Interconversion of a DFR7 US model to a DFR7 NZ

zuul

harvester of sorrow
General User
Reaction score
has anyone made any progress re-tuning their DFR7 since the above discussion about what the other screws do in relation to the center screw? i haven't retuned mine yet b/c i was waiting to see if there was any further progress made by anyone here...

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think immediate attention has changed to doing a similar thing to the DFR9 now.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, I've been absent from this thread for a little. Retune on the DFR7 as Winterbrew has said is working fine. You just need to adjust the 'center' screw when actively tuning against a known radar source, as mentioned previously. Don't adjust anything else. It's actually quite easy to do, just make very small adjustments and allow up to 30 seconds for the frequency reading to update. It just needs a little bit of patience to get it spot on.

As @winterbrew has indicated, I've been doing a lot of testing on the DFR9. I still need to find another redflex van. However, I've been running the DFR9 as my main detector for about two weeks now after an update and retune. That is looking awesome, and in my opinion better under New Zealand conditions as an all round detector than the R3. My feeling is the range on the R3 against Ka will be better. However, the DFR9 is still very responsive on Ka. It also now has low scanning on K band, and running quieter than the converted DFR7 on the NZ spec even without any filters.

Therefore anyone with in New Zealand with a DFR7 wanting to upgrade further, and doesn't want to spend as much as the R7 should seriously now consider the DFR9. Perhaps wait until I complete my testing and post the videos for absolute reassurance. In essence I need to complete comparative testing of an R3 (NZ spec), DFR9 original, DFR9 updated, DFR7 NZ all against the same mobile redflex. My second DFR9 should arrive tomorrow, and I will keep that on its original spec for the comparison.

KABAND

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is this the (OZ) conversion of the DFR9 US detector?

Therefore anyone with in New Zealand with a DFR7 wanting to upgrade further, and doesn't want to spend as much as the R7 should seriously now consider the DFR9. Perhaps wait until I complete my testing and post the videos for absolute reassurance. In essence I need to complete comparative testing of an R3 (NZ spec), DFR9 original, DFR9 updated, DFR7 NZ all against the same mobile redflex. My second DFR9 should arrive tomorrow, and I will keep that on its original spec for the comparison.

zuul

harvester of sorrow
General User
Reaction score
so i successfully tuned my DFR7... it was a chore. first i had to convert back to US firmware. after that i got in my car to find a reliable and consistent source to get my US based frequencies... after i did that i converted the DFR7 back to NZ firmware. then came the fun part. the tuning... based on my initial observations after the conversion back to NZ spec it was about .05GHZ off... my US based frequency was 24.09 and it dropped to 24.04 after conversion to NZ firmware. the process of tuning it properly was very fiddly... turns out the #0-0 jewelers flat head screw driver fit perfectly in the tuning screw. the first few times i did it... i would drive around the block... and when i got back to my source... it had either gone up or down by .01 or .02... so i messed with it some more and was able to drive all over the city to check a few other sources i had marked down... come back to my original source and it was still reading 24.09. yay!

thanks again to @Mithheru... his conversion protocol works flawlessly... in both directions... converting to NZ or converting back to US once you have switched to NZ. furthermore his youtube video (above in this thread) on how to disassemble and tune the DFR7 are right on the money. i felt confident going into the project because Mike made it look so easy... and it was! even with my propensity to mess up things like this it was essentially foolproof!

looking forward to some road trips this spring/summer. curious to test the NZ firmware in the real world on the highway and such...

astronot

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
On NZ Ka band detection was problematic.
I reinstalled NZ fw and calibrated the detector.
I switched and measured several times with Us and NZ. Ka is detected in NZ 33.8 while in us firmware 33.9.
The slight difference of the center switch is visible in the pictures
Original position RDD.swich_crUS.png After calibrated RDD.swich_NZ.jpg

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just as a side note. For anyone with a converted DFR7 NZ detector in NZ or Au, I have now released two new database versions: 2.15 for Au and 2.18 for NZ.

I am also in the process of aligning and sharing all of my gps updates and build processes with pocketGPSworld (https://www.pocketgpsworld.com). Therefore going forward, anyone with a valid subscription should be able to get access to a gps database built for their Uniden detector covering anywhere in the world. I think this could mark a major new step forward, as it is mutually beneficial to all.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
i would drive around the block... and when i got back to my source... it had either gone up or down by .01 or .02..

If you can park near the source, you should find you can tune on the spot. After turning the screw a very small amount, wait up to about 15 seconds, and you should see the frequency shift. I also turn off, and turn on, and repeat until I'm happy the frequency is averaged on what I expect.

Not a precise science, but with a bit of patience, you should be able to get it about right. I find when testing and comparing to new units, the variance of those is at least as much as those which I have retuned. In essence, I think when you think you're done, turn on and off five times (measuring each time), and if you're still happy with the averaged frequency its probably as good as anyone can get it.

zuul

harvester of sorrow
General User
Reaction score
today i was out driving around doing various rd related checks and balances and when i was on my way home on the highway my Ka band alert went off and it was reading 34.7 and about a mile and a half or 2 miles later i stumbled upon a motorcycle cop giving someone a ticket... as i got closer and then passed him i noticed the frequency jumped a bit to 34.8... anyway... i'm glad to report that after converting to NZ spec and after fine tuning I got my first accurate Ka hit from a confirmed LE source.

very exciting.

great little rd that DFR7... glad i made that purchase when i did... not only did i get it dirt cheap... but they seem to be sold out on amazon now and are getting somewhat scarce...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Nice well done.

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey all, I have firmware updated my US DFR7 to the NZ firmware, and that is all well. However, I am wondering if there is anyone in or near Hamilton who can point me to a known fixed K band radar source (like a speed sign or something) and tell me the frequency? I need to re-tune my detector, but don't want to have to wipe my lockouts and reflash back to US firmware just to get a known frequency on something. Any assistance appreciated. (There is a speed sign as you drive in to the hospital gate two just before the carpark if anyone wants to check that one?) I think it's somewhere around 24.23Ghz?? but need to verify.

Thanks so much.

Dokki

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi Mithheru,
My DFR7 isn't boot up anymore.
I bought DFR7 from us and I did firmware update with above files and it was OK no issue at all but after then I did try to update DB but it wasn't update. So I did try many things but after then DFR7 wasn't boot up. even power on, nothing on lcd.
I think the problem was wrong firmware I did upload. I did put firmware from nz site which I attached.

Now I'm unable to do anything! all firmware update s/w doesn't download.
Is there any way to update proper firmware please?

This is for my son's birthday gift but it became useless lol

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi Mithheru,
I bought DFR7 from us and I did firmware update with above files and it was OK no issue at all but after then I did try to update DB but it wasn't update. So I did try many things but after then DFR7 wasn't boot up. even power on, nothing on lcd.
I think the problem was wrong firmware I did upload. I did put firmware from nz site which I attached.

This highlights why it is critically important to follow the instructions exactly.

In the instructions file, it indicates Tools Needed:

1) DFR7 US Firmware Update Manager (DFR7FWUpdateManager.exe)
2) DFR7 NZ Database Update Manager (DFR7NZDBUpdateManagerv1.00.exe)

These are the only tool needed to complete the installation and install the NZ format GPS database files for now and in the future (the database files can be written for anywhere in the world, but need to be in the NZ format for use on the DFR7 NZ).

At no point should you ever i.e. NOT NOW, and NOT EVER IN THE FUTURE use the blulink NZ DFR7 firmware update tool.

[If there ever is an update to the DFR7 for US or NZ, I will provide new files, and new instructions for installing them]

Once converted you can keep using the DFR7NZDBUpdateManagerv1.00.exe for future GPS database updates.

There is also a separate pathway for converting back to the US DFR7 firmware. However, specifically to avoid confusion, that is not available publicly solely for the purpose of stopping people being confused. An incorrect installation will be fatal and is not recoverable.
Post automatically merged:

If you need gps database files, please send me a PM as my files are unique files which are updated and often build uniquely for each detector (NZ and AU especially). You can also install Official Uniden NZ gps database files on the converted DFR7 NZ (these can be downloaded from the blulink website).

However, the key thing to remember is: ONLY ever use the DFR7NZDBUpdateManagerv1.00.exe that you used when doing the conversion. If you find yourself installing new DFR7 upload tools, STOP then ask yourself why you are doing that?

If ever you are not sure about something when updating your DFR7, please ask before you try. The DFR7 is not very forgiving, if you make it do something it doesn't agree with, it can change your mood very quickly. Remember, I'm always happy to help. However, I cannot fix everything.

Last edited:

UncleArthur

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi Mithheru,

The only option you have is to plead ignorance, contact the vendor and say you have received the device ordered (thank you), but for some reason you can't get it to power up.
If you are lucky, they might warranty replace it.

Do not mention anything about firmware.
I might know someone who has gone that route successfully in that situation..... (walks away whistling)

Dokki

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Please don't update with blulink firmware with above firmware. Your device will be unrecoverable like mine lol.
You must read instruction on the file before do anything then should be fine. After you upload firmware, you must not using blulink firmware!!!

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Please don't update with blulink firmware with above firmware. Your device will be unrecoverable like mine lol.
You must read instruction on the file before do anything then should be fine. After you upload firmware, you must not using blulink firmware!!!

Please could you keep me updated on what you decide to do. I understand it was intended as a birthday present, and I hope something can be done. As you are the first to make this mistake since the conversion and notes were finallised, I'm happy to make a donation towards the cost of a new one if needed. Obviously my warning in the notes was not enough. I'm hoping people will not follow in your footsteps, now we've made the warning on this thread a bit clearer.

codywittaka69

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Mithheru hey, I can’t seem to pm you is there any way you can? I have some questions about the US dfr7??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Mithheru hey, I can’t seem to pm you is there any way you can? I have some questions about the US dfr7??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably because you have just joined the forum. Perhaps start with a post on the introduction section.
If not I'll send you a PM in a day or so.
Post automatically merged:

Thinking about some of the potential conversion issues. I think many now would be reversible and recoverable.

Please don't try this at home, but I think reversing the installation steps although causing difficulties leading to a failed conversion could be reversed. Therefore, if an installation doesn't succeed (e.g. bad cable / download fail), it may well be recoverable if you contact me to help you work backwards.

THE MAIN ESSENTIAL THING TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COST - would be to attempt to reinstall a blulink DFR7 NZ firmware onto a converted detector. => DO NOT INSTALL BLULINK FIRMWARE filed on a converted DFR7. - The difference in firmware encryption will be terminal and so far cannot be recovered.

Note the blulink NZ GPS database files are fine to install (but then why would you? Since my database files are generally more accurate and comprehensive).

Therefore the conversion zip file still contains all the essential conversion files and upload tools. You should never need to use any other upload tools for the DFR7.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal