WTH... Honda looks to be the most American branded car.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have no brand loyalty. I'd drive a car built by the KKK if it was fast enough and cheap enough.

I'm with you there.. but what gets me is how so called American brands say how it's almost impossible to build a car in the US and make month, but somehow, so called foreign brands seem to be able to do it. Is union labor really that much more expensive, up north, compared to non-union labor in the south?

kwthom

n00b retiree
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Still not buying a GM.
I got discounts on them from my employer's relationship with GM. I bought three GM vehicles over a twenty year period; the last was in 2001.

My last from the blue oval people? 1984! Never again! :thumbsdown:
I have no brand loyalty. I'd drive a car built by the KKK if it was fast enough and cheap enough.
Hyundai - built in 'Bama.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I got discounts on them from my employer's relationship with GM. I bought three GM vehicles over a twenty year period; the last was in 2001.

My last from the blue oval people? 1984! Never again! :thumbsdown:

Hyundai - built in 'Bama.

I've got a 2016 Mustang GT right now. It is arguably the worst built car I've ever owned but it was cheap, fast and it's been incredibly mechanically reliable for a 435hp car. Of course it rattles like a dog kennel and sh!t breaks off it all the time. I have to do a trim repair on it about once a month and the summer heat isn't helping. I just lost my passenger sun shade, I came out at lunch and just found it dangling from an electrical connector.

Also amusingly, my old boss (Audi guy) went to lunch with me and wanted to see the full beans from a stop light. Light turns green and I floor it. All the way through first, then shift to second. As soon as the second gear hooks up my glove box falls open and the owners manual flies out and smacks him right in the stomach. From then on he described it as a $25,000 motor in a $5,000 car. Which is pretty accurate.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can easily see this. Honda has auto plants in USA to avoid tariffs from cars built in japan and shipped over

And this is the thing trump was batting at hitting countries with major tariffs. So companies like ford would move production back into USA

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Honda has auto plants in USA to avoid tariffs from cars built in japan and shipped over
What tariffs? Honda has auto plants here because they make a ton of cars including models primarily or exclusively sold here, plus numerous local tax incentives, so it makes more sense to build here. Tariffs aren’t involved for Honda. They’re just taxes we pay for imported goods, and there are no major ones on Japanese goods.

ICULookin

Road Terror- ICU watching
Beginner User
Reaction score
German cars here-Porsche, Audi and Volkswagen.

JayDog

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
My last 2 new cars were Honda. Bought a 2010 Honda Fit with a bunch of add ons drove it 5 years and traded it for a 2016 HRV. Drove that for 3 years and then traded it for a Mercedes. No issues with either just general maintenance.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
What tariffs? Honda has auto plants here because they make a ton of cars including models primarily or exclusively sold here, plus numerous local tax incentives, so it makes more sense to build here. Tariffs aren’t involved for Honda. They’re just taxes we pay for imported goods, and there are no major ones on Japanese goods.

For sure America has a tariff on Japanese imported cars and motorcycles.

Trump has flat out said he was skeptical of removing the tariff altogether.

Reactions: CPB

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
According to NADA, tariff on imported cars to the USA is 2.5% in addition to any other costs.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
According to NADA, tariff on imported cars to the USA is 2.5% in addition to any other costs.
I just looked it up as well. 25% on trucks

So no wonder the ridgeline, mdx,rdx,Pilot are going on that list for Honda.

See how that list is mostly trucks. Which makes sense

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just hate to see all the issues Honda is having turbocharging their vehicles right now... if you can’t do it right don’t do it at all... it’s not like they’re doing terrible in the economy wars... build what works for you... don’t go with the fads... I hate when companies try to do that.
Post automatically merged:
I have two built and imported Japanese cars and a few American made... a car is a car... just depends on how you treat it... is how dependable it will be.
I gave up on German engineering a few years ago.

Last edited:

CPB

Left Lane for Passing Only
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just looked it up as well. 25% on trucks

So no wonder the ridgeline, mdx,rdx,Pilot are going on that list for Honda.

See how that list is mostly trucks. Which makes sense
Yep, protectionism sucks for consumers.

AlexJ

Агенство Интернет-исследований
Beginner User
Reaction score
Being on this list is kind of meaningless. Look at Jeep Cherokee - sure it is number one on the list but what's the point - it has shitty 9-speed ZF transmission which is made here in US but which is pretty bad. I did a research since I was interested in new Cherokee and a lot of reviews and actual owners on Jeep forums have criticized this transmission, even after recent software updates it still does not shift well and appear to fail early for some owners.

Th3 Factory Freak

Ka..|||||||||||||| eater
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

:hmm::hmm:
Toyota/Lexus fan here. Most of the models I own or owned were 100% built in Japan. The build quality is awesome and they usually have very little issues if at all.

I've owned 2 Hondas, one was a ticket magnet, the other was excellent. (2006 Honda Accord)

Also owned 1 Subaru, and I own one now.

Never owned a German or an American car, doesn't mean I don't like some of them.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Th3 Factory Freak

Ka..|||||||||||||| eater
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium