Uniden USA (and Canada) GPS updates. New resource for forum members...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Really, really sorry for the delay on this. As some of you may have seen, I've been working hard on a new R7 International 137 firmware update. However, now that is released, and I've also built a lot of additional tools to support it, the USA / Canada gps update is now next on my list. I'm aiming to get this done this weekend. :)
Post automatically merged:

Also because of the new database camera types supported in the new R7 International firmware, there will be a conversion program written to automatically set the higher speed cameras as rural camera type with extra range going up to 800m with 300m overspeed.

It will also separate the redspeed types from redlight types. I have a patch program which can do this automatically using a region command.

Therefore, please could someone confirm which states have the redlight camera alerts as redlight cameras only, and which states have the redlight cameras as redspeed.

Last edited:

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Really, really sorry for the delay on this. As some of you may have seen, I've been working hard on a new R7 International 137 firmware update. However, now that is released, and I've also built a lot of additional tools to support it, the USA / Canada gps update is now next on my list. I'm aiming to get this done this weekend. :)

Also because of the new database camera types supported in the new R7 International firmware, there will be a conversion program written to automatically set the higher speed cameras as rural camera type with extra range going up to 800m with 300m overspeed.

It will also separate the redspeed types from redlight types. I have a patch program which can do this automatically using a region command.

Therefore, please could someone confirm which states have the redlight camera alerts as redlight cameras only, and which states have the redlight cameras as redspeed.
Speed cameras and redlight cameras are unconstitutional in MI, so you don't need to worry about us.

zuul

harvester of sorrow
Beginner User
Reaction score

In Oregon, we have both redlight camera's and redspeed camera's.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Klown I can help you test the 137 International version.

@Vortex

Currently, I haven't yet updated the US GPS database. For the new 137 version this needs a new database version as we also have support on this platform for 5 different camera types (redlight, urban speed, rural speed, redspeed and bus lane). I can automate a match of the US speed camera data to urban and rural speed types based upon the camera overspeed limit.

I've also just now thought of a cunning way to determine how to separate redspeed and redlight from the Uniden database which has redspeed as separate redlight and speed alerts at the same location. Therefore, I'll try to build a conversion program this week so I can also maintain updates for the USA / Canada gps database in the US format, the NZ format, and also now for the International version.

I can automate a match of the US speed camera data
So what speed threshold do people think would be a good idea? E.g. >=80kmh = rural ?

The main difference is that the urban camera types have a maximum alert range of 600m and help minimise false alerts. The rural speed types are set with a maximum gps range of 800m / (and corresponding value in ft). The US data is generally well maintained by Uniden so the directional alerting is usually pretty good and helps reduce false alerts as far as possible.

Obviously, if anyone has bus lane camera data they would like to add, lets build it in.

The 137 version has a menu option to allow you to select bus lane camera alerts on/off, so its a user preference. Going forwards, I plan to use the 137 gps file as the new standard file for conversion back to standard US or NZ format (with just the two camera types). That conversion tool is already written and removes the bus cameras, and writes extra alerts for separate speed and redlight alerts where originally this was a single redspeed alert. Thereby there is always backwards compatibility with the other Uniden GPS models.

Personally, I think going forward, the new international format file is a better file standard as actually this is smaller file size using less camera memory capturing even more camera data.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
35.8729137, -78.7159231

It appears to be for west bound only as there is only one pole with camera and strobes on the east side of the intersection pointing towards the intersection and we don’t have front plates here. However there are signs about the RLC in all 4 directions. How can you tell for sure what directions are covered?
I can see nothing on Google streetview on this one. It was also not added in the latest Uniden DB update (DB_20210105).
If you're okay with this, I'm going to add this as an all directional redlight camera alert type.

@cavecreek93

Any update on the one you reported:

So in decimal, I make those coordinates 33.31975,-111.976389.

There is nothing here even in the new Uniden update.

You could have asked me before I built the new update!?

This is also not included in the latest 2021 Uniden DB update.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So I've written and tested out the international conversion tool which now builds a new USA / Canada database for the 'International' R7 version.

This file also includes therefore the i) Uniden America gps DB files, the Uniden NZ format equivalent USA/Canada database and also the new R7 International database equivalent.

Please see the readme file for more info.

Attachments

• USA_Canada_V1_19.zip
    251.1 KB · Views: 25

jonup

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Klown I can help you test the 137 International version.

@Vortex

Currently, I haven't yet updated the US GPS database. For the new 137 version this needs a new database version as we also have support on this platform for 5 different camera types (redlight, urban speed, rural speed, redspeed and bus lane). I can automate a match of the US speed camera data to urban and rural speed types based upon the camera overspeed limit.

I've also just now thought of a cunning way to determine how to separate redspeed and redlight from the Uniden database which has redspeed as separate redlight and speed alerts at the same location. Therefore, I'll try to build a conversion program this week so I can also maintain updates for the USA / Canada gps database in the US format, the NZ format, and also now for the International version.

So what speed threshold do people think would be a good idea? E.g. >=80kmh = rural ?

The main difference is that the urban camera types have a maximum alert range of 600m and help minimise false alerts. The rural speed types are set with a maximum gps range of 800m / (and corresponding value in ft). The US data is generally well maintained by Uniden so the directional alerting is usually pretty good and helps reduce false alerts as far as possible.

Obviously, if anyone has bus lane camera data they would like to add, lets build it in.

The 137 version has a menu option to allow you to select bus lane camera alerts on/off, so its a user preference. Going forwards, I plan to use the 137 gps file as the new standard file for conversion back to standard US or NZ format (with just the two camera types). That conversion tool is already written and removes the bus cameras, and writes extra alerts for separate speed and redlight alerts where originally this was a single redspeed alert. Thereby there is always backwards compatibility with the other Uniden GPS models.

Personally, I think going forward, the new international format file is a better file standard as actually this is smaller file size using less camera memory capturing even more camera data.
How does this affect older RDs? Can it still be used on R3 and DFR7/9?

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So the file has the standard USA format database file also. So that works on all all the other Uniden US RDs. I.e. v135 and earlier R7, R3, DFR7, DFR9, LRD950.

cavecreek93

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can see nothing on Google streetview on this one. It was also not added in the latest Uniden DB update (DB_20210105).
If you're okay with this, I'm going to add this as an all directional redlight camera alert type.

@cavecreek93

Any update on the one you reported:

So in decimal, I make those coordinates 33.31975,-111.976389.

There is nothing here even in the new Uniden update.

You could have asked me before I built the new update!?

This is also not included in the latest 2021 Uniden DB update.
@Mithheru that one was decommisioned. It's not a threat :)

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There is a red light camera and speed camera for both directions at this intersection. I only get alerts when traveling south.

49.0344659, -122.2667126

Can you confirm this should or shouldn't work?

Reactions: jcp

Jason Michael Behr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi....

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My R7 used to alert me to a red light and speed camera (in both directions) on Crowchild Trail (Highway 1A) at the intersection as you cross past 12 Mile Coulee Road. However since the Jan database update now it just alerts me to the speed camera and not the red light anymore. Only it flashes on a daily basis when people try to "make the light" so I know it is still there. If you don't mind, please.

51.143426, -114.256499​

red Light.jpg

zuul

harvester of sorrow
Beginner User
Reaction score
you may need to DM @Mithheru directly... not sure he is monitoring these threads anymore...

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi....

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My R7 used to alert me to a red light and speed camera (in both directions) on Crowchild Trail (Highway 1A) at the intersection as you cross past 12 Mile Coulee Road. However since the Jan database update now it just alerts me to the speed camera and not the red light anymore. Only it flashes on a daily basis when people try to "make the light" so I know it is still there. If you don't mind, please.

51.143426, -114.256499​

View attachment 176713
There is a new database released a few days ago from Uniden. Check it out too.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
you may need to DM @Mithheru directly... not sure he is monitoring these threads anymore...

Sorry, guys, I don't always get the reminders, and/or I get so many I seem to miss some. Give me a few days and I'll get the new Uniden update rebuild and the above reports also included.

Jason Michael Behr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There is a new database released a few days ago from Uniden. Check it out too.
Nope :(

Installed it and it did not work and now another one is missing LOL

Also this is now missing. But the "flash" is happening from the camera so it is still there.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crowchild Trail again, going in both directions
Speed Camera and red-light camera
Speed is 70KM per hour in both directions

51.074307, -114.118453​

1618502706168.png

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the RLC/CAM that I reported that used to be at 33°19'11.1"N 111°58'35.0"W or Ray Rd and 50th St in Phoenix.
This is not in the new update, so looks like Uniden removed it before I did.

There is a red light camera and speed camera for both directions at this intersection. I only get alerts when traveling south.

49.0344659, -122.2667126

Can you confirm this should or shouldn't work?
The new build also only has the heading south only:

49.03509903,-122.2671967: Speed Cam 50km/h Mono-directional SSE (163 Deg)
49.03509903,-122.2671967: Redlight Cam Mono-directional SSE (163 Deg)

Therefore, I will rebuild to be bidirectional N and S.

Hi....

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

51.143426, -114.256499​

View attachment 176713
This looks correct in the new update....

However, then I read your later post. That is odd, as Uniden's data looks correct. Please retest in my new version, and if not working, I'll rebuild in a different way. Perhaps check your redlight settings in your R7 as both speed and redlight are built on the same GPS datapoint. Therefore if you get speed alert, you should get redlight.

Speed is 70KM per hour in both directions

51.074307, -114.118453​

New build has this alerting North only. I will add the alert for going south also.

Sorry for the wait everyone....

Here is the new v1.20 USA and Canada GPS update

Attachments

• USA_Canada_V1_20.zip
    251.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

zuul

harvester of sorrow
Beginner User
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, I don't always get the reminders, and/or I get so many I seem to miss some. Give me a few days and I'll get the new Uniden update rebuild and the above reports also included.
@Mithheru as always... thank you for your hard work and dedication to this project. it is much appreciated...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49