Getting detector audio into helmet

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I ride a 2019 BMW R1250GS Adv with the TFT display and the BMW Nav VI GPS. For helmet audio, I have a Cardo PackTalk Bold headset with 2 Bluetooth channels. Mobile phone 1 channel is paired with the TFT (music/podcasts and phone calls) and the mobile phone 2/GPS channel is paired to the BMW Nav VI (GPS directions). My iPhone is paired with both the TFT (music/phone calls) and the Nav VI (Garmin SmartLink for weather/traffic). This leaves no available Bluetooth channels to route radar detector (Valentine One) alerts up into the PackTalk Bold. I'm currently relying on a Marc Parnes Visual Alert system (4 bright LEDs) to get my attention to an alert from the V1. They work well, but if I'm looking left or right, I may miss the flash. I'd really like to hear the audio as no matter where I'm looking, it'll get my attention. Currently the V1 is buried in a tank bag so it attracts no attention, but I'm going to try moving it to a RAM mount near the right mirror stalk to get better detection/range. Additionally, my V1 is getting pretty long in the tooth and needs to be upgraded. Unfortunately, that has not been an option for many months. I may just retire it and replace it with a Uniden R7. My primary concern with the R7 is sunlight readability. Any wisdom/suggestions out there for solutions?

IMG_3519.jpg

BMW rider

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I ride a 2019 BMW R1250GS Adv with the TFT display and the BMW Nav VI GPS. For helmet audio, I have a Cardo PackTalk Bold headset with 2 Bluetooth channels. Mobile phone 1 channel is paired with the TFT (music/podcasts and phone calls) and the mobile phone 2/GPS channel is paired to the BMW Nav VI (GPS directions). My iPhone is paired with both the TFT (music/phone calls) and the Nav VI (Garmin SmartLink for weather/traffic). This leaves no available Bluetooth channels to route radar detector (Valentine One) alerts up into the PackTalk Bold. I'm currently relying on a Marc Parnes Visual Alert system (4 bright LEDs) to get my attention to an alert from the V1. They work well, but if I'm looking left or right, I may miss the flash. I'd really like to hear the audio as no matter where I'm looking, it'll get my attention. Currently the V1 is buried in a tank bag so it attracts no attention, but I'm going to try moving it to a RAM mount near the right mirror stalk to get better detection/range. Additionally, my V1 is getting pretty long in the tooth and needs to be upgraded. Unfortunately, that has not been an option for many months. I may just retire it and replace it with a Uniden R7. My primary concern with the R7 is sunlight readability. Any wisdom/suggestions out there for solutions?

View attachment 129675

BMW rider
Nice set up/bike!

If you set the color of the display to white I have never had a problem reading the R7, even in Sunny Florida.

The alerts can also be read quite nicely.

Regarding your visual alert, note that it will not work unless you send it in to him to install a pig tail and hence ruining your warranty.

I personally hear the R7 fine even without head phones if I set the right tone, but I do not have an after market exhaust.

Another thing I was doing and it was working nicely was installing to headphones on one side of the helmet (where the sena speaker holes are) and taping them facing towards my ear and running the cable through the helmet and then out the check pads towards the remote, yes , this means that you will be tethered to the detector but it is easy to remove once you get off the bike .

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
have you thought about perhaps changing up the nav portion and using something like waze on your Iphone? if you did that you would get live traffic info and police alerts, and then you could pair your V1 with the iphone via V1conection and get V1 audio alerts from your phone. you would end up with the V1 paired to your phone, and then the phone paired to your helmet, you would get audio alerts from the v1 Nav anf traffic/police alerts from waze through your helmet too. Alternately you could also run a audio line from each deceive's headphones jack to a small 12v powered headphone mixer you install someplace where it will stay dry then connect a bluetooth transmitter to the output of that mixer (say something like this: Behringer MX400 4-Channel Compact Line Mixer | Full Compass) then you will just submix all your audio sources and then transmit that single mixed down audio signal via bluetooth to the helmet.

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
have you thought about perhaps changing up the nav portion and using something like waze on your Iphone? if you did that you would get live traffic info and police alerts, and then you could pair your V1 with the iphone via V1conection and get V1 audio alerts from your phone. you would end up with the V1 paired to your phone, and then the phone paired to your helmet, you would get audio alerts from the v1 Nav anf traffic/police alerts from waze through your helmet too. Alternately you could also run a audio line from each deceive's headphones jack to a small 12v powered headphone mixer you install someplace where it will stay dry then connect a bluetooth transmitter to the output of that mixer (say something like this: Behringer MX400 4-Channel Compact Line Mixer | Full Compass) then you will just submix all your audio sources and then transmit that single mixed down audio signal via bluetooth to the helmet.
Hmmm... interesting ideas that make my head hurt. I'm pretty heavily invested in the nav system (BMW Nav VI) and its unique nav/data capabilities (curvy roads/off-road navigation, weather radar/traffic overlays and tight integration with the bike). You've got me thinking though that maybe I can live without the GPS audio directions and free up a Bluetooth channel to the PackTalk Bold helmet system. I could bring my Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter out of retirement and pair it to the 2nd BT channel of my PackTalk Bold. I just need to figure out how to make the SM10 power on/off with the bike (pulling the battery and powering from the bike's accessory circuit isn't working like it has with many others).

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you do any ADV riding i would keep it, and i mean white out in the middle of nowhere where your phone may not be enough.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you do any ADV riding i would keep it, and i mean white out in the middle of nowhere where your phone may not be enough.

Absolutely. I’ve been in more than a few places with no cell service and I trust Garmin’s maps more than downloading free offline ones for an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was faced with the same issue. I solved it using a Senna SM10 Bluetooth dongle. The SM10 has two wired 3.5mm inputs. I have my GPS plugged into one and my radar detector into the other. My Cardo packtalk is paired to the GPS and the SM10. I have my phone paired to the GPS, but not the cardo. GPS Bluetooth audio settings are set to Phone only. I can make and receive calls via the GPS, as well as listen to music via the GPS. Works well. The SM10 will automatically reduce the volume for the music when the radar detector goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a Sena SM10 that I used previously with a Sena 20S. It combined music from an iPod or MP3 player with the V1 audio and worked pretty well. However, I switched to a Cardo (PackTalk Bold) because I became frustrated with the 20s powering itself off at random (especially in colder temps). I tried using the SM10 with the PackTalk Bold for a while, but it wasn't behaving well and I grew frustrated with having to dig into the tank bag to turn it (and the iPod) on/off. Now with the new bike, I find the BMW TFT integration with my headset & phone is better than it was with the Nav VI GPS, so I've hauled the SM10 out of retirement and will give it a go after I move the V1 to its new mount arriving today.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm using the SM10 with a Packtalk (non-bold, but with the same firmware & version as the bold) and not seeing any compatibility issues.

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a sm10 but indo not know if 8 csn plug in one more gismo in my bike, aux lights, jammers, radar detector , phone , i already blew up a battery lol

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The RAM mount arrived today and I relocated the V1 from inside the tank bag to the right side of the handlebars which should greatly improve detection.
IMG_3520 (1).jpg

Unfortunately, after repeated attempts, the Sena SM10 refuses to play well with the TFT and PackTalk Bold. I can either have music from my iPhone (via the TFT) or V1 alerts (via the SM10), but not both. I'll keep the Marc Parnes visual alert mounted above the GPS and see how this combination behaves.

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The RAM mount arrived today and I relocated the V1 from inside the tank bag to the right side of the handlebars which should greatly improve detection.
View attachment 129760

Unfortunately, after repeated attempts, the Sena SM10 refuses to play well with the TFT and PackTalk Bold. I can either have music from my iPhone (via the TFT) or V1 alerts (via the SM10), but not both. I'll keep the Marc Parnes visual alert mounted above the GPS and see how this combination behaves.
You have to pair your sena ear piece to the sm10 and physically connect the detector and the rest of the electronica to to the sm10 via aux cable.

The sena head piece only supports one source of music (that includes the detector) and one source of voice comms (such as a phone call).

The sm10 takes the music bluetooth connection and distributes all the auxiliaries

zr1

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
My RD (and instrument panel) is completely out of normal sight. So going to a helmet solution worked great. At first I did a LED that lit up. It was responsive and worked great.
Going to an audio version was simpler for the overall bike setup though and also worked great.

And I prefer non-smartphone solutions where I can.

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My setup is a Bluetooth jungle with 4 separate devices ... iPhone, BMW Nav VI (GPS), BMW TFT (electronic dash) & Cardo Packtalk Bold (Bluetooth com), but it works pretty well. I get music, GPS directions and phone calls through the GPS while the iPhone shares data with the TFT. Unfortunately, trying to add another Bluetooth transmitter (V1 audio -> Packtalk Bold) into the mix is problematic. After numerous attempts on my own with various configurations, I finally called Cardo Systems this afternoon. After describing the current system and the capability I wanted it to add, the rep ended up taking down my info and elevating the question to engineering. It was beyond his skill set. Hopefully I get a response with a viable solution soon.

E2S2R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
How well does the bluetooth+RD solution work with earplugs?

I have to wear SNR 35db earplugs with my exhaust, but haven't used bluetooth on top of them.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm using similar foamy ear plugs and can hear my detector fine. The SM10 has a volume boost function that helps a lot. I also have the automatic gain on my Cardo set to max.

Baldy

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So, here's my solution guys...since I can't fit a sena sm10 or sr10 on my RSV4 anywhere...

Flow is as follows:
- Phone is paired with my Cardo SmartH to send out music, take calls, run VVaze, etc.
- Radar detector headphone out has a cord that is plugged into an AirFly bluetooth transmitter hidden in the tail,
- This pairs with a TaoTronics bluetooth receiver (I keep it in my inner jacket/suit pocket)
- This then has a Y cable plugged into it... male end is plugged in to the receiver to send out radar alert audio
- One female end of the Y is plugged into my Cardo comm headphone output via a 3.5mm male to male cable that runs to my helmet where the Cardo SmartH comm is to get audio out of the comm
- The other Y is where my Westone IEM's plug into (since they're basically earplugs, I protect my hearing and can listen to quality audio at a lower volume)

As you can see, my solution isn't glorious, but it works great. Both of the bluetooth units (transmitter and receiver) have over 12 hours of battery life and charge with the same USB as my Cardo. The only caveat is I need to either install a choke on the 3.5mm cord by the AirFly transmitter, or install an EMI surpressor on the radar detector power cord (or both) as I'm picking up faint coilpack ticking on the RSV4 (the R1 has zero noise with just an EMI suppressor). The suppressor I am using is for HID ballasts and inside it consists of a 10,000mfd capacitor, 2 diodes (one for + other -), and a choke.

BMW rider

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Eureka! My Gen 2 Valentine 1 arrived late yesterday and it has solved my challenge of getting radar alerts into my headset. This is the current configuration:
  • 2019 BMW R1250GS Adv with TFT display
  • BMW Nav VI GPS
  • Cardo PackTalk Bold
  • iPhone 11 (running V1 Connection)
  • Valentine One Gen 2
1st thing I did was to delete any Bluetooth connections with the BMW TFT display. The iPhone 11 is paired to the GPS and to the PackTalk Bold (mobile phone 1). The Packtalk Bold is also paired to the BMW Nav VI (GPS pairing). The Valentine One Gen 2 automatically pairs with the iPhone 11 via the V1 Connection app. I just returned from a 360 mile round trip from St. Louis to Paducah, KY and everything worked flawlessly. When the radar detector alerts, the music is muted and I get a band announcement (i.e. Ka, K, X), direction (ahead/behind), frequency and the V1 alert tones.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnl