Any hope for Android Auto?

Beemerchef

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if anyone has managed to get JBV1 to reliably work on Android Auto.

Been working on it today but nope! The best I have done is run JBV1 on my phone, the V1G2 and Waze on Android car. Waze actually has a bug that way!

I know why JBV1 will not be on Android Auto but I cannot quite explain it! Something to do with Google needing/wanting something which will take away the privacy and we for sure don't want that. Hope it makes sense...

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
JBV1 doesn't fit into any of the classes of apps allowed to run within Android Auto.

Mystic330

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah dang dude watching this video makes me wish I picked a head unit that supports screen mirroring
Yeah - I think the best option for those having the ability to switch head units would be to get a unit that runs android (and allows 3rd party apps) - But all the newer cars have such integration with the audio/HVAC/Car and screen, it's hard to replace just the radio/entertainment piece.

The rooting process wasn't that difficult following online guides and having JBV1 on the car screen, with touchscreen control, is really nice.
Now if I can figure out split screen to have HR or the new thing being developed up simultaneously with JBV1... :cool:

Mythic01

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah - I think the best option for those having the ability to switch head units would be to get a unit that runs android (and allows 3rd party apps) - But all the newer cars have such integration with the audio/HVAC/Car and screen, it's hard to replace just the radio/entertainment piece.

The rooting process wasn't that difficult following online guides and having JBV1 on the car screen, with touchscreen control, is really nice.
Now if I can figure out split screen to have HR or the new thing being developed up simultaneously with JBV1... :cool:

I do believe they sell radios which integrate these factory functions, no?
You'll likely need to purchase an aftermarket module but they do exist

FastKatt

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was thinking about this all this week.
I've had rooted phones in the past, but it's been over a year since I've needed to root a phone.
I would love to run this on my Sync3 in my Explorer, but since there's other things I'd also like to do...
I think I'll work on it from the other side. Rooting would allow for a hacked AA and the ability to run any app I chose to run.

midd

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
I do believe they sell radios which integrate these factory functions, no?
You'll likely need to purchase an aftermarket module but they do exist

The Joying 3G Sofia Intel units will run JBV1 and ALP Connect but they have to be rooted and only work on Android 5.1.1. These units are 3+ years old. Don’t bother with the newer Joying Units. They won’t work. I bought one recently and sold it after finding out it won’t work.

They do come across on eBay every now and then. I bought another just recently. I tried to upgrade the firmware on a unit I’ve owned for a while and the software updated to Android 6. So far the Bluetooth will not connect, even after I rooted it. I’m giving it one last shot with a customized Rom. I’m installing it tomorrow.

The PX5 Joying’s might work as they are based on a similar chip. But I have no way of knowing for sure and they are hard to come by.

Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

1000fc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I tried to upgrade the firmware on a unit I’ve owned for a while and the software updated to Android 6. So far the Bluetooth will not connect, even after I rooted it.

I have a head unit running some version of android 6 and have been hunting down a consistant Bluetooth disconnect and reconnect issue with JBV1. No issue with the head unit and my phone communicating, but I'm sure it something in my end and not JBV1.

midd

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
Well I installed the custom Rom. JBV1 sees the V1’s Bluetooth but will not connect. The V1CONNECTION app doesn’t see it at all. Android sees it and my ALP Bluetooth but the app can’t.

Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thought I'd revive this thread with an update.
I've installed this app (Screen2Auto) that "hacks" Android auto to allow any app to display in Android Auto:
The main downside is you need to root your phone.
The app itself seems to work good with JBV1. The problem I'm having is more with using a dedicated Android Auto phone (I didn't want to root my main phone) than anything else.

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I thought I'd bump this thread with something of interest to those that want to use JBV1 on their car's infotainment screen.
I'm keeping my eye on this:
It looks a little rough right now, hopefully they can pull it off.

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I found some more interesting information.
The author of Screen2Auto posted a method of installing AA custom apps to get them recognized by AA on an unrooted phone:

The website is in Russian and needs to be translated (it appears to be safe - I haven't had any problems with it). The procedure is pretty simple and he even wrote a script that will do the installation if you aren't familiar with ADB.

I ran the script (which already had Screen2Auto and AA Stream in the apk folder) on my Galaxy S7. Sure enough, both Screen2Auto and AA Stream were available in AA and ran. The problem I encountered is when I opened apps within Screen2Auto/AA Stream those apps wouldn't respond to my cars touchscreen. I could see the apps being mirrored on the touchscreen when I used my phone to navigate and the touchscreen resumed responding when I returned to the Screen2Auto/AA Stream interface.

What this tells me is that if an app is adapted to AA there is hope you could get it to work with AA on an unrooted phone. This could bypass the restrictions that Google puts on apps to make them approved for AA.

Johnboy00, do you have any interest with trying something like this or, perhaps, letting someone else try it? Adapting an app for Android Auto is way beyond my skillset but maybe someone else could do it.

YelloEye

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I thought I had seen something about AA opening up their program a bit to make things easier for app creators. Unable to find a source for that though.

I don't think JBV1 will meet Google QC requirements at present as it doesn't fit any of the 3 normal groupings of AA apps (nav, music/audio/messaging). For it to be a Nav app, it would need to provide turn by turn directions.

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I don't think JBV1 will meet Google QC requirements at present as it doesn't fit any of the 3 normal groupings of AA apps (nav, music/audio/messaging). For it to be a Nav app, it would need to provide turn by turn directions.
That's the advantage of this "Back Door" method. It doesn't require approval from Google. However, no telling how long the door remains open.

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I thought I had seen something about AA opening up their program a bit to make things easier for app creators. Unable to find a source for that though.

You eyes did not deceive you ;)

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've been using a rooted phone to display JBV1 on my infotainment screen but I've managed to get it to to run on Android Auto using an unrooted phone (Galaxy S7).
It has some glitches but it is still better than mounting a phone.

There are instructions here on how to install an AA compatible app that isn't available in the PlayStore on an unrooted phone here:
https://inceptive.ru/blog/50/ustanov...lefony-bez-rut
You'll need to have developer options and USB debugging enabled.
I used his script, deleted the existing apk's in the apk folder, and downloaded version 3.5 Beta of Streen2Auto into the apk folder.
The trick for me was JBV1 needs to be launched from within the Screen2Auto Launcher (I can't just navigate to the phone's screen and open JBV1 - if I do this JBV1 won't respond to the car's touchscreen).
Do this at your own risk and YMMV. And no telling how long this back door will last.

You may also want to try this app to install Screen2Auto:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/a...nfree.4270013/
It didn't work for me (and apparently didn't for a lot of other people) but it is a relatively new app and I'm hoping he gets the bugs worked out.

Good Luck!

Ahole

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've been using a rooted phone to display JBV1 on my infotainment screen but I've managed to get it to to run on Android Auto using an unrooted phone (Galaxy S7).
It has some glitches but it is still better than mounting a phone.

There are instructions here on how to install an AA compatible app that isn't available in the PlayStore on an unrooted phone here:
https://inceptive.ru/blog/50/ustanov...lefony-bez-rut
You'll need to have developer options and USB debugging enabled.
I used his script, deleted the existing apk's in the apk folder, and downloaded version 3.5 Beta of Streen2Auto into the apk folder.
The trick for me was JBV1 needs to be launched from within the Screen2Auto Launcher (I can't just navigate to the phone's screen and open JBV1 - if I do this JBV1 won't respond to the car's touchscreen).
Do this at your own risk and YMMV. And no telling how long this back door will last.

You may also want to try this app to install Screen2Auto:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/a...nfree.4270013/
It didn't work for me (and apparently didn't for a lot of other people) but it is a relatively new app and I'm hoping he gets the bugs worked out.

Good Luck!
I was literally just going to post and all if anyone had seen this new app AAAD (Android Auto apps downloader) .... And if it might allow us to use Android Auto and JBV1??

I have a rooted Pixel and a S21 Ultra not rooted. But haven't figured out the screen to auto install on n the AAAD app yet

Sterling

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was literally just going to post and all if anyone had seen this new app AAAD (Android Auto apps downloader) .... And if it might allow us to use Android Auto and JBV1??

I have a rooted Pixel and a S21 Ultra not rooted. But haven't figured out the screen to auto install on n the AAAD app yet
JBV1 isn't an AA compatible app so another app is required to be an interface between JBV1 and AA. I use Screen2Auto.
I got as far as sideloading AAAD and then installing Screen2Auto from AAAD. However, Screen2Auto didn't show up as an available app in AA.
That's why I went the other route.

Ahole

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've had very little time in the last few days and weekend is crazzy busy BUT ... I did get JBV1 to show up on my Uconnect headunit (native in my Dodge Ram) using a non rooted phone (S21 Ultra) with AAAD installed then with Screen2Auto installed within AAAD .... intial stages but it for sure worked!!!! Many have had difficulty getting screen2auto working in AAAD (ie without root) but I can confirm it worked. I could not get split screen Waze and JBV1 (just a black screen) nor could I see the JBV1 overlays on Waze. But I still have a lot of experimenting to do.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgtmac