R3 on a Ducati - Video

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick video of my Ducati Xdiavel with a Uniden R3 mounted on the clutch reservoir via 150 mph velcro and nothing else. I have tested it at 150 and it works just fine. Keeping it mounted flush with the reservoir makes it hard to spot (not impossible) which I like. Velcro means it is easy to take on and off. I was able to remove it and put it in my jacket while riding (cruise control) when it started raining. No need to stop. I run a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter with the R3 headphone jack with gives me wireless audio to my Sena SRL2 headset in my helmet. Very nice setup that has saved me many times over the past few months.

I'll take some pictures of the setup later.
R3 on Ducati Video

-Studio 1930

Biohazardous

Finding the loopholes
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at that spot last night on my bike. Also what is this cruise control you speak of?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me, and the reason I have mine behind a flyscreen, is a stone hitting the front lens. I'd put some sort of clear plastic guard on that set up.
The flyscreen also deflects rain to a degree at speed.

Bossdad71

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick video of my Ducati Xdiavel with a Uniden R3 mounted on the clutch reservoir via 150 mph velcro and nothing else. I have tested it at 150 and it works just fine. Keeping it mounted flush with the reservoir makes it hard to spot (not impossible) which I like. Velcro means it is easy to take on and off. I was able to remove it and put it in my jacket while riding (cruise control) when it started raining. No need to stop. I run a Sena SM10 Bluetooth transmitter with the R3 headphone jack with gives me wireless audio to my Sena SRL2 headset in my helmet. Very nice setup that has saved me many times over the past few months.

R3 on Ducati Video

-Studio 1930
wonder if they make sometime of box with an open end just in case a person runs into rain and dont have a lot of time to pull the detector down. I know roy used a shower cap, but the looks might be kind of ugly

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing that concerns me, and the reason I have mine behind a flyscreen, is a stone hitting the front lens. I'd put some sort of clear plastic guard on that set up.
The flyscreen also deflects rain to a degree at speed.
Yep, always a risk. I have to clean bugs off the front of the detector quite often. If rain or stones damage the detector, I'll just replace it. It if happens too often, I'll consider better protection. I want to keep my bike open with clean, low lines. Other bikes lend themselves to better protection (sportbikes with built-in windscreens, sport-tour or tour bikes...). :)

Freebird

Poking the bears.
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a similar set up on a naked and I ran a large black zip tie around it in addition to the industrial strength velvro for piece of mind.

Also a quart size zip lock freezer bag and rubber bands carried with you works great for getting caught in the rain.

I had to clean the lens quite a bit for bug splats but I never was concerned about a rock breaking the lens. That plastic lens is pretty sturdy.

Biohazardous

Finding the loopholes
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

R3 on Ducati Video

-Studio 1930

You got pictures of how you got it on the reservoir cap?

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
You got pictures of how you got it on the reservoir cap?
I meant to take pictures last night, but I was in the basement waiting for the mile-wide tornado to pass by...and then I forgot about it. ;)

I'll get some tonight. It is basically just a cut piece of industrial velcro stuck to the top of the reservoir and then a matching piece on the bottom of the detector. Simple and effective. :)

-Studio1930

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
wonder if they make sometime of box with an open end just in case a person runs into rain and dont have a lot of time to pull the detector down. I know roy used a shower cap, but the looks might be kind of ugly
I use a small elasticised plastic bag. It wraps over the detector and mount, and stays in place at high speed.

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is how the R3 is mounted and wired. Very simple. Cut some velcro (Industrial stuff) and stick it on the top of the clutch reservoir. Put some on the bottom of the R3 and you are done. Tested at 150 MPH with no issues.
R3_mount1.jpg
R3_mount2.jpg

-Studio 1930

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you get the audio to the helmet?
I use a Sena SM10 to my helmet that has a Sena BT headset (SRL2), although the SM10 will connect to other headsets too.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby