Safe SUV recommendation

tempnexus

Breaking The Social Norm One Post at a time
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Since I will have a kid (hopefully) I am looking on selling my 09 Corolla and upgrading to a safer car since its no longer my life that's on the line.

My wife has Volvo xc60 so I am thinking on getting a second one but I am open to options.
1) safety is the #1 thing I am looking for
2) new or gently pre-owned that still qualifies for extended warranty
3) less than $40k

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My vote goes to another volvo or a Ford exploder where the latter is if you also want to have some fun.

I am personally a fan of mazdas and the mazda suvs are very safe and very fun to drive with plenty of creature comforts. They don't seem to be too popular though.

So volvo fur safety, then mazda for a mix between great safety and lots of fun. Finally Ford fur decent safety and still plenty fun

thebravo

Security
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Subaru's are also supposed to be pretty good for safety features like Eyesight, so consider the forester if you don't need a full size SUV... honestly many of the toyota and hondas are pretty good too. My wife has an 08 CRV and it's still going strong at 175K, the newer years have more safety features, plus you can BSM all the other RD users around you and piss them off.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Subaru's are also supposed to be pretty good for safety features like Eyesight, so consider the forester if you don't need a full size SUV... honestly many of the toyota and hondas are pretty good too. My wife has an 08 CRV and it's still going strong at 175K, the newer years have more safety features, plus you can BSM all the other RD users around you and piss them off.
Yeah that's why I like Volvo. It has the safety features without the BSM BS jamming myself and upping my signal floor.

Which are longer lasting?
Post automatically merged:
@erickonphoenix you have any suggestions ?
@erickonphoenix is being screwed to death by his Amber sucabus

Bocephus

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow never thought I would read that from you...
Well I've driven a fair number of SUVs. The mazdas are a blast but not too popular for some reason. The grand cherokee is nothing special if you don't go for the trackhawk. The Ford has a fair amount of safety features including rear seat belt airbags. It is also super fun driving the sport model. ****er gets up and goes.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In all seriousness, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Volvo have the highest safety ratings. It all comes down to budget.
Get a Ford and it is likely to spend more time with the technician, than in your own garage :D

dchemist

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm with @SquirrelMaster , I'd definitely look at Mazdas. I've had the opportunity to drive both a CX-5 and CX-9 and thoroughly enjoyed them.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In all seriousness, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Volvo have the highest safety ratings. It all comes down to budget.
Get a Ford and it is likely to spend more time with the technician, than in your own garage :D

Yeah, I enjoy my Outlander PHEV's cargo space. And the EV range is very good for the SUVs with partially electric drivetrain @ 22 miles, it's one of the best out there. It uses the GKN Multimode eTransmission, which is really not a transmission at all. The engine connects to a generator (I guess it's technically a motor too, but only in the sense of starting the engine), and the generator generates electricity. The electricity can be put into the battery, or can power one of the two drive motors, one in the front, and one in the rear. There is a "4WD Lock" button which is basically an electronic differential lock; the computer forces both motors to turn at the same speed. There is also a single clutch that can connect the engine directly to the front wheels at a fixed ratio (i.e. there is no mechanical gearbox to vary engine speed vs. wheel speed) and always engages above 78 mph. Downsides, I can only access about half of the power without the ICE coming on (it's a series-parallel architecture and NEEDS the ICE making power to get maximum acceleration), and the handling kinda sucks. Oh, and the fixed ratio clutch is optimized for max power at around 90-95 mph, so if you are just cruising along at that speed, it becomes a gas guzzler (I measured around 23 mpg @ 90 mph).

Contrast this with the Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid, which has the same downsides of the series-parallel architecture (ICE required for max acceleration) and a big downside of not qualifying for the California HOV clean air decals, BUT has a completely different drivetrain and better handling. It has an engine that connects to a motor/generator, which is then connected to a full mechanical transmission and then a transfer case between it and the wheels. So, it will not overrev the engine when cruising along at 95 mph. On the other hand, while the handling is better, the mileage sucks, and is lower overall than in the Outlander PHEV, since it has a much less efficient 333 PS engine. And when you're in EV mode, pushing all of that power from the motor through a full mechanical transmission and a transfer case has a severe penalty, due to much heavier gearbox/drivetrain losses: a 12-14 mile EV range (on a 10.8 kWh battery) vs. 22 miles EV range (on a 12 kWh battery) for the Outlander PHEV, as of the 2016 model. For the 2019 model, they upped the battery capacity to around 14 kWh and claim 27 miles EV range but it looks like in the real world, it's getting around 20 miles.

Oh, one thing you should consider before buying an SUV: you cannot keep anything in the trunk that's valuable (unless you want to risk getting it stolen). I don't use those stupid cargo covers. They just make it obvious that you're hiding something and sometimes, people will break into the vehicle anyway to see if there's anything underneath (since it doesn't cost them anything to break a window). As a result, I end up carrying a lot of sh** in my backpack that I would have put in the trunk if I had my old Corolla, and whenever I have had to go to work and then go straight from work to the airport, I drive a different car with a real trunk.

Last edited:

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Seems like a decommissioned Humvee would fit your criteria (Maybe not the extended warranty). Starting bid at $9,000.
View attachment 128862
those things are death traps...no safety systems, they are meant to absorb damage and transfer it to the personnel. :) Like honestly, they have no safety system beyond ABS and traction control, since they are meant to suffer being thrown about without activating any airbags or automatic breaking....one doesn't want automatic breaking system if you are trying to ram a road block.

acrspeed

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
All the above posts have mentioned the best choices. Subaru is what comes to mind when I think safety, with their Eyesight system. The new Forester just came out, and it seems to be a pretty good choice. The new interior is a huge improvement over the old one. It's super comfortable. The new Mazda may be good, but I have only driven the non-turbo model and I found it painfully slow.

The Ford Flex I had as a rental seriously impressed me, but it is getting quite old. It may not be as safe as the latest and greatest. The RAV 4 is there if you want to stick with a Toyota. Honda supposedly fixed the oil dilution issues for the 1.5L CR-V.

Honestly, that whole segment is so competitive that you can't go wrong. You'd have to try to find a bad product.

holeinthehead

Surprise
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Since I will have a kid (hopefully) I am looking on selling my 09 Corolla and upgrading to a safer car since its no longer my life that's on the line.

My wife has Volvo xc60 so I am thinking on getting a second one but I am open to options.
3) less than $40k
Toyota Highlander XLE.

tempnexus

Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
All the above posts have mentioned the best choices. Subaru is what comes to mind when I think safety, with their Eyesight system. The new Forester just came out, and it seems to be a pretty good choice. The new interior is a huge improvement over the old one. It's super comfortable. The new Mazda may be good, but I have only driven the non-turbo model and I found it painfully slow.

The Ford Flex I had as a rental seriously impressed me, but it is getting quite old. It may not be as safe as the latest and greatest. The RAV 4 is there if you want to stick with a Toyota. Honda supposedly fixed the oil dilution issues for the 1.5L CR-V.

Honestly, that whole segment is so competitive that you can't go wrong. You'd have to try to find a bad product.
Yeah I might have to rent a few and try them out...the problem is that most rentals are basic models so I will only be testing the inside and the engine none of the extra spiffy things.

steve

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Consider an Audi simply for the grill and installing some ALPs.

Also, I’d recommend a 7 seater full size suv. Throw the stroller in the rear and that thing in almost full. With that all being said my vote is 2017 CPO Audi Q7.

System

PSL ÷ 2
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Edit: didn't see the price point. Q7 or a Toyota 4Runner would be my votes

ThreePedals6.2

Motor Head
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

3) less than $40k

If you want safety you might as well stick with Volvo.
I'm personally a fan of Acura RDX/MDX for reliability and safety but honestly nowadays....you cant go wrong. Drive em and see what works for you guys.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Seems like a decommissioned Humvee would fit your criteria (Maybe not the extended warranty). Starting bid at $9,000.
View attachment 128862

I raise you the Knight...this has been on my lottery wish list purchase for a long time....
size_comp_web.jpg

It might trip your limit given the est 800k price tag, but can you really put a number on safety??

That said Volvo does have some of the safest ones on the market, I am actually just starting to look myself for a replacement for my wife and have my focus on those as well.

user

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
A lot of good suggestions. Volvo of course has a great reputation but since they sold to Geely and work with Renault, I don’t think it would be my choice. We have a Forester and it is a good all around car. Has as good of outside visibility as any car, decent mileage, good reliability and handles very well plus I like the all wheel drive. The Toyota RAV4 is probably the best of the bunch but a little small. The Highlander is very good too. I would stay away from Honda until they get their oil dilution problem worked out.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy