R7 Arrows the best?

Windstrings

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just wanted to put a plug in for Uniden arrows on the R7!
I've been frustrated in the past where the long latency times other vendors place on arrows in hopes to not confuse newbies as the signals are bouncing around when extremely close to the source, but I find this the Pinnacle of situational awareness.

The main problem with other thought and recent practice is with the long latency is there is time that passes under the bridge after you pass a source as the arrows try and figure out if you're really past or whether it is just a reflection.

I love the instantaneous fast response of real-time awareness as to where the signal is coming from, some may choose the other side of the argument and say who cares where the signal is coming from if it's a false Mirage?

My argument is I would rather figure that out with my brain and know that I can trust the arrows are giving me a accurate readout of signal in my area.

I request Uniden never entertains the idea of changing.. They are perfect!

Last edited:

HyperM3

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The problem I have with the arrows, is the rear horn is so much stronger than the front, that Ill consistently get a rear detection first if theres a car behind me bouncing it towards the detector, than the front horn detecting it first.

I know for a fact its not an actual rear threat because its a speed sign I pass near me all the time. If nobody is behind me, Ill get a front arrow alert. If there is a car behind me, Ill get a rear arrow alert.

gmm6797

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dont forget, radar bounces around all over and off tons of hard surfaces, so the arrows may be picking up bounce

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Want better arrow accuracy.... then the off axis detection needs to be turned down... Which really is reducing over all sensitivity.. Me, I'll keep what I have.

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I know for a fact its not an actual rear threat because its a speed sign I pass near me all the time. If nobody is behind me, Ill get a front arrow alert. If there is a car behind me, Ill get a rear arrow alert.
How about if there is no car in front of you even with no vehicle behind you? Will you still get a rear alert? I don't think so. If you did, I would believe that the rear horn is more sensitive than the front horn. If not, it is working normally to a certain degree until at some point where it starts to transition. Real world scenarios can be confusing to a newbie who does not know how radar works.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just wanted to put a plug in for Uniden arrows on the R7!
I've been frustrated in the past where the long latency times other vendors place on arrows in hopes to not confuse newbies as the signals are bouncing around when extremely close to the source, but I find this the Pinnacle of situational awareness.

The main problem with other thought and recent practice is with the long latency is there is time that passes under the bridge after you pass a source as the arrows try and figure out if you're really past or whether it is just a reflection.

I love the instantaneous fast response of real-time awareness as to where the signal is coming from, some may choose the other side of the argument and say who cares where the signal is coming from if it's a false Mirage?

My argument is I would rather figure that out with my brain and know that I can trust the arrows are giving me a accurate readout of signal in my area.

I request Uniden never entertains the idea of changing.. They are perfect!

I"m not sure I'd call them the best, but I agree with you about using your brains to figure out what is happening when the arrows bounce. Not sure you can have a detector with horns this sensitive and not get some of that. So it's a tradeoff. I still think I'd like a smidge more bias towards the front, but that's just me.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The problem I have with the arrows, is the rear horn is so much stronger than the front, that Ill consistently get a rear detection first if theres a car behind me bouncing it towards the detector, than the front horn detecting it first.

How often does this happen with the R7

When I ran my V1 for 10+ years. I don’t recall this ever happening. (It May have but I don’t recall) and if it did. It didn’t do it often

alloy00

vMax
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

When I ran my V1 for 10+ years. I don’t recall this ever happening. (It May have but I don’t recall) and if it did. It didn’t do it often

I don't think this happens all that much honestly. I do think the arrows tend to bounce around a bit more on the R7 than the V1, when in heavy traffic, or when around many buildings and signal could bounce around. In the open they basically perform the same. You'll always know where the source is, just but the R7 arrows are not always as "calm" in tough environments :)

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't think this happens all that much honestly. I do think the arrows tend to bounce around a bit more on the R7 than the V1, when in heavy traffic, or when around many buildings and signal could bounce around. In the open they basically perform the same. You'll always know where the source is, just but the R7 arrows are not always as "calm" in tough environments :)

I think it’s reasonable to expect that. This is uniden first attempt with arrows so it’s going to take time for them to refine (if they do)

I should say the V1 should always have the best arrow performance period. He almost decades of refinements with the only detector mike makes and also his pinnacle selling point

HyperM3

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

For me, typically only when theres a car behind me and its K band shooting at me. I had a V1 for 20 years and never had a problem with the arrows on it.

wayne77

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think the arrows work really well. Some occasions I see it "bounce" around but not often and I can tell what's going on when that is happening. Usually stopped in traffic for example. I've been really happy with the accuracy overall. Pretty satisfying to be driving in opposite direction of a LEO and they pass me all while the R7 perfectly shows when they are next to me and behind. I haven't used a V1 though.

Windstrings

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Although valentine denies it, the last update added latency to my arrows made it so they bounce less but the tradeoff is they are more sluggish.

I do enjoy instant responsiveness.

Remember arrows mean you have two detectors in one box!

One pointing forward, one backwards and both of the logics communicating with each other... It's quite a bargain if you think about it....

Uniden could add rear muting, at least for K band, or at least sensitivity adjustments for rear.
I would rather just mute.

I haven't had it be an issue except for the stray bs signals.
Going to city mode helps that though.

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Although valentine denies it, the last update added latency to my arrows so that they bounce less but the tradeoff is the are more sluggish.

I do enjoy instant responsiveness.

Remember arrows mean you have two detectors in one box!

One pointing forward, one backwards and both of the logics communicating with each other... It's quite a bargain if you think about it....

Uniden could add rear muting, at least for K band, or at least sensitivity adjustments for rear.
I would rather just mute.

I haven't had it be an issue except for the stray bs signals.
Going to city mode helps that though.
Very true. One trade off is sensitivity and range too. Used to get good Ka range with the older models.

rut

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I 100% agree being able to adjust the sensitivity on the rear horn. That's all I think the r7 lacks.

Redmed

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I notice there is no mention of the arrows on the Max360's. Is the Max360 not as responsive as the R7 & V1?
I'm planning to own a arrow equipped unit in the future and am waiting for a Radenso with arrows or a V1 with auto marking. But if the wait is too much longer (2020+) I was trying to decide between the Max360 & R7.

ALEXTWIN

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I notice there is no mention of the arrows on the Max360's. Is the Max360 not as responsive as the R7 & V1?
I'm planning to own a arrow equipped unit in the future and am waiting for a Radenso with arrows or a V1 with auto marking. But if the wait is too much longer (2020+) I was trying to decide between the Max360 & R7.
I had a Max 360 and made the mistake of using the sticky cup.
It held the detector to the windshield well but In daylight you can’t see the OLED display without having something to block the sunlight like a window visor
I’m hoping with the R7 hardwired and mounted to the visor I’ll be able to see the larger OLED . I mean who wants to watch the road when you can play with your phone , text play with the detector that’s where the fun’s at

knight_man

I wanna go fast
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So the R7 arrows seem OK. They are definitely not as quick or accurate as the V1, but they did seem more responsive after the 124 update. More responsive than the other brand I won’t name so I don’t get sued. On version as shipped, I was ready to give up on Uniden (although now I totally am for other reasons, anyway).

When it comes to SA, the accurate frequencies, signal strength, ramp up, arrows, counters, and all that jazz help but ultimately your radar detector is just reporting info and cannot make a decision for you. SA just helps you weigh your options. Better information allows you to make a better informed decision. Yep still need a brain.

westwind77

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

The 360 lags a bit in response time (switching when passing the source) compared to the V1 and R7, however they are accurate and I do not get 'bounce' with them. Typically you will see the LEO as you get close so you do not need the arrows to tell you when you pass, your eyes can do that for you. At night the arrows play more importance as playing 'find the LEO' becomes that much harder though.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday when I picked up a CHP Ka front alert that my R7 arrows changed to sideways when I passed the cruiser and didn't switch to rear for maybe 100+ yard past the cruiser, staying as sideways arrows. This was on my motorcycle and though I have it mounted as far to the right as possible, I don't think the rear antenna is completely clear of my right shoulder/arm. Wonder if that can cause the arrows to delay pointing rearward quickly?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado