and people are finally really really excited about something. Personally I think this overall situation is very beneficial for the community. At the end of the day, this will be a luxury product and the people who preorder before 3rd party testing are taking a calculated risk. I don't think this detector will be perfect, but I'm confident RDF's members will expose its flaws.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Red Baron