ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Just published v2.0 to the Play Store.

This is the first version containing non police-related features, specifically hazards, cameras and weather map. Starting from v2 police alerts will be one of primary features of this app though not the only one as it used to be before.

Here are the main changes:
  • Added map overlays (can be activated from quick access menu)
    • Heat map overlay
      Heat maps are generated based on historical police reports and represent a chance of seeing a police in the given place. Unlike risk scores heat maps are showing the risk relative to the overall police activity in the area and are not uniform across the world. This feature replaces the planned "hot spots" feature since such spots are clearly visible on the map. Heat maps overlay was created for Highway Radar (it is not an external one) and I've spent quite a few time to make it nice.
    • Weather radar overlay
      Currently I'm pulling precipitation data from open weather maps and do some post processing to make them more visible on the map. If you have any idea where I can pull better maps I'll appreciate your input since I'm not entirely satisfied with OWM maps quality.
    • Traffic jams overlay (just a standard Google Traffic layer)
  • Added alerting on road hazards
    Road hazards are pulled together with Police alerts from **ze crowd-sourced server and displayed on the map. Currently Highway Radar can alert on accidents, objects on road, pot holes, road kills, animals and stopped vehicles. If you think any other alerts are needed please let me know.
    Also, due to this change police alerts are renamed to crowd-sourced alerts which include both police and hazards.
  • Added alerting speed and red-light cameras (currently US and Canada only)
    Data were taken from POI-factory, matched with couple other sources and went though heavy post-processing in order to estimate directions and approach paths. This is an early version of cameras-alerts, I have some plans on how to make them better (though it will take some time).
  • Added support for settings profiles
    There are three built-in settings profiles accessible from quick-access menu. Profiles store all settings of the application and allow to easily retrieve them while driving. For example this may be used from switching between city and highway modes. To record your current settings to a profile, just press and hold the profile button.
  • Added quick-access menu, available while monitoring is active
    From quick access menu you can switch profiles and map layers. Also settings are accessible though quick-access menu while monitoring is active.
  • Map is the default display mode now
    New installs should start with the map mode by default.
  • TTS improvements
    Announcement for distances <0.25 mi, many bug fixes.
This version contains many major updates so it may not be super stable despite I've put a lot of effort into testing it. However if there are any critical bugs I'll do my best to fix them ASAP.

Note, it may take some time for the update to be delivered (sometimes up to 24h).

hwr.jpg

Delaney

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
The heat map and zooming in on it and various spots is fascinating. For example, I can't remember who, but a couple of members were talking about the Romulus, MI trap recently. Well here's the heat map of it.

Heat map.jpg

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks, Ferius.

There's a piece I can't figure out and perhaps it's not configurable. The app displays LEOs sometimes 8 - 10 miles away (radius, I believe). I have my alerting set to 2 miles. Is there any way to limit the radius the app is looking at? Am I missing something?

turbofish

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Every time I think it is perfect, it just gets a bit more perfecter [is that a word?]. Love the new profile and heat map

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
The heat map is AWESOME. I love being able to see places that may not be currently marked, but historically are hot beds for activity. Meaning tread carefully!

Side note: Where is the donate button in the app? I have some google play survey money I could throw into the pot.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks, Ferius.

There's a piece I can't figure out and perhaps it's not configurable. The app displays LEOs sometimes 8 - 10 miles away (radius, I believe). I have my alerting set to 2 miles. Is there any way to limit the radius the app is looking at? Am I missing something?
Thanks for feedback. I recommend checking this reply, probably this one is about your case: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/92910/#post-1342438

The heat map is AWESOME. I love being able to see places that may not be currently marked, but historically are hot beds for activity. Meaning tread carefully!

Side note: Where is the donate button in the app? I have some google play survey money I could throw into the pot.
It is in the first message of the pinned post. Thanks =)

CPB

Advanced User
Reaction score

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Crying over here in the IOS world!!! :crying:

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Some great additions! Maybe it's just me but the map is really laggy when moving around using your finger. Even clicking the setting icon is slow to bring up the menu. This is on a Pixel 2.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback. I recommend checking this reply, probably this one is about your case: https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?threads/92910/#post-1342438

It is in the first message of the pinned post. Thanks =)

Thanks, this seems to make sense, at least to me. I don't see any reason to display information that far away unless it would require a lot of work to control that radius/distance.

I think you're talking about grey alerts in the bottom.

Alerting distances are about beeper and announcements -- basically non-grey alerts on the screen. For alerts outside the range you'll never get a beeper or an announcement. They're also displayed last in the list. This behavior is by design.
Grey alerts are alerts that were fetched from the server but not in the range configured.

Possibly I'll add an option to hide such alerts.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Some great additions! Maybe it's just me but the map is really laggy when moving around using your finger. Even clicking the setting icon is slow to bring up the menu. This is on a Pixel 2.
Hm, this is strange. Which Android version do you have? Maybe I can try to repro this in the emulator first. Did you try to reinstall the application?

Twi7ch

brap brap
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hm, this is strange. Which Android version do you have? Maybe I can try to repro this in the emulator first. Did you try to reinstall the application?

After clearing the app cache and performing a force stop it's snappy again.

dimensions4700

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
WOW the heatmap is awesome! This app just keeps on getting better. Thanks for the frequent updates.

Just a suggestion - maybe allow custom sounds for the alerts instead of the preset ones? Other than that I've had no issues whatsoever. Having this in PIP with Waze is a lifesaver.

ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
WOW the heatmap is awesome! This app just keeps on getting better. Thanks for the frequent updates.

Just a suggestion - maybe allow custom sounds for the alerts instead of the preset ones? Other than that I've had no issues whatsoever. Having this in PIP with Waze is a lifesaver.

Thanks for the feedback!
I thought about this feature though it is not in the low-priority list. BTW if there is some type of sound you think worth adding to the app, I'm happy to add more options.

CPB

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!
I thought about this feature though it is not in the low-priority list. BTW if there is some type of sound you think worth adding to the app, I'm happy to add more options.
You might regret it! I'd love the radar bogey alert from 0079 Mobile Suit Gundam.
Post automatically merged:

One thing I notice is that if the aircraft data source cannot connect, but Waze can. The risk score goes away and just displays connection problems in the risk bar. Aircraft is a nice to have, but not sure it was always be necessity. This brings me to two points.

-Would it be possible to set a status on the sources to "Optional", that way if available risk score utilizes it, but otherwise ignores if unavailable.
-Can anything be done to troubleshoot when connection problems occur from the user side in app? I'm not exactly sure what to investigate, as aircraft data has been working in the past.

Last edited:

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I became the lucky host to a quite persistent and extremely annoying AdChoice pop-up full screen ad campaign. Need help figuring a few things out.

- Phone is a Nextbit Robin, pure Android, 7.1 (no provider crap, except T-Mobile visual voicemail which I installed on day one a couple of years ago).

- Behavior started approximately two weeks ago
- The only app I have installed on this phone (dedicated old one) in the previous weeks is Highway Radar.

- The pop-up will begin with a horizontal "startup" animation across the screen, looking basically like a spinning gray Twizzler (gray line, approx 2mm thick on a 5.2" screen and looking like a spinning drill bit or something like that)
- It will always be a quite "polite" ad - for online books, for Amazon reading apps and whatnot. No pills or hair loss stuff
- It is full screen, and stays there for several seconds
- When HR is in split screen mode, the ad will be covering only the split part that HR is taking.

- ANY attempt at catching it with the All Apps button will immediately close it.
- Clicking on the little blue arrow in the add sent me to ADS-B Exchange dot com.

- Behavior persisted after updating to 2.0 (or, did I have 2.0 for a longer time, being a beta tester ?)
- Uninstalling HR stops this behavior completely.
- I was not able to verify whether pop-ups persist when HR is NOT running at all - I believe yes.

I am not sure whether HR comes bundled with this (I wouldn't expect it to), whether I already have some AdChoices crap installed on my phone, which would go hot when HR is installed, or whether it's an ADS-B thing. But either way - I can't use it this way. The ads are extremely obnoxious.

Please advise.
Thanks

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have detected no ads in HR

Same for me on my main phone.

But I have it happening on the dedicated phone, and it only happens when HR is installed, so I have to share this.
It could very well be that I caught something on that phone a couple of weeks ago and it messes up only apps installed since, or it hijacks the check for flight data (hence the link in the ad pointing to ADS-B) - I don't know. That's why I'm asking the ones who might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49