Uniden R7 NZ

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I had a couple of interesting Redflex alerts on SH2 at Waihi last week.
260 metres heading towards the unit just before the Karangahake Gorge, only 69 metres on the one in the Gorge.
This was the V1 Gen1, so the 260 metres impressed me, not so much the other.
But Mittherus DB was spot on again.

DW44

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I waiting to receive my R7NZ from Cromwell. Can someone give me the best setting for NZ please? I have read most of this post but would like a concise list of settings. Also not sure which firmware will be installed. Is the latest worth installing.
Thanks

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I waiting to receive my R7NZ from Cromwell. Can someone give me the best setting for NZ please? I have read most of this post but would like a concise list of settings. Also not sure which firmware will be installed. Is the latest worth installing.
Thanks
I Would recommend sticking to firmware version 194 if you can. If it is the NZ version, then perhaps @Zakk can help you out. For NZ version, you will only need K band segment 1 on, for Ka Band segmentation, I would recommend having Ka5 and Ka6 on. All other filters off, X band off, MRCD/t off, ka pop off, k pop off, tsf off. Once you get it, and have any issues setting it up, post here and we can try help.

Also see this: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/96428/

nzFALCONnz

FORD MUSTANG GT #17
General User
Reaction score
Thanks
@Mithheru might be able to help with database red light and speed cameras and versions if you like. You will need to contact him. his database is the best you'll be able to get in New Zealand.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@DW44 I can update your gps database even if it is a Uniden NZ version. This will not impact your R7 NZ original firmware. If I'd known you were getting an R7 I earlier I would have suggested you wait until after you've seen the release of my new R7forNZ firmware (see my latest video on the main NZ thread).

Unfortunately unless people can persuade Uniden NZ to release their version of the R7 firmware, I don't think I am going to allow people with Uniden R7 NZ versions of the detector to convert to my firmware version. I'm happy to work alongside Uniden New Zealand, but I don't think they're very happy to work along side me. So hey, we now have two separate, independent dedicated NZ firmware versions for the very same Uniden R7 hardware! :D

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also not sure which firmware will be installed.
I'm guessing you'll get this one from Cromwell via BluLink ;

R7_130_NZA.jpg

All Unidens are downgrade-able, so no worries there.

DW44

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I appreciate the great info thanks. Still waiting. Maybe Monday.

DW44

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have it. Ver 125.124.112. DB 1.39. It is set up out of the box as follows: K band segment 1 on, Ka5 on. All other filters off, X band off, MRCD/t off, ka pop off, k pop off, tsf off. Need to try it now. Any suggested changes? Do I need to find a better database?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have it. Ver 125.124.112. DB 1.39. It is set up out of the box as follows: K band segment 1 on, Ka5 on. All other filters off, X band off, MRCD/t off, ka pop off, k pop off, tsf off. Need to try it now. Any suggested changes? Do I need to find a better database?
I would suggest Ka 6 as well, a lot of stalkers drift high. I personally don’t have 4 on, but definitely recommend 5 and 6 for Ka.

DW44

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Got it set up. Enabled Ka6. No Ka detection yet but K seems manageable in town. I see Uniden NZ offer update firmware 129.129.113. Anyone know if it's worth the upgrade? Changes?
Post automatically merged:

Disregard previous post. Uniden USA. Not NZ

Last edited:

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@DW44 I can update your gps database even if it is a Uniden NZ version. This will not impact your R7 NZ original firmware. If I'd known you were getting an R7 I earlier I would have suggested you wait until after you've seen the release of my new R7forNZ firmware (see my latest video on the main NZ thread).

Unfortunately unless people can persuade Uniden NZ to release their version of the R7 firmware, I don't think I am going to allow people with Uniden R7 NZ versions of the detector to convert to my firmware version. I'm happy to work alongside Uniden New Zealand, but I don't think they're very happy to work along side me. So hey, we now have two separate, independent dedicated NZ firmware versions for the very same Uniden R7 hardware! :D
From what I've read elsewhere on the forum (can't remember the exact threads so haven't provided links sorry) regarding the relationship between Uniden and Attowave, it sounds like both the manufacture and programming of Uniden detectors is actually done by Attowave, with their customer Uniden acting merely in a marketing and on-sale role. Uniden likely has a lot of say on the design and features etc. of the detectors, including software updates, but it sounds like they might not do the actual software development themselves.

If this is the case, it is likely that Uniden NZ could not participate in any collaborative project to improve the detector with you, even if they wanted to - not only due to lack of technical resources to do so, but potentially due to not legally having the right to alter (for commercial purposes) Attowave's product. I imagine that Attowave supplies Uniden (US and NZ etc.) with a "black box" software tool to build new GPS databases as a part of their commercial arrangement, but I doubt that Uniden is otherwise allowed to change anything on a more fundamental level; with periodic firmware updates issued by Attowave themselves, and only passed on by Uniden NZ...

I would further imagine that this would make Uniden NZ a little bitter about your work - as they would not be able to do anything themselves to match it, aside from politely asking Attowave to make changes. I would guess that Attowave generally have more pressing (and profitable) demands on their time than tweaking RD firmware for a tiny market such as NZ/AUS.. ;)

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You may be right, but I tend to think Uniden call the shots on specs.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You may be right, but I tend to think Uniden call the shots on specs.
Yes, absolutely, although I'm sure there is some compromise based on what Attowave would be willing to invest into R&D, development etc. which would also depend on how much Uniden is willing to pay. This may be why we see Uniden BSM filtering somewhat lagging behind hardware performance compared to some other brands due to it likely being quite time consuming on an ongoing basis (expensive) to develop - with this investment likely being less bang for buck (although still important) in terms of sales compared to outright detection range.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
From what I've read, it seems Unidens activity on issues seems to have been reduced when their R series guru left.
That's the way of corporates though

Zoya11

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah okay, no worries. How do you find the R7 around Perth? Is it your daily driver?
Hey guys have any of you tested the r7 in New South Wales. Keen to know it’s pwrformance pls

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Brought from Ebay for a R3

View attachment 123581
Do you have a link for that window mount

Hello everyone,recently purchased a R7 off my mate,now thing keeps going off,can anyone help out with settings,making sure its setup right,as its all very new to me,I'm in Christchurch,New Zealand,any help would be much appreciated,cheers

Last edited:

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link for that window mount

Hello everyone,recently purchased a R7 off my mate,now thing keeps going off,can anyone help out with settings,making sure its setup right,as its all very new to me,I'm in Christchurch,New Zealand,any help would be much appreciated,cheers
DO you know if it is a R7 NZ or an imported model from the US?

I would recommend
Mode - Highway

If USA - switch these off - if NZ model, speak to @Mithheru about getting an up to date database and switch these on.
GPS: On
Speed Camera: On
Redlight Cam: On
RLC Q-Ride: 60 km/h

Voice: On
Ka Freq Voice: Off/on - your choice
X Band: Off
K Band: On
Ka Band: On
Laser: On/off your choice
K POP: Off
MRCD: Off
Ka POP: Off
K Filter: On
Ka Filter: OFF
TSF: On
K Block: On
K WIDE - If you have a NZ model, chose K segment 1
Ka Segmentation: 4/5/6 ON, the rest OFF
Ka Priority
Mute Mem: X & K
All Threat: On

Auto Mute: On
Auto Mute Vol: 2
Dark Mode: Bright
Auto Dim Setting
Bright Level: Bright
Dim Level: Dim
Quiet Ride: 60 KM/H
LimitSpeed: Off

BAT Warning: Off
Bat Saver: On
Self Test: Off

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
DO you know if it is a R7 NZ or an imported model from the US?

I would recommend
Mode - Highway

If USA - switch these off - if NZ model, speak to @Mithheru about getting an up to date database and switch these on.
GPS: On
Speed Camera: On
Redlight Cam: On
RLC Q-Ride: 60 km/h

Voice: On
Ka Freq Voice: Off/on - your choice
X Band: Off
K Band: On
Ka Band: On
Laser: On/off your choice
K POP: Off
MRCD: Off
Ka POP: Off
K Filter: On
Ka Filter: OFF
TSF: On
K Block: On
K WIDE - If you have a NZ model, chose K segment 1
Ka Segmentation: 4/5/6 ON, the rest OFF
Ka Priority
Mute Mem: X & K
All Threat: On

Auto Mute: On
Auto Mute Vol: 2
Dark Mode: Bright
Auto Dim Setting
Bright Level: Bright
Dim Level: Dim
Quiet Ride: 60 KM/H
LimitSpeed: Off

BAT Warning: Off
Bat Saver: On
Self Test: Off
Its a NZ model,also looking for a decent window mount etc,as the one it came with is terrible,this R7 is definitely designed for left hand drive vehicles,I usually mount mind radar on the right side of my windscreen,but if I do that with the R7 it just doesnt point straight ahead,but then if i center it in the middle of the windscreen its very had to see the display,very annoying.....any suggestions?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a NZ model,also looking for a decent window mount etc,as the one it came with is terrible,this R7 is definitely designed for left hand drive vehicles,I usually mount mind radar on the right side of my windscreen,but if I do that with the R7 it just doesnt point straight ahead,but then if i center it in the middle of the windscreen its very had to see the display,very annoying.....any suggestions?
TBH, I really don't bother with looking at my R7. I mount mine high near the RVM and have the R7 Voice- Band/FREQ turned on. So it becomes a matter of listening out for it rather than looking at it. I'll post a video here shortly to show you how I mount mine.

NathanJ

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
TBH, I really don't bother with looking at my R7. I mount mine high near the RVM and have the R7 Voice- Band/FREQ turned on. So it becomes a matter of listening out for it rather than looking at it. I'll post a video here shortly to show you how I mount mine.
Okay,but it is nice to try center the windscreen to get full view when driving etc

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arclamp