Has anybody actually tested the unit mounted sideways!?

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I know its a BAD idea. Hear me out. So I had the NR DSP mounted in my bike's fairing but the surfaces in front are NOT flat but no metal as far as I know. The few KA hits I've had I've averaged no more then half a mile and that was with a cop on the other side coming straight toward me. Today I found some highway signals that would usually amount to 1-1.5 mile hits give or take on my R1 in the car and I made sure to look down at my odometer and it came out to about 0.3 miles... I had the bright idea of mounting it under my headlight in between my 1RX/1TX head BUT fork travel puts my fender VERY close to it at max movement. Only other spots are also behind things that aren't flat or have metal. Sideways mounting is VERY possible thought. I read a bit about the horizontal polarized radar used in the US but realistically how much do I lose? 25%? 50%? 75%? Has anybody actually tested it with numbers in hand? As you can tell I'm at about 25% performance at best right meow... :350:
Post automatically merged:
Old but it has some info. Looks like it'll be even worse then I had it! :kittyshifty:

Radar Detector Tests and Reviews by Guys of LIDAR - LASER

Last edited:

butterman

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Your range wont be affected in a straight on condition but you should see a significant reduction in signal strength for off axis signals. You can see how wide the horn is and how how narrow the height is in these R7 teardown pics (the r3/dsp horn is likely very similar). You'll get amazing signal if an LEO is shooting you from a chopper but I'd imagine your off-axis shots are going to be much, much worse. By all means lets see some testing though, you never know exactly how much until you test it.

KrazyK

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there metal flake in the paint? That would affect your reception.
Your RD needs to aim up the road in a fairly flat and level position.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your range wont be affected in a straight on condition but you should see a significant reduction in signal strength for off axis signals. You can see how wide the horn is and how how narrow the height is in these R7 teardown pics (the r3/dsp horn is likely very similar). You'll get amazing signal if an LEO is shooting you from a chopper but I'd imagine your off-axis shots are going to be much, much worse. By all means lets see some testing though, you never know exactly how much until you test it.
It's not just the aspect ratio of the horn, it's the polarization of the signal. RDs are designed to detect vertically polarized radar, as all radar guns used in the US are either vertically polarized or circularly polarized. Due to the way radar propagates over the ground, horizontally polarized signals are attenuated much more than vertically polarized signals. There are some low-powered horizontally polarized K band systems in use where a vertically mounted detector will give you better detection range, but with a significant hit in sensitivity to all other vertically or circularly polarized radar.

More info:

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there metal flake in the paint? That would affect your reception.
Your RD needs to aim up the road in a fairly flat and level position.
Nope. Simple Suzuki Blue (lighter blue than this pic). The front end is NOT flat so I think that is my problem... I highlighted a pic of where the RD is under (right highlight) and the NOT flat surface in front of it under the highlighted circle.

PS: I did have it upside down as it was easier to mount would that reduce my range THAT much!?

Suzukird.JPG

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did have it upside down as it was easier to mount would that reduce my range THAT much!?
Upside down is fine.

The angled plastic is definitely doing you no favors... There is no way to mount it high enough between the front fork to clear the suspension travel?

How much is the front faring/trim piece? Maybe you can modify it enough to give the detector a clear view ahead?

oktavf

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Upside down is fine.

The angled plastic is definitely doing you no favors... There is no way to mount it high enough between the front fork to clear the suspension travel?

How much is the front faring/trim piece? Maybe you can modify it enough to give the detector a clear view ahead?
It clears literally with about a quarter of a inch of extra space with my current preload settings. Mind you this is the max down south aka GOOD roads. I can quickly go past my current max say on the way to Lake George next week! :( And yeah I thought about cutting into it but the light is smack dead in the middle so that is kind of out as well unless I cut the not flat sides but then it will look horrible and probably won't help my current head shake at higher speeds that I'm getting with 3 hard bags as it is... I originally had it mounted a bit back from the not flat area. What if I move the RD closer to it? Will it help any!? I don't expect 3 mile pickups just enough to let go of the throttle and slow down...

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this one up, but after reading, I wondered if vertically mounting this would be decent for low powered Redflex?
People mount them this way for certain cameras in certain areas. Wondered if it could improve performance in this scenario?

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this one up, but after reading, I wondered if vertically mounting this would be decent for low powered Redflex?
People mount them this way for certain cameras in certain areas. Wondered if it could improve performance in this scenario?
I know that mounting RD's at 90° does help against some camera radars because they're polarized, although I don't know about Redflex specifically. Just be aware that this mounting position will compromise range for standard traffic radar if they're also a threat I your area.
Radenso's soon to be released Theia is supposed to be able to detect all forms of radar, regardless of polarization without compromising it's mounting position.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby