Motorcycle volume, need more

macraige

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
I have a V1 with the Bluetooth Dongle in the tank bag of my motorcycle that is paired with my iPhone X. The iPhone is paired to my Sena S20 headset mounted to an AGV full face helmet to which I listen via custom moulded earplug speakers plugged into the Sena. I listen to music that is resident on the iPhone using the native Apple Music App. My wife also rides her own bike and we use the Sena for an intercom.

The Sena is paired only to my Wife's Sena and the iPhone.

I have the V1 Driver app on the iPhone. In the Sounds menu, I have turned on: Sound Enable, Use HFP, and Duck Music. The volume is on 10.

When riding, I have the music playing and can hear it just fine. When I get a radar hit, the music turns down and the audio from the V1 & V1 Driver activates to provide information about the radar.

Here's the problem and the reason for this post.

When going less than 40 mph or so, the volume from the V1 is sufficient but when the speed gets above 60, then with wind noise inside the helmet makes it hard to understand the audio from the V1/V1D. At turnpike speeds in OK (80+) the V1/V1D audio is unintelligible. I have the volume on the iPhone at or close to max. Turning up the volume on the Sena does not solve the issue.

How do I get more volume from the audio output of the V1/V1D that ultimately is produced by the earplug speakers?

Biohazardous

Finding the loopholes
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You can try helmet speakers instead of your earplugs. Or try using an inline amp.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Couple things.

If your using HFP that is a different path way. In cars that is often a separately controlled volume in the car. Many cars today require that “source” playing while you change the “main” volume to adjust it. It’s the same volume control as phone calls. Be careful it’s not to loud on a phone call.

However, if you already have music playing HFP is bypassed and not used. It basically only uses that HFP pathway if it thinks you might not hear it.

Is the Voice to low or the beep tones to low? Or both?

Last edited:

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a similar setup: Sena 20S, iPhone 8, V1 with dongle and V1Driver. Just in case you didn't know this, the Sena allows for individual volume setting for each input function, so have you turned the jog dial all the way to loud while the V1 is alerting (easiest to do during the intial V1Driver connection, rather than when you are dealing with a real radar incident)?

-dan

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
I have a similar setup: Sena 20S, iPhone 8, V1 with dongle and V1Driver. Just in case you didn't know this, the Sena allows for individual volume setting for each input function, so have you turned the jog dial all the way to loud while the V1 is alerting (easiest to do during the intial V1Driver connection, rather than when you are dealing with a real radar incident)?

-dan

Keep in mind, most folks with a Helmet setup are always streaming. If your always streaming you are better off with HFP Off.
HFP Off will be quicker and V1Driver will use the same channel as what your streaming on.

HFP is really designed for when you are NOT Streaming (FM, XM, CD) on your Car Radio. When you might be using one of those it's good to have HFP on and it will switch to the "Phone Channel" to make sure you hear it. But if you're already on a "Bluetooth" streaming Music or Podcast there is no need to switch to phone for V1Driver alerts. You have more control over mixing your Streamed content and V1Driver as well. Where the "Phone channel" is always exclusive, full stop in what you're streaming etc.

I honestly forget how things need to be set if you want alerts during phone call. Be sure to test that during a phone call that it behaves the way you want.

Last edited:

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@mswlogo:

Great info, thanks! I have been running HFP off and it works very well. One question/clarification: when you say "always streaming," do you mean that regardless of whether you are listening to music etc. that a setup such as the Sena headset is always in streaming mode? It seems that way to me and I never use music. And at the risk of being flamed, have to say that if you are in need of radar alerts while yakking on the phone - especially on a motorcycle - good luck to you. ;-)

-dan

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
@mswlogo:

Great info, thanks! I have been running HFP off and it works very well. One question/clarification: when you say "always streaming," do you mean that regardless of whether you are listening to music etc. that a setup such as the Sena headset is always in streaming mode? It seems that way to me and I never use music. And at the risk of being flamed, have to say that if you are in need of radar alerts while yakking on the phone - especially on a motorcycle - good luck to you. ;-)

-dan

As long as your Bluetooth channel is “open” you should be fine. You can “stream” silence if you want. I understand you need to be more on top of things on a bike, especially when multi tasking and perhaps you stick to PSL while yakking. In the car if I’m on the phone I still want it announce through the car audio, It might even get me to hang up and focus on what’s going on and call back when it’s all clear. Even if I’m not speeding I still like to know where the Leo’s are. Sometimes I’ll slow down even below PSL until I can confirm I have the PSL correct.

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
...Sometimes I’ll slow down even below PSL until I can confirm I have the PSL correct.

This is why I like that my GPS (Garmin zumo 660) displays the PSL for most roads.The related function that displays my speed in red if it is > PSL is much less useful, as I fear the red pixels in the display will soon wear out. ;-)

-dan

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
This is why I like that my GPS (Garmin zumo 660) displays the PSL for most roads.The related function that displays my speed in red if it is > PSL is much less useful, as I fear the red pixels in the display will soon wear out. ;-)

-dan

My Jeep announces via voice when I’m over based on the threshold I set. Which I set to 15 over PSL. I generally drive 10 over PSL and really don’t want to ever be 15 over. But I don’t want to be 10 over while passing an unmarked Leo. My Jeep also displays PSL but I could be in construction zone (sometimes if it’s a long stretch and just getting started it isn’t always blatantly obvious) but it doesn’t have live traffic so I never have that up. Finally Google Maps has PSL in Car Play. My Tesla also has the best PSL display. But my knee jerk reaction is to still always let off on the gas ( or electron ) pedal when hit with unexpected Ka. Actually more likely Cruise Control cancel. Even if I think I’m good or rarely pushing it that much. I need a moment to assess and rather be slowing down while I do that. I might resume 5 seconds later. I’m usually focused on the road itself and tunes.

Last edited:

macraige

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score

-dan

Dan:

I didn't know about the ability to set individual volume for each input. Presently, the volume of the music from the iPhone is good amd I can easily adjust it by adjusting the volume on the iPhone, so I don't think this feature will solve the problem. I don't talk on my phone while riding. I will try turning the HFP off.

danham

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dan:

I didn't know about the ability to set individual volume for each input. Presently, the volume of the music from the iPhone is good amd I can easily adjust it by adjusting the volume on the iPhone, so I don't think this feature will solve the problem. I don't talk on my phone while riding. I will try turning the HFP off.

OK, then just in case I wasn't clear, in order to set volume for each function, that function has to be active when you turn the jog dial. So if you turn it up loud with no function in progress, it merely turns up the tones/voices that the Sena makes to let you know it's connected or menu items, etc. So it might help your problem if you turn it up while the V1 is alerting. Just because the volume is set loud enough for music does not necessarily mean it will also affect V1 Driver sending alerts, though I can't recall if the Sena considers that a separate Bluetooth "channel."

-dan

mswlogo

Software Developer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
OK, then just in case I wasn't clear, in order to set volume for each function, that function has to be active when you turn the jog dial. So if you turn it up loud with no function in progress, it merely turns up the tones/voices that the Sena makes to let you know it's connected or menu items, etc. So it might help your problem if you turn it up while the V1 is alerting. Just because the volume is set loud enough for music does not necessarily mean it will also affect V1 Driver sending alerts, though I can't recall if the Sena considers that a separate Bluetooth "channel."

-dan

Sena will see it as separate if HFP is ON and together with Music with HFP OFF.

You’re better with HFP OFF here.

macraige

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
Thanks to Dan & MSW. I will try those suggestions. Great forum.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jln