Newbie questions

Stretch

Doing the dash!!!
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I’m getting interested in scanners and im thinking about picking one up soon. I see you all speak highly of the BCD436HP. Is that the best bang for your buck ? Looking to grab something that does what I need it to without breaking the bank. If so, where can I find them at a decent price? Last question... I’m trying to learn how the whole frequency thing works and I don’t know if this scanner would be fine in Florida and Georgia? How do I tell what frequencies to use and stuff im lost lol

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out radioreference.com to see what is in use in your area, and whether any of the departments you are interested in use encryption. You can also check broadcastify.com for live scanner feeds from your area.

uscrudd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Check out radioreference.com to see what is in use in your area, and whether any of the departments you are interested in use encryption. You can also check broadcastify.com for live scanner feeds from your area.
A buddy of mine has the 436 and it seems to work well... Expensive though. Is there a competitor that makes a similar quality product for less?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has the 436 and it seems to work well... Expensive though. Is there a competitor that makes a similar quality product for less?
The Whistler WS1080/Radio Shack PRO668/GRE PSR800 can receive everything the 436 can, and are available for much less (~$200). IMO the Whistler programming software is also a bit easier to get the hang of as well.

uscrudd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The Whistler WS1080/Radio Shack PRO668/GRE PSR800 can receive everything the 436 can, and are available for much less (~$200). IMO the Whistler programming software is also a bit easier to get the hang of as well.
When I searched I saw the ws1080 anywhere from $600 - $1000. The PSR800 250 used. Does this sound right? Thanks again!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I searched I saw the ws1080 anywhere from $600 - $1000. The PSR800 250 used. Does this sound right? Thanks again!
No, where are you looking?
There are plenty of used ones on the market (eBay, Radio Reference classifieds, local classifieds) in the $200 range.

uscrudd

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
No, where are you looking?
There are plenty of used ones on the market (eBay, Radio Reference classifieds, local classifieds) in the $200 range.

not a fan of the 396XT?
Post automatically merged:
I should probably just get this eh? down to 275

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the 396XT?
Post automatically merged:
I should probably just get this eh? down to 275

The 396XT doesn't do P25 Phase 2 like the other scanners mentioned.

$275 for the 436 is a good deal! Be sure to check out @SquirrelMaster's internal GPS and lithium ion battery mods :)

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
ProVoice? Every DMR tier and MotoTRBO? NXDN?
That's a good point. The Whistler can do DMR, but not ProVoice. The TRX-1/2 can do NXDN as well. I haven't come across any systems in my travels that use any of these modes so I can't comment on their relative performance.

Ermo x

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
X36 is the way to go. Solid performance and can't get around the fact @SquirrelMaster had mods available.

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought so to, but I have to pay $15 just to message the guy :/
$15 to save a lot more? Seems worth it to me! I paid for a premium membership on RR so that I could try to get a BCD436HP cheaper than eBay so IMO it's a good move.

triguy914

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
is there a recommended primer /site/thread on understanding scanners, how to use them, etc? Is it really as simple as using a GPS chip to access all local frequencies? (newbie here too!)

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it really as simple as using a GPS chip to access all local frequencies?
It can be. In handheld or mobile scanners like the Uniden 436/536 and SDS100/200 with the optional GPS antenna hooked up, you can just set it to listen to everything it knows about within range o your location, though it’s usually a good idea to turn off service types you don’t want or need to listen to (air traffic, school busses, etc).

Otherwise each model of scanner has its own quirks and shortcuts and such, but generally operation is a pretty simple concept: it can listen to anything it can receive, which is generally CB (~27MHz) on up past 900MHz. For scanners like the ones mentioned that have national databases loaded, you don’t really have to mess with much. For others that don’t, you need to use something like FreeSCAN installed on your PC to add info you look up from RadioReference (or you can pay to become a premium RR subscriber and FreeSCAN can import your local stuff for you). It’s a whole lot easier these days than it used to be.

jonwienke

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
is there a recommended primer /site/thread on understanding scanners, how to use them, etc? Is it really as simple as using a GPS chip to access all local frequencies? (newbie here too!)
There's a little more to it than that. You need to update the scanner so its database has the current stuff to scan, tell the scanner what categories of stuff you want to hear, and a few other things. But once you do all that, the scanner will automatically change what it scans as you travel around, based on location data from the GPS.

Jason Diaz

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
radioreference.com also has a classified section that I wish I would have known about before I made a purchase

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oxy3