InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like they're from a company called RedSpeed:
Camera company RedSpeed USA, based in Illinois, installs and operates the cameras for free. They monitor speed and read license plates of cars going through the school zones. RedSpeed also helps local police departments issue the tickets and shares the revenue with them.
Nice of them to share the revenue...

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
These are the only Speed Cameras that are legal in Georgia and they can only be used in School Zones. I believe there are no points associated with these tickets, just the fine. But one shouldn't be speeding in a School Zone while children at present anyways.

Edward4

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
These are the only Speed Cameras that are legal in Georgia and they can only be used in School Zones. I believe there are no points associated with these tickets, just the fine. But one shouldn't be speeding in a School Zone while children at present anyways.
Yep, the bill passed May of 2018.
Post automatically merged:
I assume they use laser?
It's radar based but idk what technology. Hopefully I can find a manual somewhere.

Last edited:

thetrader

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just realized they are starting to deploy all over the state. Does anybody know what kind of detection they use? I cannot find anything on the company-pretty stealth. Thanks!

Phantom Z3

Advanced User
Reaction score
Anyone know a school using them right now?? I pass by the affected areas frequently and since it's radar based, I'll see if I can get a hold of it's frequency/band

nicholat

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone know a school using them right now?? I pass by the affected areas frequently and since it's radar based, I'll see if I can get a hold of it's frequency/band
It in the article
Duluth Middle School, Coleman Middle School, Mason Elementary School, Chattahoochee Elementary School, Trickum Middle School and Arcado Elementary School are all expected to have new cameras up and running by early in the new school year.
@Phantom Z3

LoveRenee

Radar/Lidar Addiction MD
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
It in the article
Duluth Middle School, Coleman Middle School, Mason Elementary School, Chattahoochee Elementary School, Trickum Middle School and Arcado Elementary School are all expected to have new cameras up and running by early in the new school year.
@Phantom Z3
Good to see you’re here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoveRenee

Radar/Lidar Addiction MD
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
There might be some coming to areas in the smaller towns on the south side of Atlanta. School zones only. I’ll post here when I know more.

Phantom Z3

Advanced User
Reaction score
There might be some coming to areas in the smaller towns on the south side of Atlanta. School zones only. I’ll post here when I know more.

I actually spoke to a safety advisor for a county (undisclosed here) and they mentioned they're going to be installing cameras outside of school zones once it's tried and tested and the next bill passes. Idk if he was trying to scare the kids in the class or if he was being more serious.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
is there any updated news on this?

IANAL. Yes, they have installed speed cameras at certain schools. It is a no points ticket. Don’t know how they would make anybody that knows better to pay it as they can’t suspend your DL because speed cameras are not legal for traffic enforcement in Georgia currently.

Phantom Z3

Advanced User
Reaction score
is there any updated news on this?
There is a pair of boxes on Haynes Bridge Rd. I think it's a middle school. It looks like the Poliscan boxes you find on the side of the road. Kind of hard to miss. It's right after the school zone signs.
Post automatically merged:

IANAL. Yes, they have installed speed cameras at certain schools. It is a no points ticket. Don’t know how they would make anybody that knows better to pay it as they can’t suspend your DL because speed cameras are not legal for traffic enforcement in Georgia currently.
It becomes a charge on the vehicle during registration from what I heard. That's what they supposedly do with RLCs. Honestly, idk much for the school zone and RLC enforcement (unless it's particularly anal and gets you for doing 1 over or passing the stop bar by 0.1s). But it kindof opens the door for speed cameras on the normal road.

But fighting it shouldn't be too hard if you follow the famous Florida case on RLCs and using their justification.

Last edited:

gshadow325

Learning to Drive
General User
Premium Member
Reaction score
what florida case? can you link it?

i wanted to roll by one of these speed cameras and see what it does.
:)

mmh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It becomes a charge on the vehicle during registration from what I heard. That's what they supposedly do with RLCs. Honestly, idk much for the school zone and RLC enforcement (unless it's particularly anal and gets you for doing 1 over or passing the stop bar by 0.1s). But it kindof opens the door for speed cameras on the normal road.

But fighting it shouldn't be too hard if you follow the famous Florida case on RLCs and using their justification.
I'm waiting to see what the legal challenges and judiciary reaction to this new law looks like. I'm being overly careful around school zones -- even when not "active" -- that have these cameras until this law/enforcement method is inevitably challenged in state court, I do not trust these things.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what the legal challenges and judiciary reaction to this new law looks like. I'm being overly careful around school zones -- even when not "active" -- that have these cameras until this law/enforcement method is inevitably challenged in state court, I do not trust these things.

First, I still haven't seen a remotely justifiable reason for speeding in a School Zone (of course if it is Summer Break or other school closing or 2AM in the morning that is different). Next, to my knowledge, these Speed Cameras are only being used in two north metro Atlanta Counties.

It is currently against the Law in Georgia to use Speed Cameras for Drivers License/Moving Violations because the Legislature consulted the Judiciary which ruled that it would violate Driver's right to face their accuser and be able to question them. This is the reason it is not a DL but more specifically not a Moving Violation.

People try to say that a parking violation is the same as the Speed Cameras, but they are not. Yes a device is the trigger for the ticket, but an Officer witness's the device violation and writes the ticket so the accuser IE ticket writer can be questioned in court if one is silly enough to go to court to fight a non-point non-moving parking ticket. One jurisdiction wanted to use this example to make a change that the tickets would not be auto issued but an Officer would watch the video and then issue a violation off of that. The judiciary said that was not the same as an Officer actually physically seeing an expired parking meter by actually being there for the Speed Camera the Officer is watching video not witnessing an actual violation in real time.

Thank the Stars that small towns and Counties abused their revenue generating tactics in the 50s and 60s and the State Legislator moved in to protect the public from over zealous traffic enforcement with specific State wide laws governing Moving Violations which is why Georgia does not have Speed Camera enforcement.

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I did some digging and it looks like RedSpeed USA is very tight lipped and have challenged many FOIA requests to keep their tech secret. I searched (“redspeed” white paper) and also (“t-redspeed” white paper). It looks like within the US there isn’t much info besides court cases. Their parent company is in England where there is some additional info available about their European models. It looks like that have tech that is fully 3D photo based, measuring time over a known distance like Vascar. I’d imagine their USA models use similar systems.

mmh

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
First, I still haven't seen a remotely justifiable reason for speeding in a School Zone (of course if it is Summer Break or other school closing or 2AM in the morning that is different). Next, to my knowledge, these Speed Cameras are only being used in two north metro Atlanta Counties.
Many local level departments in this state are beyond sleazy. Schools zone sign flashing that it was "active" at 2-3:00am (clearly programmed wrong), I've seen that. What stops the machine from issuing a ticket in this case? The school zone was "active" per the sign. There were obviously no kids around.

Here is the actual list of where they are (as of a few months ago at least). I have encountered the ones in Toombs and Wheeler Counties. They are definitely radar based. And from what I can tell, they are always on (in terms of the radar), even when school zones are not actually "active"

Georgia school zones approved for speed cameras as of Oct. 18:

Seaborn Lee Elementary, Fulton County

Union Grove High, Henry County

Coleman Middle, Gwinnett County

Vidalia Comprehensive High, Toombs County

Wheeler County High, Wheeler County

J.R. Trippe Middle, Toombs County

Stockbridge High, Henry County

Ola High, Henry County

Luella Elementary, Henry County

Hampton Middle, Henry County

Bloomingdale Elementary, Chatham County