R7 separate Rear horn mute?

Windstrings

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's amusing to hear how people complain when a detector with arrows seems chattier!

They often overlook that arrows mean the unit must have a forward and rear detector.

This means you basically have two detectors in one box so twice the noise!

One of the powerful assets of the V1 is its ability to choose to disable audio on rear K band "where most of the falses come from" while maintaining visual Readout of same rear signal.

***Unless I've overlooked it I'm not seeing this feature in the R7?

Close to 100 percent of the time a rear signal k band is not a threat even if it is a real leo. An instant pulse from the rear will most likely trigger a forward audio alert anyway with a sensitive forward horn if it's close enough to be an instant threat.

Another note I find amusing....
For years everyone has screamed about how we need more more more sensitivity.
I have always preached this would be a curse if not managed properly, especially in the city where you honestly DON'T want to know where every leo is within miles radius!

Imagine elevated freeway city driving picking up hundreds of leos working the streets below! Not to mention all the office doors and parking garage K band signals!

Now we have a detector that's so sensitive we have to turn it down! [emoji28]

But managed properly sensitivity is powerful, otherwise it's like a noisy walky talky with no filter.

I hope uniden considers options to mute or at least have separate sensitivity settings for the rear horn vs the front.

If those options are already there, I apologize for the oversight in advance!

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
It's been asked for.

Windstrings

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's been asked for.
Great! I have confidence they'll get around to it then.
They have already accomplished so much and I understand the frustration of getting sidetracked on rabbit trail requests for features that start getting redicilous trying to turn a RD into a music player, shaver, biscuit maker, & water pick! [emoji57] "so to speak"

In the quest to make a detector for all people things can get so complicated as it morphs into a detector only a few can use and understand!
I discovered that when the YaV1 manual turned into 50+ pages by last edit! [emoji28]

Sidenote....
Thank God for @Vortex stepping up to the plate making all of his wonderful YouTube videos so all this makes sense to common folk... The guy is a genius and he talks so stinkin fast my brain can't keep up with his mouth! [emoji1787]
My hats off for the commitment & his passion to be such a lifeline to the RD community!

Back on topic...
Plus as the mountain of features build, adding one more simple feature can affect the whole and you end up with more problems affecting once stable features with little payback for the time & trouble invested.

It takes a devoted alpha & beta team.. That means green money if it's gonna last for long with excellence.

Said all that to say..
I dont see many takers like uniden stepping up to the plate to accomplish a full featured detector with arrows which means dealing with two horns & two circuits all in one box interacting without interference between the both.

It's a marvel if you think about it!

It's very easy with a sensitive detector for the front "or rear" horn to pick up scatter & bounce from a strong signal from the opposite direction.

Single direction detectors have it easy!

I've been out of the loop lately and when I discovered that I uniden has accomplished such strides in only a few years I was shocked!

The once great bear that fell asleep has arisin to feed while the other fat bear has taken its sleep that seemingly no one can awake! [emoji42]

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
Welcome back to the fold. Your great contributions have been missed.

barry

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Windstrings,
Nice to see you back man. I've been away from the forum for a while too, but recently returned to check out any updates to YaV1. I've moved over to JBV1 now, but that's not of any relevance to this thread. Anyway, good to hear from you.
barry

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ll take any feature I can get. But....

CHP likes to roll up from behind for the kill. Sometimes the lazy ones use C/O instead of I/O (always KA). The sensitivity of the R7 rear horn is great for this.

I would possibly use a rear mute for K but never KA. If I lived in an area that used active K and similar tactics, I don’t think I would use a rear mute at all.

Windstrings

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ll take any feature I can get. But....

CHP likes to roll up from behind for the kill. Sometimes the lazy ones use C/O instead of I/O (always KA). The sensitivity of the R7 rear horn is great for this.

I would possibly use a rear mute for K but never KA. If I lived in an area that used active K and similar tactics, I don’t think I would use a rear mute at all.
Agreed rear is necessary, but usually a "threat" is slow coming through traffic and usually never reaches before exiting unless it's the rear from behind overpass blast you theoretically can get....
A slow rear approach will usually be noticed by visual only before it's a real threat.

I consider having rear sound for K a daily nuisance for the once in 5 year blast I "may" get from behind, plus if I still have visual I'm good.

But having the option is best as some drive very distracted with lots of people in the car & /or very loud music which negates the sound anyway [emoji28]

But in daily driving most all of the real threats are forward signals, of which I don't want to continue hearing for the next 2 miles after I've past them.....

That's just me.. I'm already on high alert after a forward alert and visual only is good then for me... Still no tickets since I've been on the forum!

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's been asked for.

Yup, and I is one of the folks who asked for it. Another detector maker, one that rhymes with "Ballantine", gives you the ability to mute K band on the rear horn. That would be a welcome feature on the R7.

DrHow

Cloaked
Banned User
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
It's amusing to hear how people complain when a detector with arrows seems chattier!

They often overlook that arrows mean the unit must have a forward and rear detector.

This means you basically have two detectors in one box so twice the noise!

One of the powerful assets of the V1 is its ability to choose to disable audio on rear K band "where most of the falses come from" while maintaining visual Readout of same rear signal.

***Unless I've overlooked it I'm not seeing this feature in the R7?

Close to 100 percent of the time a rear signal k band is not a threat even if it is a real leo. An instant pulse from the rear will most likely trigger a forward audio alert anyway with a sensitive forward horn if it's close enough to be an instant threat.

Another note I find amusing....
For years everyone has screamed about how we need more more more sensitivity.
I have always preached this would be a curse if not managed properly, especially in the city where you honestly DON'T want to know where every leo is within miles radius!

Imagine elevated freeway city driving picking up hundreds of leos working the streets below! Not to mention all the office doors and parking garage K band signals!

Now we have a detector that's so sensitive we have to turn it down! [emoji28]

But managed properly sensitivity is powerful, otherwise it's like a noisy walky talky with no filter.

I hope uniden considers options to mute or at least have separate sensitivity settings for the rear horn vs the front.

If those options are already there, I apologize for the oversight in advance!
Great advice on one element to assist with V1 BSM.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danimajado