Drivers of lifted trucks, what are you attempting to compensate for?

tempnexus

Breaking The Social Norm One Post at a time
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
You are exempt from the question if you own a farm or haul a lot of equipment.

Edit:
Just so we understand each other. I am not talking about regular pickup trucks. I am talking about lifted pickup trucks. I.e.
2432028-bigthumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I own a truck. It's not lifted but this question annoys me. I see people ask it if you own a gun, if you drive a truck, if you have a sports car...... I think it's weird. It comes off as jealousy to me. Why are you worried about other men? Serious question.

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I own a truck. It's not lifted but this question annoys me. I see people ask it if you own a gun, if you drive a truck, if you have a sports car...... I think it's weird. It comes off as jealousy to me. Why are you worried about other men? Serious question.
I found that many lifted truck drivers are assholes...not all of them...but a large percentage. They tailgate you even if you are in a right lane and are going +10PSL. Have misaligned light or way too many lights so they just blind the hell out of you at night. Can't park worth a damn since it's too much of a truck for them. Swerve all over their lane and many times encroach into your lane (again too much of a truck for them). And many run coal.

Oh and I am not talking about regular pickup trucks. I am specifically talking about lifted trucks. I.e

2432028-bigthumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My baldness and poor self-value/confidence. Helps out a lot when I can throw my guns in the bed, go out to a field, and let the sweet smell of diesel exhaust and half burnt gunpowder begin to manifest a 1% chance of going home with that girl I matched with on Tinder who’s so far out of my league not even god wants it to happen but gives me a pass anyways because he even feels bad for me.

VariableWave

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Around this area, there used to be a law on how high trucks can be, but looks like that isn't being upheld. The Caroline squat is the dumbest thing I have seen with a truck.... acting like the truck is Hauling a big load... a load of crap that is. Then also, though with cars as well, HID/ wrong LEDs for Headlights that blind you completely from the road.

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

To further state on what Temp is getting at, it’s a questioned asked when the tool goes far beyond the perspective of utility. Sometimes it’s jealousy but sometimes you look at a something and think well it looks cool but what does it actually do?

Tacticool guns, mall crawling trucks, and garage Queen porches exceed any sort of logical use. Not all the time but most of the time they’re an ego booster. Especially in the modern days of social media where social acceptance and recognition is just a post away. I ran an Instagram page once for trucks and so many people were desperate for the chance to get posted. On top of that I got to talk directly with people who are “influencers” and honestly the majority were hooked on the drug of attention. It was an easy thing to get for them, but it doesn’t last. And many people go broke just trying to get it. This isn’t a new concept in the least.

Hell look at the Ford Raptor or even more basic, a Jeep Wrangler. Around here the only people driving them are wearing suits. There’s a few that aren’t and do actually take them down a dirt road once in a while but it’s a very rare percentage. People truly are starving for image and status recognition. It’s almost a disease.

Last edited:

auskip07

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
lol, im thinking of lifting my tacoma 2 inches to fit 285 width tires on it. But those that lift 6" + and put 20" rims look weird to me.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have to agree with temp here. I usually stay away from this because I really do think that you should do with your own truck, what you want to. But I do have the anti-lift thing. It makes no sense at all. I think it looks horrible. And I still read a lot of truck forums and it seems like people that do this inevitably get into some sort of a setup problem where the truck steers funky, or wobbles, or other parts don’t fit right, etc., etc.. And I really have noticed that a lot of the people that do this stuff to their trucks are jerks on the road. I watch several pretty good mechanics on youtube for fun and they all seem to feel the same way I do. But, in the end, as I said, it is up to the owner to do whatever he/she wants.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
A small lift is fine but some of these things on the road are more of a joke than anything. People like to personalize their rides, some more than others...and some taking it too far as well.

You have the people who lift them, then you have the people who lower them so they scrape on the ground and do nothing but bounce around as they go down the road at any speed as they have no suspension. I don't understand how people are not leaning out the window getting sick riding in those.

The people who have them 'crazy' lifted never take them off road or use them for their potential, and the people who have them scraping the ground never take them to the track. It is all about what people like and want to be seen in.

Ultimately at some point it come down to nothing but attention.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. The whole "compensating for something" B.S. is getting old.
I don't currently own a lifted truck. I've owned vehicles with lifts in the past.
I've got guns too.
The only thing I've ever needed compensation for was a 338 Ultra Mag.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I think normally it's to fit bigger tires. Bigger tires and lifting is for going more aggressive off road. Which might include streams, rocks, mud and/or snow. When the tires go near or outside fenders you need even more clearance above them. Going over rocks can need lot of clearance. Just like making a car look sporty someone might put a spoiler to look fast but doesn't really do anything and has no plans to race it. The raising higher than practical or at all (can) become more of show thing (mostly to like minded other off roaders) than actually going off road (it could be either). So they might compete in truck pulls, go off road a lot or do it just for show. No different than sports cars.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You are exempt from the question if you own a farm or haul a lot of equipment.
No, the question goes double for them, since massive lifts reduce or eliminate the capacity of the truck to do the job. My F250 is stock height and does a great job pulling any trailer, bumper pull or gooseneck, I’ve ever put behind it. Except that, yes, the whole “compensating for something” line is shallow and played out.

I found that many lifted truck drivers humans are assholes...not all of them...but a large percentage.
Fixed that for you.

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
A small lift is fine but some of these things on the road are more of a joke than anything. People like to personalize their rides, some more than others...and some taking it too far as well.

You have the people who lift them, then you have the people who lower them so they scrape on the ground and do nothing but bounce around as they go down the road at any speed as they have no suspension. I don't understand how people are not leaning out the window getting sick riding in those.

The people who have them 'crazy' lifted never take them off road or use them for their potential, and the people who have them scraping the ground never take them to the track. It is all about what people like and want to be seen in.

Ultimately at some point it come down to nothing but attention.

And also theese

f5hpvp9qirq01.jpg
g4q1dpttmhkz.jpg
gjhwruil17q01.jpg
v5vsxjvdipsy.jpg

Last edited:

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've never owned a truck, let alone a lifted one (didn't grow up in the boonies lol), but I do think the truck/lift hate coming from the sports car crowd is annoying. Using a lifted truck designed for extreme off-roading for commuting is no more pointless than the lowered sports car designed for the track.

And car/truck culture has its silly extremes on both sides of the isle. Lifted trucks with low profile tires are about as dumb as stanced civics. But hey, its a form of expression, if the owner likes it and it's not so extreme as to make the car less safe for others on the road, then go for it. Makes the road more interesting having one less silver crossover with a texting driver on the road.

To be clear, this is limited to mods ostensibly designed to improve a vehicle's performance in some arena. I'm not defending douchebaggery like rolling coal or those bumper stickers with the guy peeing on a chevy/ford logo, truck nuts, etc.

Last edited:

spongebobradarpants

aka "The Grouch"
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my personal experience it's because 100% of people who own these (ridiculously lifted and cheapily modified) trucks are in road rage "I own the road and I'll attempt to murder anyone who I perceive as slighting me" mode 24/7 with zero exceptions.
Post automatically merged:

I found that many lifted truck drivers are assholes...not all of them...but a large percentage. They tailgate you even if you are in a right lane and are going +10PSL. Have misaligned light or way too many lights so they just blind the hell out of you at night. Can't park worth a damn since it's too much of a truck for them. Swerve all over their lane and many times encroach into your lane (again too much of a truck for them). And many run coal.

Oh and I am not talking about regular pickup trucks. I am specifically talking about lifted trucks. I.e

View attachment 133533
Oh yeah that's another thing, 100% of them also have ebay HID kits which are a federal crime, and a significant amount use their light bars or HID kits in their fog lights also. Rolling felony.

The only trucks you actually see out on the NF roads are lifted maybe 2-4", you'll never see one of those 2 foot lift dually atrocities on actual trails out here. They exist just to threaten other people on the road it seems. Small lift or otherwise sane truck, totally fine, I don't even think twice. Start pulling shit that affects other drivers and you're a massive douche.

Last edited:

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Surprisingly I’m more fine with rolling coal than I am with negative camber or lifted trucks that aren’t off roading In their lives (ever) . And the rolling LED bars is seriously dangerous. It’s like the sun is coming at you and then BAM glare and seeing spots for a few second afterwards. What if we had cataracts ? Lol
Post automatically merged:

I’m dying with these pics hahahhhaha
Especially the one that looks like it’s gonna start shoveling with an old 18 wheelers popped wheel as a front bumper hahhahaha

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Surprisingly I’m more fine with rolling coal than I am with negative camber or lifted trucks that aren’t off roading In their lives (ever) . And the rolling LED bars is seriously dangerous. It’s like the sun is coming at you and then BAM glare and seeing spots for a few second afterwards. What if we had cataracts ? Lol
That goes triple for anyone who had early Lasik and thus, see halos around lights at night.

Again I don't mind if the car has a purpose like it's honestly used in the mud zone etc....which you can tell by the car. The trouble I have is that most of the drivers of those trucks that I met on the road are really assholish and dangerous to be around...where it be because they ride your ass, don't stay in their lane or blind you with modded lights.

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I couldn’t get away from the fart can civics in the northeast when I was there.
Roaring like they’re about to blast off into space with the big spoiler in the back . And then you look for it and you see that the lawn mower across the street is going faster than the civic (or evo or accord or corolla or whatever it may be )

The moved to the south and most pickup drivers are normal. But yes the liftedness.

I kinda want a raptor though. Just sayin.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy