Uniden R7 NZ

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would have TSF: OFF My understanding is having that on will reduce the sensitivity. I've always had it off on my R7.
I have mine in the centre mounted on its side as I want redflex detection capability maximised. I have currently run out of suction mounts to mount sideways, but I can get some more.

For the NZ model you want K1 segment on and K2 segment off (assuming you want mobile redflex detection). Otherwise for ultra quiet performance you can rely upon mark I eyeball for redflex van detection and turn both K1 and K2 segments off.

DSCN3093.jpg

Last edited:

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would have TSF: OFF My understanding is having that on will reduce the sensitivity. I've always had it off on my R7.
I have mine in the centre mounted on its side as I want redflex detection capability maximised. I have currently run out of suction mounts to mount sideways, but I can get some more.

For the NZ model you want K1 segment on and K2 segment off (assuming you want mobile redflex detection). Otherwise for ultra quiet performance you can rely upon mark I eyeball for redflex van detection and turn both K1 and K2 segments off.

View attachment 150940
Oh thats different,is it pointing out in the center of screen,looks like on a angle,could be the pic,I turned x and k band off,ka is on,what do you mean segment?sorry all new to me

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh thats different,is it pointing out in the center of screen,looks like on a angle,could be the pic,I turned x and k band off,ka is on,what do you mean segment?sorry all new to me
NZ version of R7 has the ability to segment K band- break it up.
So K segment 1- 23.900 to 24.110 - which is all you need for Redflex camera detection.

Here is my setup, bonus long range - difficult terrain Ka pickup.

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
NZ version of R7 has the ability to segment K band- break it up.
So K segment 1- 23.900 to 24.110 - which is all you need for Redflex camera detection.

Here is my setup, bonus long range - difficult terrain Ka pickup.
Thank you,I will try sort mine in the morning,just annoyed regarding the rubbish mount it comes with

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thank you,I will try sort mine in the morning,just annoyed regarding the rubbish mount it comes with
Where do I get that kind of mount from to mount it up there,also would you mind going through the menu and showing me what you have on/off etc please

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The trick with the dual suction cup mounts is to give your windshield a good clean with a cloth, then blow on the suction cups, and stick them babies on, pushing on each suction cup as you do (may even hear a little pop sound as they stick).

Good luck!

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Where do I get that kind of mount from to mount it up there,also would you mind going through the menu and showing me what you have on/off etc please
I am running a US version with some custom firmware designed by @Mithheru so it will be different. @Zakk can you help?

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

View attachment 150940
what r7 mount is this one? i like the idea of vertical mount with the buttons facing up for easy access

jamswirl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all, new to radar’s and looking to purchase an R7. Question is, am i better to buy an r7 NZ or import from the US? Looking like a US import is likely much cheaper and then contact @Mithheru to purchase their firmware?
Sounds like it’s a much better option and would rather pay someone for dedicated/tested NZ firmware... especially sharing a city with them. Thanks!

Mythic01

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interesting. You guys can detect Redflex well with the R7?
Are we talking about the same style of Redflex such as is used in Canada (Calgary?)
Truck parked on the side of the road, photo radar, takes a picture of your rear plate when you have driven past?
Or are these cameras taking pictures of front plates? IMO would make more sense the R7 could detect if the radar is shot towards you.

kwaknet

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
hi guys,

i was able to get US version Uniden R7 refurbished, Whats really the difference between US version and NZ version?
in terms of hardware and software and features?

this is my first RD so i really dont know anything yet.. :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Interesting. You guys can detect Redflex well with the R7?
Are we talking about the same style of Redflex such as is used in Canada (Calgary?)
Truck parked on the side of the road, photo radar, takes a picture of your rear plate when you have driven past?
Or are these cameras taking pictures of front plates? IMO would make more sense the R7 could detect if the radar is shot towards you.
Our Redflexes are setup to tag you both ways.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
what r7 mount is this one? i like the idea of vertical mount with the buttons facing up for easy access
I was using a magnet mount made by VENA. I was planning to retail them in NZ for them. However, they confirmed that particular one has been discontinued. Amazon also now has none left either.

There is evidently a lot of demand for a good quality magnetic mount for mounting detector sideways. For the R7 especially, you need a larger rectangular plate with six magnets like the VENA one. I think I have found one or two other manufacturers that make a similar type. I have ordered another selection, which I will then evaluate, and source another bundle of the best of them. My intention is to continue to sell the DFR9s with a good mount as it makes a big difference against redflex.
Post automatically merged:

Hi all, new to radar’s and looking to purchase an R7. Question is, am i better to buy an r7 NZ or import from the US? Looking like a US import is likely much cheaper and then contact @Mithheru to purchase their firmware?
Sounds like it’s a much better option and would rather pay someone for dedicated/tested NZ firmware... especially sharing a city with them. Thanks!
I'm not going to push you one way or the other. @Zakk and I at some point will have a redflex van test of his official R7 NZ against my R7forNZ 127 (we're both in Wellington). Last week we discussed why his R7 perhaps seems more sensitive than mine, and we concluded any difference is likely because he has a custom installation with the R7 dedicated to K band only, and all other bands settings etc. turned off. Whereas I have mine mounted on the windscreen and running both K and Ka segments 4,5 and 6 like I think most people would likewise probably would do.

In terms of overall quietness on K, my new R7forNZ 127 firmware is definitely quieter than the official R7 NZ 125 firmware version.

Last edited:

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I now have some more magnetic mounts which are similar to the VENA ones. Like the VENA ones, I selected these ones as they also have six super strong magnets making them better suited to holding heavier detectors like the R7.

I don't have many of these though, and I'm trying to negotiate a price for larger quantities as well as for bulk orders for retail sales.

Attachments

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I now have some more magnetic mounts which are similar to the VENA ones. Like the VENA ones, I selected these ones as they also have six super strong magnets making them better suited to holding heavier detectors like the R7.

I don't have many of these though, and I'm trying to negotiate a price for larger quantities as well as for bulk orders for retail sales.
I would bee keen on buying one from you, we have a few redflex vans around Auckland, so this vertical mount would def help!......my R7 is being shipped from USA, fingers crossed...

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would bee keen on buying one from you, we have a few redflex vans around Auckland, so this vertical mount would def help!......my R7 is being shipped from USA, fingers crossed...
I have a few more on order which have just been shipped so I'll have a few spares. I'd be looking at NZ$45 + postage for the mount.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Did they ever level out the stealth properties of the R7 across releases? Last video I caught seemed like it all depended on what batch you got, and they all varied quite a bit. What's the go with that?

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did they ever level out the stealth properties of the R7 across releases? Last video I caught seemed like it all depended on what batch you got, and they all varied quite a bit. What's the go with that?
Not sure, mine's a fairly early one (early 3000's S/N, from BuyDig), and when installed in my car, is only detectable within about 2m with my Spectre III on max sensitivity with me carrying it around outside, so looks like they are pretty variable.

Zizi8862

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have a few more on order which have just been shipped so I'll have a few spares. I'd be looking at NZ$45 + postage for the mount.
Hi I'm interested in getting a r7 from the states as the prices are quite a bit cheaper than nz. How much would it cost to get your firmware and database for the NZ r7. I've used the valentine v1 for years and it just died so I know nothing about the uniden
I'm quite interested in buying a us version r7 and was wondering how much would it cost to get your firmware and database on to the unit. The Amazon prices seem a lot cheaper than the NZ retail prices for these units.

At0mic9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Im not sure if one exists already, but im thinking it might be a good idea to create a database of Redflex K band detection's, so that anyone can set up their R7 to scan whats local in the area, eg. so if i lived in Christchurch, i would know that local Redflex operate between 23.97Ghz to 24.40 and set up my K segs accordingly (thats if your running @Mithheru custom FW). If i were on a long road trip and need to expand the K scan then i could do so, knowing what freq were operating on my trip.

so far i have confirmed these reported sources, and would be keen to hear what other freq you come across and build the database up.

North Island:
Auckland:

Wellington:

South Island:
Christchurch:
Dunedin:

@winterbrew would there be any value in keeping a DB of Aus K band threats?

thoughts?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabby