Damn it I am yet to be hit by LIDAR on BOTH ALP and TMG and it's been 2 years my ROI is looking bleek.

tempnexus

Breaking The Social Norm One Post at a time
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
And my wife is taking note...that's the worst part.

Since she drove it, she was only hit once and that was near Haymarket VA and it's been about 2 years ago.......since than nada.

I envy you all who get hit all the time!

RaggedEdge

RDForum owner and Rdtalk.org Founder
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Like Deacon said, it's insurance. Does your wife get mad since your house hasn't burned down in 2 years, but you have to pay your homeowner's anyway?

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
And my wife is taking note...that's the worst part.

Since she drove it, she was only hit once and that was near Haymarket VA and it's been about 2 years ago.......since than nada.

Didn't you explain to her how probability works? Of course, if she insists on not paying to protect against things that don't happen, you could always ask her to let you practice what she preaches and cancel all life insurance. FWIW, I've told a good friend of mine (after he made some sort of BS claim, as a joke of course, that he is infallible as a driver) that he should have just removed all seatbelts from his cars. He'd be just as alive and well today without them, so all they've been doing over the years is adding weight and reducing fuel economy and performance.

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Like Deacon said, it's insurance. Does your wife get mad since your house hasn't burned down in 2 years, but you have to pay your homeowner's anyway?
Yeah I wish I was a Sim and needed cooking skills. Ok so story time:. My wife wanted me to play Sims since she wanted to share. I hated Sims. So I made a Sim cook and took away the doors so the Sim burnt down with the house. She didn't want me to play Sims again.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
For $300 I'll come out and set an ambush for you (extra $200 for me to wear a police uniform and have a patrol car in a visible spot) with your wife (better yet if she's driving) and you can pretend it was a real encounter and you (or she) got saved from a ticket.

FWIW, my first lidar hit was 2 years after installing my ALPs. They immediately paid for themselves..

oktavf

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've had mine on the bike for a few months. Rushed to get it all installed before my Lake Georgie Americade trip back in June including a roughly 4 hour ride each way to get tested. ZERO LIDAR hits all the way there and back and only a few K/KA hits mainly in upstate NY... Now back in Georgia nada on the weekends except maybe a few hits when rolling onto the highway as I usually hang out in the mountains. Even K/KA is mainly in the cities and school areas which I'm already riding calm and what not. In due time! :cashwallet: :kittyshifty:

thanks

for all the fish
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ton of driving this summer season, without a hit. I dont care, it has saved me in the past and will do so in the future. Just test your system periodically to make sure it is still setup properly!

doubledge

PSL?
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky and think of this as the hobby it is rather than any investment because that's a real tough justification. It is however great fun to geek out with the tech. And for the record I think you need to take @SquirrelMaster up on his offer. I hear his uniform is Velcro and I bet for an extra c note he'll do a lap dance to YMCA while shooting his last gun Charlie's Angles Style. :bmwman::woop::cheerleader::happyanim::police3: (all in good fun)

FWIW, my first lidar hit was 2 years after installing my ALPs. They immediately paid for themselves..

Maybe, if you're a real persistent speeder that gets many tickets or getting caught at reckless driving speeds is there a true financial benefit. Otherwise I'm not so sure. If I got a $350-$400 ticket which I just paid and a couple points that added a total of say $500-$600 to insurance over 2-3 years, it's less than half a proper ALP system. And this assumes you do nothing but pay the fine. Geeking out with this kind of thing is the investment for me. I drive +10-15 daily, within reason of the type of road and conditions, and try to be smart using my RD, waze and a rabbit. If the conditions are not right I stick close to the PSL.

In my more than three decades of driving I’ve gotten 3 tickets. They were +12, +15 and the last one was for +25. All were before the days of Waze and other apps. I went to court for all three, only hired an attorney for the first since it was too far from home and he went to court for me. I simply plead guilty and asked for leniency and was remorseful for each one as I otherwise had a clean record. All were reduced quite a bit. Only one actually went on my record. The cost for all three, the lawyer and the 2 years of increased insurance was less than the cost of a full ALP system at $2300.

If you're smart, observant, use an RD and waze and are not in reckless driving territory with your speed, you can invest that money and use the principal to pay your occasional violations and still make a little something in the end if you’re lucky.

It’s of corse more fun to have the system for sure but not necessarily an investment per say for everyone.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

Choose Life

35.5 hater R3 Day One User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got hit hard with thousands in repairs and havnt put my ALPs back on yet
I took a quick 4 day down to Tampa
Was following a rabbit through mid GA
At 85-100mph
Scanning ahead on waze it's dark about 9pm I see a collection a of pins listed in the last 10 mins I knew it was a trap

It was an explorer 90° in the median
I was middle lane still leading at 73
And I got hit he was spraying me up and down so bad with infrared the R3 went off for over 7 seconds
And the next day considered seeing an optometrist from what that rookie did to my eyes with his PL3 or Stalker

Point is I left on a long trip and followed extra precautions that paid off but It could of been a rear or front bridge shot from 1700ft not marked and I would of been cooked

Never take them off

Last edited:

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In Florida in all my years of driving here I have been hit with laser 5 times, twice I got a ticket for it, on time in lakeview Florida and another time in the turnpike going south in Miami by 152nd sw .

But in I75 Georgia.. Jesus... on the way back from Athens, there was a cop with a laser gun every 5 miles it seemed, I did not have jammers yet , but holy wacamole , on the bridges, behind the bridges, on the side of the road ,behind the trees..I must had gotten hit like 6 to 10 times from Athens to the Florida state line...

I encourage anyone that wants to test their jammers to go to Georgia on I75, or just play it safe and attend a laser test by our members lol.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just ask @erickonphoenix for the Houston hot spots. You'll get hit in no time...lol.

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score

nighthawk

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
More of an insurance thing. I don't think I could possible pay back my install from tickets unless I drive crazy.

Some careers require clean abstracts, I guess it's better safe than sorry. Also removes the "holy crap, I'm getting pulled over" feeling at most speed traps. For me it's just fun to know what's going on around me.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy