Uniden R7 NZ

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
@winterbrew would there be any value in keeping a DB of Aus K band threats?

thoughts?
Yeah, we sort of had one going in for each state the RDFGS sticky post in the AU/NZ section, but it hasn't been updated for ages.

In WA, our K band threat is mostly mobile (Kustom Signals Falcon HR and Raptor RP-1), The only fixed cams that use K are MRCT based so will alert to that on an MRCD/CT enabled detector. All mobile cams in WA are lidar based.

Redflex mobile cams are used in the Eastern States however.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I got a message from someone following a response from blulink about a possibility of updating his R7 NZ:

Here is their response

"125.124.112 is the latest NZ firmware, there are currently no newer versions for NZ if you see a higher version number it will most likely be the USA firmware. The New Zealand firmware is optimised for NZ. America software is specific to them and no need for us to match it. We do regular updates for speed camera and red light cameras. Do not put the USA firmware on your unit as this will brick the unit and you will have to purchase a new unit.".

I find this response not entirely unsurprising, but we do know Uniden New Zealand developed a 130.130.113 firmware.

It suggests they also don't yet know about the R7 international 128 version, which has more options to fully customise the segmentation on K band than the R7 NZ version.

I'm guessing they also don't have a clue about the existence of the Uniden R7 Israeli version?

I'm hoping the release of the R7 international version can force their hand and allow people to update their R7 NZ to something a bit better. Restricting people (like for example the old R3 138 NZ/A firmware) was bad enough, let's not see the same thing for the R7 especially when the US version and International version will both likely get auto gps lockouts and other benefits in the future.

I did manage to help Uniden New Zealand update their GPS database in Dunedin by reporting specifically telling them they put an '8' instead of a '7' in one of the gps coordinates, and to inform them about a couple of new cameras in Auckland. I don't want to see Uniden New Zealand or blulink fall by the wayside. But I don't want to have to support them with stuff I worked out and developed when I'm not even one of their employees or contractors.

@UnidenSupport Please can you see if something can be done about this. There is no point constraining your customers in New Zealand to older R7 firmware when every other country on the planet can have multiple choices and firmware versions available for the R7.

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I got a message from someone following a response from blulink about a possibility of updating his R7 NZ:

Here is their response

"125.124.112 is the latest NZ firmware, there are currently no newer versions for NZ if you see a higher version number it will most likely be the USA firmware. The New Zealand firmware is optimised for NZ. America software is specific to them and no need for us to match it. We do regular updates for speed camera and red light cameras. Do not put the USA firmware on your unit as this will brick the unit and you will have to purchase a new unit.".

I find this response not entirely unsurprising, but we do know Uniden New Zealand developed a 130.130.113 firmware.

It suggests they also don't yet know about the R7 international 128 version, which has more options to fully customise the segmentation on K band than the R7 NZ version.

I'm guessing they also don't have a clue about the existence of the Uniden R7 Israeli version?

I'm hoping the release of the R7 international version can force their hand and allow people to update their R7 NZ to something a bit better. Restricting people (like for example the old R3 138 NZ/A firmware) was bad enough, let's not see the same thing for the R7 especially when the US version and International version will both likely get auto gps lockouts and other benefits in the future.

I did manage to help Uniden New Zealand update their GPS database in Dunedin by reporting specifically telling them they put an '8' instead of a '7' in one of the gps coordinates, and to inform them about a couple of new cameras in Auckland. I don't want to see Uniden New Zealand or blulink fall by the wayside. But I don't want to have to support them with stuff I worked out and developed when I'm not even one of their employees or contractors.

@UnidenSupport Please can you see if something can be done about this. There is no point constraining your customers in New Zealand to older R7 firmware when every other country on the planet can have multiple choices and firmware versions available for the R7.
maybe Uniden should put you on their payroll! :)

your firmware works perfectly for me!

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Im not sure if one exists already, but im thinking it might be a good idea to create a database of Redflex K band detection's, so that anyone can set up their R7 to scan whats local in the area, eg. so if i lived in Christchurch, i would know that local Redflex operate between 23.97Ghz to 24.40 and set up my K segs accordingly (thats if your running @Mithheru custom FW). If i were on a long road trip and need to expand the K scan then i could do so, knowing what freq were operating on my trip.

so far i have confirmed these reported sources, and would be keen to hear what other freq you come across and build the database up.

North Island:
Auckland:

Wellington:

South Island:
Christchurch:
Dunedin:

@winterbrew would there be any value in keeping a DB of Aus K band threats?

thoughts?
I can add 24.016 to the list (from near Tauranga)

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Zakk a good idea. Perhaps if possible we can record i) the make and colour of the van; ii) the licence plate (review dashcam) as well as iii) the operating frequency.

Recording licence plate may not seem so useful. However, over time, it might give an idea as to how far these vans can travel, and/or if they ever get swapped around.

We can add the three in Wellington with frequencies all located within the range of about 23.980 - 24.035 (one is a red hyundai (HTF443 operating at about 24.02), one is a blue hyundai (often seen on SH2 towards upper hutt exact details ???) and the other is a silver VW: LRZ139 at ~ 24.01).

Need to be a little careful reporting frequencies as the K frequency can vary by temperature. Not sure how much this affects the redflex set up, but I would expect/predict a variance of say something at least around +/- 0.01.

@Chrisneal reported a blue van around Taihape that was operating somewhere within 23.97-24.06 on the 127 firmware.
He also reported a white van around Turangi that was operating in the higher frequency range of the 127 firmware I.e. somewhere in the 24.060-24.110 region.

We also know there is a silver VW van sometimes seen around Palmerston North somewhere within 23.97-24.05 @Jakesey do you have any more info on this one?

I had several reports that there is also a possibility of there being a redflex van somewhere north of Auckland possibly operating somewhere down to or below 23.95. Getting this confirmed on an R7 would be especially useful.

So for those people driving across country you will need still to extend up to 24.11. For most local regions 23.97-24.04 should be more than adequate, and great for minimising false alerts.
Post automatically merged:

I bet there can't be more than about 30 of these vans for the entire country, shouldn't take too long to get them all marked down.

Last edited:

NTLGNC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
a response from blulink "Do not put the USA firmware on your unit as this will brick the unit and you will have to purchase a new unit.".

@Mittheru In follow up to our discussion linked above, please confirm there is now no risk of "bricking" in replacing my R7NZ with your latest "International" firmware. I have welcomed your updated GPS databases, but changing to your latest firmware enhancements is compelling .

@Mittheru In follow up to our discussion...
@Mithheru My spelding ees atrocearce

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

@Mittheru In follow up to our discussion linked above, please confirm there is now no risk of "bricking" in replacing my R7NZ with your latest "International" firmware. I have welcomed your updated GPS databases, but changing to your latest firmware enhancements is compelling .

@Mithheru My spelding ees atrocearce
I'm not supporting a conversion of the R7 NZ to my R7 international version at this time. However, I am happy to update the GPS database on the R7 NZ. Any updates I release I guarantee will not 'brick' your detector. All my builds are software verified and tested on multiple devices before release.

NTLGNC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm not supporting a conversion of the R7 NZ to my R7 international version at this time. However, I am happy to update the GPS database on the R7 NZ. Any updates I release I guarantee will not 'brick' your detector. All my builds are software verified and tested on multiple devices before release.
@Mithheru Completely understood and Thanks for clarifying for myself and other R7NZ owners. Such is the price for being an early adopter and supporting local distributors!

Tatuatu

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
hello. were find firmware uniden r7 zealand? because the NZ firmware K band segmentation

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen