D.I.Y ALP Cables, connectors, fixes

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
After much prepping and finally testing with power on, I can confirm that MY Rx head wire colors DO match the wire colors of the Connection Cable (cable that plugs into CPU) that @Saussie shows above. THEY MAY NOT MATCH EXTENSION CABLE COLORS, as BRD warned above. My system is working on the bench for Parking mode and does go into Defense mode.
Grey = Gnd
Yel = signal
Grn = +12V
White= signal (to yellow?)
Blue = signal (to red/brown?)
Red/Brn = Gnd (same as Grey Gnd)
------------- do not blame me if your colors/signals don't match this, it's FYI on my system only ------
If you can elaborate on this in respect to the pin locations allocated to which colour, that would be good. Pic or diagram would enhance your post and make it a bit more understandable E.g we don't know what side of the connector you're looking at it from (top or bottom as it would be reversed).
Appreciate the input though!

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This isn't really anything to consider as a brag. More of a test, and no way a comparison to an original cable.
Diy high temp cable has had 2000km pushed through it.
Questions now that come to mind are how long will it actually last?
Will it need further maintenance?
I'd say possibly it might, but when..... I've no idea.
Running alongside an original though, no issues.

Last edited:

200V

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's my plan. I'm traveling a lot, so I've not had the time or access to update my original drawing.

200V

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
i THINK this is correct, but I'm not responsible if your system is different:. Photo is courtesy of @Saussie .
ALP CPU2 schematic of ports updated.jpg

Last edited:

mb300sd

PSL +200
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Love it. Ordered a pile of connectors from DigiKey, now I can get rid of the mess of bundled cables under my dash and hood.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
i THINK this is correct, but I'm not responsible if your system is different:. Photo is courtesy of @Saussie .
View attachment 135352
MISSING grey in the middle there, but I'm only saying this for those who loose count often.
Good diagram you're getting together there.
Don't ask me to sketch anything. I can't draw a straight line to save my life. I admire artists. Especially pencil portrait types. I got no idea how they make a photo finish on paper with pencil. Insane skills.
Post automatically merged:

Love it. Ordered a pile of connectors from DigiKey, now I can get rid of the mess of bundled cables under my dash and hood.
Yeah, this thread helps trimming the cable. I still think you can't beat a factory finished one. But diy is doable. I'm just not 100% about the shielding on this. Maybe an expert can chip in. I'm unsure of its importance. Unsure where or if it's earthed (I'd presume it's earthed on the chassis wire, but where in the cable I'm not sure). Few of the deeper technicalities could be researched a bit more. I foil taped my cable in an attempt to block interference but unsure if it matters. There's alot of electrical stuff going on in the engine bay, so I thought something is better than nothing. As I said earlier, my version works, but whether it will need maintaining along the way is something to consider as well as how long it lasts. It got the system tested and up and running. I can hunt down original cables as I go and eventually diy ones can be thrashed out or used as backups. Or used as summer cables as I made a high temp version. Least I'm part of the AL P gang now.

Last edited:

Abarth695

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys
Is the wiring any different for the original to head cable that went directly into the back of the controller
I need to make a female 6 pin from the extension cable to go into back of a new controller so only short cable within car but this is for the original heads and cable not the revised heads with the new smaller type locking system if that makes sense

Radario

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi guys
Is the wiring any different for the original to head cable that went directly into the back of the controller
I need to make a female 6 pin from the extension cable to go into back of a new controller so only short cable within car but this is for the original heads and cable not the revised heads with the new smaller type locking system if that makes sense
I'm about to make a similar (same?) cable due to a customer burning the original cable that has MALE Mini-DIN to an RJ12.

The difference in format is that the NEW design (twist and lock) sensor cable connections feature a 5 pin circumference format with a center pin (gray). This is the diagram provided on this forum.

The old design (Mini DIN) has 6 pins around most of the circumference with a rectangular plastic "key" at the bottom.

It can be (can it be?) assumed that Pin "1" is RED at the bottom right when looking at the pins. Pin "6" would be Grey.

The flat 6 core cable you use may have a different color sequence from left to right. You need to write down the colors left to right looking at the RJ12 with the lock pin underneath. Left to Right is "1" to "6". You then write down a Color Substitution Code..

Based on the flat telephone cable I am using (interior it's OK) the color substitution code is:

RED = Blue; Blue = Yellow; White = Green
Green = Red; Yellow = Black; Grey = White

Best to draw a DIN diagram with the ALP colors crossed out and the actual cable colors beneath.

Hope this helps.

Blasirl

Bring Order to Chaos
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm about to make a similar (same?) cable due to a customer burning the original cable that has MALE Mini-DIN to an RJ12.

The difference in format is that the NEW design (twist and lock) sensor cable connections feature a 5 pin circumference format with a center pin (gray). This is the diagram provided on this forum.

The old design (Mini DIN) has 6 pins around most of the circumference with a rectangular plastic "key" at the bottom.

It can be (can it be?) assumed that Pin "1" is RED at the bottom right when looking at the pins. Pin "6" would be Grey.

The flat 6 core cable you use may have a different color sequence from left to right. You need to write down the colors left to right looking at the RJ12 with the lock pin underneath. Left to Right is "1" to "6". You then write down a Color Substitution Code..

Based on the flat telephone cable I am using (interior it's OK) the color substitution code is:

RED = Blue; Blue = Yellow; White = Green
Green = Red; Yellow = Black; Grey = White

Best to draw a DIN diagram with the ALP colors crossed out and the actual cable colors beneath.

Hope this helps.
Would you fix the link please?

licwid

Advanced User
Reaction score
What type of RGB LED should be used? Mine came off in the install and is now lost. The cables were backordered when I checked, and it hurts a bit to pay $15 for it when I can get 100 LEDs for $5

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What type of RGB LED should be used? Mine came off in the install and is now lost. The cables were backordered when I checked, and it hurts a bit to pay $15 for it when I can get 100 LEDs for $5
Couldn't say. A few measurements need to be taken to check forward voltage ect. I'm not going to call it and say such n such just in case. Someone here will figure it out tho no doubt. I'm sure there's something out there, but unless tried and tested, I'm not calling it out (just in case) at this stage.

Last edited:

gsx1200

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Does anyone know the connection points for connector C?

Attachments

• 1596389549718.png
    1596389549718.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 41

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I can tell you some, and that may be all that are actually used, but I have nothing to support that, other than I've accounted for everything from a user control perspective.

Absolutely sure on the following as I determined them myself, and then used them for remote switches to replicate the control set. I recorded the pin numbers so my memory is not involved 🤣

Pin 3 = GND
Pin 5 = +5 VDC
Pin 6 = Menu Button (Using pins 3 & 6)
Pin 8 = PWR Button (Using pins 3 & 8)

If you use these for remote switches the control set still has to be connected as the ALP recognizes if it's not there and won't stay powered up. If your interested in this let me know and I'll show you the inexpensive part you require to make it happen - very easy to do.

My memory is that 12 VDC is there too, but I don't remember which pin, and could be entirely wrong. A multimeter can confirm that readily though.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

This is old but still viable enough.

Also port G for gps has power, ground, and RS232 data

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Has anyone come across an aftermarket tee connector compatible with the ALP sensor cables, like the one used to share one sensor cable with two sensors?

I've searched the web extensively without success.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

This is old but still viable enough.

Also port G for gps has power, ground, and RS232 data
Yo Squirrelmaster!
Can I have your permission (if it was you) to add your thread with the dissected controller into the controller section here in first post for all to have easy access?
Think it was you who shot pic of an open controller. Correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karamany