Ka in a construction zone East bound I-84

DocH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Had kind of an interesting detection E-bound on I-84 about 2 miles east of exit 34 (Lords Valley, PA). a bit over a mile before I came into a construction zone there. Another strange thing...Google maps was showing the work zone 20 mins ago, now it is gone from Google maps.
What was kind of different was that it showed as Ka 34.66-34.79 (IIRC) and I never did see a LEO, a speed sign, or anything that I could ID as being the source of radar. Did My best to glance at the odo as soon as I heard the alert...about a mile before I hit the work zone. It was raining pretty good, so I was pretty much at PSL. Just strange seeing Ka with the freq bouncing around there at the work zone. I probably missed seeing the source as between the rain and the traffic, I Was kind of occupied.

Working on getting a dash cam so I can get input from Folks as to situations encountered!
Am open to suggestions as to if it is possible to get a cam that would be "functional" yet in the $30 range...may be impossible, IDK..

This DFR7 is very quiet at BSM etc, and yet seems to be a real hound dog at Ka!
Even off-axis it just scarfs up the Ka!!!
I watched many a Honda, Chrysler , GM etc and so far, it just ignores 'em!
Maybe a little bit more chatty with K filter off, but so far perfectly acceptable!
Really am curious as to what the Ka spewage was at the start of the construction zone 'tho... Had a decent ramp-up, altho different than the V995 I've spent many a mile with back in the day!
It was just weird to get Ka there!!
Doc

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Am open to suggestions as to if it is possible to get a cam that would be "functional" yet in the $30 range...may be impossible, IDK..
A few of us have used the older but reliable G1W. I think they can be found in the $40 to $50 price range.

You also may want to consider making a wanted post in the member classifieds section. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a used dashcam they'd be willing to sell at a discounted price.

I never did see a LEO, a speed sign, or anything that I could ID as being the source of radar.
Today I passed a roadside service truck that was emitting Ka Radar. These are state owned vehicles sent out to help motorists at the side of the road with flat tires, broken down vehicles, and help cleanup the roadway from car wreck debris and other road hazards. The trucks serve multiple purposes. They will park them behind and offset to the vehicle they're out to assist, specifically to protect the people at the side of the road from being hit while they help change their tire. The rears of the vehicles use the high-impact energy absorbing bumpers, and are equipped with large yellow arrow lights that can be folded up or down to warn passing motorists to move over a lane as needed.

I believe they use Ka to warn the truck operator of an imminent impact. The one I passed today was a variant of one of these vehicles, specifically a lighter duty one towing a trailer, sent out to retrieve large road hazards that have been sitting at the side of the road. They'll do this every 2 weeks or so on a regular basis.

Last edited:

ultravorx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is right by my house. It's a speed sign for the construction zone.
I use it to test the range of my R7s. They are on both east and west bound.

DocH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
This is right by my house. It's a speed sign for the construction zone.
I use it to test the range of my R7s. They are on both east and west bound.
Kind of sad that They don't implement the SWS receiver built into many RD's...
In fact, has anybody actually seen a SWS message show up on Their RD before the actual item or zone or hazard shows up on the road ahead?
Doc
PS: My Abode is about 2 miles South of Milford!! Really do like the area!!

DocH

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
A few of us have used the older but reliable G1W. I think they can be found in the $40 to $50 price range.

You also may want to consider making a wanted post in the member classifieds section. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has a used dashcam they'd be willing to sell at a discounted price.

Today I passed a roadside service truck that was emitting Ka Radar. These are state owned vehicles sent out to help motorists at the side of the road with flat tires, broken down vehicles, and help cleanup the roadway from car wreck debris and other road hazards. The trucks serve multiple purposes. They will park them behind and offset to the vehicle they're out to assist, specifically to protect the people at the side of the road from being hit while they help change their tire. The rears of the vehicles use the high-impact energy absorbing bumpers, and are equipped with large yellow arrow lights that can be folded up or down to warn passing motorists to move over a lane as needed.

I believe they use Ka to warn the truck operator of an imminent impact. The one I passed today was a variant of one of these vehicles, specifically a lighter duty one towing a trailer, sent out to retrieve large road hazards that have been sitting at the side of the road. They'll do this every 2 weeks or so on a regular basis.
Thanks much for the info on dash-cams!

Doc

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgazette