KA band 33.8

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@InsipidMonkey I was thinking the same thing.

@fishing66 do they use pop or have you/ anyone experienced pop in 33.8 areas? These MPH BEE guns are marketed with this pop feature so I can’t believe officers wouldn’t use it.
Not all radar units that have a POP feature/POP capable can use POP mode. Some agencies/state that are restricted from using POP mode have their radar units POP feature disabled from the factory before they ship it out.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@sdrawkcaB you run Ka POP, correct? Thoughts?

I do run Ka POP detection. I don't know if I can say if it has an impact on detection for better or worse of the other common Ka frequencies.

I run Ka POP because I actually see it used by the Lehi, UT police department. I have seen them make traffic stops using it multiple times, right around me. My R3 never failed to it once, nor my R7. I have seen my other detectors false to it, but not my R3 or R7. When they detected it, I've always been able to confirm it with seeing Lehi PD right near by trying to catch someone or actually initiating a traffic stop. I will try to capture some dashcam video the next time I encounter it, as I'd love to show you. I am actually learning some of the particular officers modus operandi of when, where, and how they use it, so I should be able to have a better chance of capturing it in the future on video.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It would be interesting to turn Ka Pop on my R7 and and see how reactivity to 34.7 and 35.5 is affected. Don't have the time right now, unfortunately.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have seen them make traffic stops using it multiple times, right around me.
Wow, do you have any videos of it? Do the Uniden's specifically display some sort of POP alert? I don't think I've ever seen it.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wow, do you have any videos of it? Do the Uniden's specifically display some sort of POP alert? I don't think I've ever seen it.

I have an handheld MPH Speed Gun Pro with Ka POP. I’ll see if I can grab a quick video of it alerting. I need to join the Cool Kids Club and get me a GoPro mounted inside my car like Vortex.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

It shows POP on the display, but doesn't say it.

IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have an handheld MPH Speed Gun Pro with Ka POP. I’ll see if I can grab a quick video of it alerting. I need to join the Cool Kids Club and get me a GoPro mounted inside my car like Vortex.
Ka POP is easily detected by most RD's than their K band POP models.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ka POP is easily detected by most RD's than their K band POP models.

Yeah. I don’t have an MPH Z35 to test out the 16ms K Band POP. I know of one municipality within two hours of me that had one a few years back, but I’m not sure if they still have it anymore.

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus and Lifetime RDF Contributor
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
I had my first Ka POP false this morning with the R7; and it was a doozy. I got "hit" with a rear 33.810, so I slowed a little. It was a pretty strong (75%) initial signal so I thought it was legit. It stayed strong at a stop light and I briefly saw the display on the R7 say POP. The signal kept up and got stronger (100%) when a Jeep Cherokee was right behind me. It briefly showed side when she tried to pass. But stayed very strong for about 10 minutes (I muted it) and the frequency went down to 33.802.
Post automatically merged:

Yes on the R3 and Yes on the R7. I saw it today.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had my first Ka POP false this morning with the R7; and it was a doozy. I got "hit" with a rear 33.810, so I slowed a little. It was a pretty strong (75%) initial signal so I thought it was legit. It stayed strong at a stop light and I briefly saw the display on the R7 say POP. The signal kept up and got stronger (100%) when a Jeep Cherokee was right behind me. It briefly showed side when she tried to pass. But stayed very strong for about 10 minutes (I muted it) and the frequency went down to 33.802.
Post automatically merged:

Yes on the R3 and Yes on the R7. I saw it today.

I could see the possibility of FMCW sweeps overlapping with the POP scan. That'd be a good example of a POP false if you happened to have video for future reference.

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus and Lifetime RDF Contributor
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
I could see the possibility of FMCW sweeps overlapping with the POP scan. That'd be a good example of a POP false if you happened to have video for future reference.

Video yes, but not of the detector. Sorry.

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Found a video by Vortex in regards to accuracy of POP reading. I believe the methodology of the test is flawed or questionable. Watching on the video and based on my observation, there are couple reasons why the radar units were reading differently and at times read the same or +/- 1 mph. Not sure where the antenna's location is of each radar units and not sure if it was set up to where each radar units was hitting 100% every trigger pull with IO or POP at the same distance. Vehicles were targeted at different distances which is one of the flaws, the other would be doing the test in both directions instead of just one direction (incoming) and the other one would be a question if both units was certified or tuned up to specs before testing was done. According to MPH, POP reading is accurate.

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Found a video by Vortex in regards to accuracy of POP reading. I believe the methodology of the test is flawed or questionable. Watching on the video and based on my observation, there are couple reasons why the radar units were reading differently and at times read the same or +/- 1 mph. Not sure where the antenna's location is of each radar units and not sure if it was set up to where each radar units was hitting 100% every trigger pull with IO or POP at the same distance. Vehicles were targeted at different distances which is one of the flaws, the other would be doing the test in both directions instead of just direction (incoming) and the other one would be a question if both units was certified or tuned up to specs before testing was done. According to MPH, POP reading is accurate.

Yeah I agree that the testing methodology could be better. Having just one car on a long straight road would help address the issue of potentially clocking different vehicles with different guns. (IIRC, both antennas were on the dash pointed forward just off camera, but that shouldn't really affect things.)

Besides testing just one car, testing at a longer distance would be helpful too. The longer the distance, the more of an error you'll see in the POP detections. Here's a good read on the math behind why this is the case:

So yeah, I agree that this test could be done better to make the results more clear and definitive. :)

KnightHawk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that the testing methodology could be better. Having just one car on a long straight road would help address the issue of potentially clocking different vehicles with different guns. (IIRC, both antennas were on the dash pointed forward just off camera, but that shouldn't really affect things.)

Besides testing just one car, testing at a longer distance would be helpful too. The longer the distance, the more of an error you'll see in the POP detections. Here's a good read on the math behind why this is the case:

So yeah, I agree that this test could be done better to make the results more clear and definitive. :)
That is why the test is flawed. The theory remains the same whether it is instant on or constant on. The longer the distance the less accurate is your reading.
Yeah I agree that the testing methodology could be better. Having just one car on a long straight road would help address the issue of potentially clocking different vehicles with different guns. (IIRC, both antennas were on the dash pointed forward just off camera, but that shouldn't really affect things.)[/]

Just because the antenna's are on the dash pointed forward does not mean you have a good accurate reading on each radar unit. You have to set each antenna to hit a 100% reading on every target at the same distance and dead on on a specific spot with IO to make sure you are getting the right reading. I would like to use an example of a red dot sight and a riffle zeroing your sight at a specific distance. If the red dot sight was zeroed at 25 yards, any targets above or below that distance will be off target. As mentioned in my earlier post, you should be consistent in testing by testing POP at the same distance not different distances as shown in your video to have a better and more accurate reading. As also stated in my earlier post, the error in your testing is targeting vehicles in different directions because it affects the doppler shift. Incoming vehicles will be high to low pitch and outgoing will be low to high pitch. In real world operation of POP radar, you don't hit the POP trigger every few seconds. You have a LOT of time to cold start the oscillator and you don't hit target's at half a mile distance. It's usually below 1/4 of a mile and close range.

Per Mike V " For the best Gunn oscillator we’ve tested, the error at 1/2-mile range calculates as follows: 0.02015 Hz/ft multiplied by 2640 ft multiplied by 2 (out and back) divided by 100.803 Hz/mph = 1.1 mph. "

How can Mike V say that POP is not accurate when the specs of the radar gun is +/- 1 mph in stationary mode? What was Mike V's findings when they hit a target that was at a distance of 1/4 of a mile or less? 0.2 mph at 500 ft and 0.5 mph at 1/4 of a mile. He says it is not accurate? Just a thought. Majority of LEO's don't give you a ticket if you where going 5-7 mph over PSL.

This is just my comment regarding your testing methodology and error that I have observe. Nothing personal and thank you very much for your great contribution to the community.

Sorry guys. Don't know what happened here why the letters got bold.

Last edited:

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do run Ka POP detection. I don't know if I can say if it has an impact on detection for better or worse of the other common Ka frequencies.

I run Ka POP because I actually see it used by the Lehi, UT police department. I have seen them make traffic stops using it multiple times, right around me. My R3 never failed to it once, nor my R7. I have seen my other detectors false to it, but not my R3 or R7. When they detected it, I've always been able to confirm it with seeing Lehi PD right near by trying to catch someone or actually initiating a traffic stop. I will try to capture some dashcam video the next time I encounter it, as I'd love to show you. I am actually learning some of the particular officers modus operandi of when, where, and how they use it, so I should be able to have a better chance of capturing it in the future on video.
Your post kinda passed by without much reaction but what you reported is concerning. This may be the first or one of the first reports of pop being used that I have read. What pop range are you getting? I never believed the “pop is poop” line from Radar Roy. Pop was regarded as a mythical creature in the past. It probably deserves some attention in places with 33.8.

I have run into 33.8 around Destin, FL so don’t know if any RDF members are in that area.

If 33.8 was in my area, I would probably enable pop

bilo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think vortex test was pretty accurate . The range I have been experiencing is closer 1/2 mile to mile. The exact band is 33.74.
what is the band i receive that in my dfr7and 33.81

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glockman03