Unication G4-G5 user

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Uniden 436hp but was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the Unication G4 or G5.
I know they are not "scanners" however I have seen the YT videos with the Unication next to the 436 with the 436 missing several transmissions. Plus I don't scan that many depts.
That is the problem I am having. Thinking about selling the 436.
Thank you.

azslogan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Unication is great for monitoring one or two radio systems. It doesn’t have the flexibility of a scanner and you have to pay for it to be programmed.

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Unication has the benefit of being able to monitor simulcast systems without issues unlike the 436HP. The software is free and you can program it yourself.

The downside is very limited scanning capabilities.

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What specific problem is it your 436 has?
I have been attempting to make sure I have it programmed correctly. Most of the time I hear only one side of the transmission. When I can hear both sides the talk portion is for lack of a better term "skipping" or "jarbled". Sometimes I don't hear any thing at all.
I spoke with a guy yesterday that is the freq guy for my state. Seemed to really know his stuff. So we doubled checked my control channels and they are there. I know there is a way to find the control channels for my county and I am still pursuing that to confirm I have the correct ones. I could be to far from the tower but I don't think so.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Feel free to look at any other scanners you like, but I think you’re better off figuring out what’s going on with your 436 first.

You shouldn’t need to “program” anything at all to listen to whatever stuff you’re looking for. Just make sure Sentinel is up to date, and that when plugged into your PC the 436’s firmware version and national database are both up to date. Then enable whatever service types you want, set your listening list to use the national database, and set your zip code.

It sounds like you’re trying to fiddle with your favorites and may have veered off in a ditch. Go back and make sure everything works in general first, out of the box.

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks Deacon. I have been messing with this scanner for a year.
I have checked and tripled checked all your suggestions and I appreciate you reminding me of those.
I will try the zip code programming and see what I hear. Thanks again.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You’re probably going to think I’m being facetious, but I’m serious in suggesting before you junk it or sell it or get pissed off and chunk it against the wall, feel free to send it to me. I’m really curious to see if I factory reset it and then push my known working config to it if it then behaves exactly like my 436 when set up side by side or if there’s something different, and I’m happy to do that testing for you.

I’ll probably end up with an SDS200 mounted in my truck that will also serve as my mobile ham shack, but for now I’ve been running my 436 extensively and been very pleased with it.

Out of curiosity, what specific system is it you’re trying to monitor? Will you share a link to the RR database for it?

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Unication is best at monitoring P25 simulcast systems, with the SDS100/200 a close second. I returned my SDS 100 after it caused all my RDs to false continuously on X band (yes I DO leave X band on with all my RDs). I doubt there will ever be a fix for that problem. However, I may pick up an SDS200 for use at home. It really has phenomenal reception on 800 MHz.

The main limitation of the G5 is that you can only monitor one system at a time, which limits its usefulness for traveling. There is nothing like it for digital P25 simulcast reception though.

GTO_04

mikeoxlong

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks Deacon. I have been messing with this scanner for a year.
I have checked and tripled checked all your suggestions and I appreciate you reminding me of those.
I will try the zip code programming and see what I hear. Thanks again.
What system are you trying to listen to?

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
MARRS Clay county Missouri
I do have a favorite setup with that system.

Last edited:

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
MARRS Clay county Missouri
I do have a favorite setup with that system.
Don’t worry about it. I went and spent the time for you to look it up and provide the link to an unfamiliar system in a different state in a county I don’t know where it even is, since no matter how many people asked you for it you couldn’t be bothered: Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS) Trunking System, Kansas City Metro Area, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Looks like a fairly standard P25 Phase I system. Not even simulcast. In theory it shouldn’t be difficult to pick up or anything. Did you create custom circle radii for each site, or other such customizations for your favorite lists?

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry Deacon I didn't see post #8. All I did was create a favorites list in Sentinel and all Clay county and it pulled in all the control channels. No customization on my part. I am only monitoring that one system and nothing else.
I did eliminate some other sites and am hearing more. I may have been trying to scan too much...??
I haven't had a lot of time to play with it lately. But may have some time today as it is raining.
Your help and suggestions are appreciated Thank you.

rvacs

Scanning da Road
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have the Unication G5 and the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. I have them because my area uses Phase 1 simulcast and older scanners like 436/536 just don't get a good signal and miss a lot of communications.

I would not give up my Unication G5 - its a workhorse...but it does not "Scan" like a scanner...yes it scans but if you hear something good you can't hit a "HOLD" button like you can on a scanner (like the SDS100/SDS200). But easy work around is have a Knob set for that channel....Ex: Say you scan all 4 dispatch channels...you hear something good on Dispatch 1....move knob to a selection that is just Dispatch 1 and you hear just that.

Now the SDS100/200 are great too and act more like a scanner...work great with Simulcast.

But if I put the SDS100 next to the Unication G5 - the G5 is more clear and accurate...but the SDS100 is much much better than say an older 436. But again do this if your having reception issues on P25 systems...especially if simulcast is in use.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
All I did was create a favorites list in Sentinel and all Clay county and it pulled in all the control channels. No customization on my part.
You shouldn’t even have to do that, messing with control channels and such. Just bring in the system to your favorites list, maybe delete the talk groups you you don’t need. You should never have to touch frequencies or control channels, etc.

Or set your service types. switch to nationwide (disable all favorites), use GPS or set your zip code, and see what happens.

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have the Unication G5 and the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. I have them because my area uses Phase 1 simulcast and older scanners like 436/536 just don't get a good signal and miss a lot of communications.

I would not give up my Unication G5 - its a workhorse...but it does not "Scan" like a scanner...yes it scans but if you hear something good you can't hit a "HOLD" button like you can on a scanner (like the SDS100/SDS200). But easy work around is have a Knob set for that channel....Ex: Say you scan all 4 dispatch channels...you hear something good on Dispatch 1....move knob to a selection that is just Dispatch 1 and you hear just that.

Now the SDS100/200 are great too and act more like a scanner...work great with Simulcast.

But if I put the SDS100 next to the Unication G5 - the G5 is more clear and accurate...but the SDS100 is much much better than say an older 436. But again do this if your having reception issues on P25 systems...especially if simulcast is in use.
You nailed it! Scanner hobbyists latched onto the G5 because it fulfilled a need for good simulcast decoding/reception for simulcast systems that no other manufacturer could address. Technically the G5 is a digital pager and not a scanner hence the limitation of one system at a time. Not sure if Unication will ever change this.

GTO_04

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choymw