Uniden BCD436HP GPS Mod

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be redesigning OB-Grip again. LOL. I'm guessing I could design it to get it to work. We'd have to decide which charger to fit in in though.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be redesigning OB-Grip again. LOL. I'm guessing I could design it to get it to work. We'd have to decide which charger to fit in in though.
I can send you what I have in mind or just the dimensions of it

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, let me know what you were thinking.

dchemist

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This is freaking awesome!

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I certainly should be able to redesign the OB-Grip to incorporate that.

studio1930

but it goes to 11
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in this and the battery mod.

azslogan

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for your work on this. Can’t wait to implement this and your battery mod!

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Add me in for one too!

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you buy that one Insipid posted today from Ebay?
Nope. I saw something posted recently about there being different hardware revisions where the earlier ones had some issues. I wanted to research this more to understand how to identify the earlier and more recent BCD496HP units before I attempt to buy one.

Got Jeep

Strange days have found us
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone can PM me for my clipped notes regarding 436 versions.
It's just some jumbled line copies from RR. Nothing great, but a starting point.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope. I saw something posted recently about there being different hardware revisions where the earlier ones had some issues. I wanted to research this more to understand how to identify the earlier and more recent BCD496HP units before I attempt to buy one.
I do recommend asking for serial numbers and checking to see if it’s an older unit or manufactured ideally 2017+. All 436’s have serials starting with 376Zn, and that number after the Z is the year of manufacture. Mine is 376Z7xxxxxxx, so 2017. Older units had some possible issues, most from second half of 2016 (can’t really tell from the serial) are good to go, and everything after for sure.

jonwienke

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm the guy doing the GPS and battery mods referenced in the RR thread.

I'm still using the Reyax GPS modules, which require a cutout on the back of the case for the GPS patch antenna due to their thickness, because every other GPS module I tried (a dozen or so different brands) caused some degree of RFI on various VHF and low band frequencies, even with ferrites on the power and data leads, foil shielding, etc. Is that something that's been tested here?

I like the wireless charging idea, though. The reason I made the cutout for the second USB port was to reduce wear on the factory mini-USB port--charge with the extra port, and save the factory one for programming. I agree it's not the prettiest thing, though. Wireless eliminates the need for the ugly cutout.
Post automatically merged:

If the manufacture year is 2016, it may or may not have C1 installed. If C1 is not present, the battery compartment will emit some RFI that may (depending on your antenna configuration) degrade UHF reception.

If the manufacture year is 2015 or earlier, it may have a version of the display board that does not have the solder pads for C1, and the clock and display have issues that prompted Uniden to do a recall to replace the display board. They are still servicing affected units for free, and pay shipping both ways.

2017 and later units have no hardware problems.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm the guy doing the GPS and battery mods referenced in the RR thread.

I'm still using the Reyax GPS modules, which require a cutout on the back of the case for the GPS patch antenna due to their thickness, because every other GPS module I tried (a dozen or so different brands) caused some degree of RFI on various VHF and low band frequencies, even with ferrites on the power and data leads, foil shielding, etc. Is that something that's been tested here?

I like the wireless charging idea, though. The reason I made the cutout for the second USB port was to reduce wear on the factory mini-USB port--charge with the extra port, and save the factory one for programming. I agree it's not the prettiest thing, though. Wireless eliminates the need for the ugly cutout.
Post automatically merged:

If the manufacture year is 2016, it may or may not have C1 installed. If C1 is not present, the battery compartment will emit some RFI that may (depending on your antenna configuration) degrade UHF reception.

If the manufacture year is 2015 or earlier, it may have a version of the display board that does not have the solder pads for C1, and the clock and display have issues that prompted Uniden to do a recall to replace the display board. They are still servicing affected units for free, and pay shipping both ways.

2017 and later units have no hardware problems.
Glad to see we found the source!

Regarding the OP, and this thread he is taking a hiatus from the forum for a short period of time (we hope) so if you can be a source of information that would be awesome!

I myself have a BCD436HP that I haven't been running since I don't know enough about it, and the fact I was chewing through the batteries. Actually I bought rechargeables today to remedy the battery issue, and was going to dip my toe back in the scanner arena as a countermeasure. So glad you're here!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tightpaul16