but it goes to 11
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Setup:
System: Adaptiv TPX (2019) 2 head front, 1 head rear
Front heads handlebar mounted on brake and clutch reservoirs, rear head mounted above the license plate
Front heads are 45" from the ground and 19.5" apart
The rear head is 23" from the ground

Motorcycle: 2018 Ducati XDiavel (Not the Diavel)
Course: ~950-foot curved road with hills (650' shootable)
Gun: PL3 on a monopod
Note: Front heads were aligned, but the rear head was only leveled. All three heads fire regardless of which head receives the signal.

Results:
  • The front Adaptiv TPX system consistently JTG the PL3 with the motorcycle leaned in slow and fast corners.
  • The rear Adaptiv TPX system consistently JTG the PL3 with the motorcycle leaned in slow corners.
  • The rear also jammed the PL3 in fast corners with an occasional PT at the apex (max lean and nearly ~75 degrees from the shooter).
  • The rear was 100% JFG when the shooter was on the left with fast and slow corners.
  • The motorcycle was difficult to track in a corner and radar would be a more appropriate tool.
  • The TPX system did surprisingly well when the motorcycle was curving away from the shooter, even when riding slowly.
  • The light poles contributed to some difficulty in tracking the motorcycle even with the jammers off (need a better course).
  • I could have ridden much faster and leaned quite a bit more, but the short course made it difficult for the shooter.
Course:

Video:
PW: TPXcorners

-Studio1930

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great results! That’s for testing some more motorcycle-specific scenarios.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I can see why laser LEO trap would want a straight shot at a motorbike. Try targeting a fast moving small target around a curve, following in the scope sights, not easy pickings.
Plus the inaccurate readings due to the angle off square to the shooter, always will show lower than actual.
Not a Leo's first choice I'm sure.
Nice testing, lean angles not apparently affecting your CMs.

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes, these tests were a good start to understanding the system capabilities. This was just one set of tests and other corners, shooter, and guns need to be tested. I plan on doing some more testing with two different guns and different courses to see if I can find any additional information about the overall setup (once it's not 109 degrees out). :)

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I think about it, LiDAR shouldn't be affected by being at an angle right?
Holding a LiDAR gun at 90 degrees like a gangster would tell you results of that.
Not like radar and that horizintal/vertical mumbo jumbo affecting ranges.
We are talking wavelengths of light that are a universal standard regardless of the orientation.
Thoughts?

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the test @studio1930. Your really putting through it’s paces.

Think you’ll get a 2nd set up for your wife’s Spyder?

Yes. Her Spyder is way easier to hit with laser and is fast off the line, so she tends to be doing +15 all of the time. It also has hooligan (sport) mode that allows you to leave a stoplight diagonally for about 100 feet while smoking the rear tire, but I guess parking sensors don't really help with that, LOL. I see that Adaptiv officially added them to their web page.

-Studio
Post automatically merged:
When I think about it, LiDAR shouldn't be affected by being at an angle right?
Holding a LiDAR gun at 90 degrees like a gangster would tell you results of that.
Not like radar and that horizintal/vertical mumbo jumbo affecting ranges.
We are talking wavelengths of light that are a universal standard regardless of the orientation.
Thoughts?

Not completely true. You must consider the lens that focuses the light. The lens in the parking sensors (or simply the diode itself) may contribute to shaping the output which, in turn, could affect its ability to hit a target when tilted. The same is true for lidar guns which is why some react differently in different situations (I'll leave it at that).

One parking sensor may do well when tilted while another may not depending on the design.

-Studio1930

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yes. Her Spyder is way easier to hit with laser and is fast off the line, so she tends to be doing +15 all of the time. It also has hooligan (sport) mode that allows you to leave a stoplight diagonally for about 100 feet while smoking the rear tire, but I guess parking sensors don't really help with that, LOL. I see that Adaptiv officially added them to their web page.

-Studio
Post automatically merged:

Not completely true. You must consider the lens that focuses the light. The lens in the parking sensors (or simply the diode itself) may contribute to shaping the output which, in turn, could affect its ability to hit a target when tilted. The same is true for lidar guns which is why some react differently in different situations (I'll leave it at that).

One parking sensor may do well when tilted while another may not depending on the design.

-Studio1930
Ahhh, lense shapes could distort different device to device.
Lots of testing work to prove out which ones are best all round....

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deags