R7 or Max 360C for a bike?

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm riding a '19 BMW R1200GS Adv and have a very long in the tooth V1 (16 years old) that has never been upgraded. Now that I finally decided to upgrade, I get stuck in the "in 2 weeks" infinite loop. So I'm trying to decide between an R7 or Max 360C to replace it. I decided to try the R7 and picked one up a few days ago. Unfortunately, I never got to test it out on the bike because the display is defective and I'm returning it. I liked the R7, but am wondering what if anything I might be missing vs. a MAX 360C on a motorcycle. I've watched and read @Vortex's comparison between the two and it's really a toss up. Price is no longer a pro/con as they are both now $599 (locally). Whichever one I get will be mounted on a RAM magnetic power plate III. Thoughts on either with regard to use on a motorcycle?

aleaddict

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have nothing to contribute for comparison other than I own a '17.5 BMW 1200GS Rallye and, like you, got tired of waiting "2 WEEKS" for a V1. Purchased a R7 from Amazon and awaiting delivery early next week. Curious as to what led you to the decision to buy the R7 over the Max 360C?

odiddy

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Would go R7, the 360 still had detection lockout issues and bugs (they might be resolved, but I haven’t tested that out since the new firmware)

R7 seems to have longer overall detection range, and the rear horn is much more sensitive (overall better situational awareness). The screen is also much larger and easier to see while you are riding your bike

The V1 will still have the best laser detection of any detector

You have some tradeoffs to consider, but overall I think you will be happy with the robustness of r7

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have nothing to contribute for comparison other than I own a '17.5 BMW 1200GS Rallye and, like you, got tired of waiting "2 WEEKS" for a V1. Purchased a R7 from Amazon and awaiting delivery early next week. Curious as to what led you to the decision to buy the R7 over the Max 360C?
I drive a lot through Illinois and Canada (Detroit <-> Buffalo), so MRCD/CT detection, range and RDD immunity were pretty important in my decision process. The major downside for the R7 is the lack of Bluetooth connectivity, a major draw for the MAX 360C.

My real frustration is getting audio alerts (regardless of detector) reliably up into my helmet. Between the BMW TFT, Nav VI, iPhone and PackTalk Bold, I'm operating in a Bluetooth jungle where these devices refuse to play together reliably and nicely. :mad: I'm about to try Bluetooth transmitter #3 in my search for a viable solution.
Post automatically merged:
Would go R7, the 360 still had detection lockout issues and bugs (they might be resolved, but I haven’t tested that out since the new firmware)

R7 seems to have longer overall detection range, and the rear horn is much more sensitive (overall better situational awareness). The screen is also much larger and easier to see while you are riding your bike

The V1 will still have the best laser detection of any detector

You have some tradeoffs to consider, but overall I think you will be happy with the robustness of r7
I got to try out the R7 briefly in my car, but not on the bike. There's quite a learning curve coming from my V1, but I was pretty impressed with how much you can fine tune it to your needs. My V1 is working OK, but with 16 years on the clock really needs to be upgraded/replaced. So, another R7 is likely in my future. Hopefully it doesn't have any flaws like the previous one.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmos4