Uniden R7 - Firmware Change-log and Outstanding Issues

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The biggest challenge when I first did some time ago was the drivers, if you install those properly, it wont work.

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just got my R7 in the mail. Downloaded the R7_v135.142.115_db210101.bin file from the OP of this thread. As i'm trying to install it using the Univen R Series SW Download Tool V1.28 i get this error. Anyone know a fix?

1615824638103.png

nascar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did you disconnect and reconnect the USB from the PC and from the R7? Also did you install the Uniden USB Driver? Additionally, try a different USB port.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just got my R7 in the mail. Downloaded the R7_v135.142.115_db210101.bin file from the OP of this thread. As i'm trying to install it using the Univen R Series SW Download Tool V1.28 i get this error. Anyone know a fix?

View attachment 174698
Try unplugging the detector and back in a few times, sometimes it take 3-4 tries.
If that doesn't work, close the updater, unplug R7 and try again.
Different combinations of plug in first or after opening updater can work.
Usually my one R7 goes first time, the other takes 3 tries of plug/unplug before it works through the upload.

I see you have the .bin file selected so I believe you Extracted the zip file first?

Zac

Retired Firefighter
General User
Reaction score

View attachment 174698
I did the same thing. It erased my whole R7. I loved my R7 but this was really disappointing. I returned mine to Best Buy I and I got the redline 360c. If the redline sucks i’ll return it and get a full refund and by the R7 again. I really wanted this new updated software but I could not get it to work.

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

View attachment 174698
Looking at your R7 current installed software on your new R7. It looks like you all ready have the new 135 version but you do not have 142-115 software. The 135 update is not listed on the Uniden web sight because it does not have the rest of the software needed in the R7. Go to the Uniden web sight download the last version listed for the R7 put this file on your desktop so it's easy to find. Install this on the R7. Unplug the detector from your computer and power it up let it sit for a bit then power it down. Now go back and try to install the new update. If the software tells you your up to date your good to go if it starts updating let it finish and it should be A-OK after that. Good luck & enjoy this detector it's the best bang for the buck high end detector on the market.

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Looking at your R7 current installed software on your new R7. It looks like you all ready have the new 135 version but you do not have 142-115 software. The 135 update is not listed on the Uniden web sight because it does not have the rest of the software needed in the R7. Go to the Uniden web sight download the last version listed for the R7 put this file on your desktop so it's easy to find. Install this on the R7. Unplug the detector from your computer and power it up let it sit for a bit then power it down. Now go back and try to install the new update. If the software tells you your up to date your good to go if it starts updating let it finish and it should be A-OK after that. Good luck & enjoy this detector it's the best bang for the buck high end detector on the market.
Try unplugging the detector and back in a few times, sometimes it take 3-4 tries.
If that doesn't work, close the updater, unplug R7 and try again.
Different combinations of plug in first or after opening updater can work.
Usually my one R7 goes first time, the other takes 3 tries of plug/unplug before it works through the upload.

I see you have the .bin file selected so I believe you Extracted the zip file first?

Did you disconnect and reconnect the USB from the PC and from the R7? Also did you install the Uniden USB Driver? Additionally, try a different USB port.

I did the same thing. It erased my whole R7. I loved my R7 but this was really disappointing. I returned mine to Best Buy I and I got the redline 360c. If the redline sucks i’ll return it and get a full refund and by the R7 again. I really wanted this new updated software but I could not get it to work.

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. Since this is my first time doing this, its all spaghetti to me.

1. After trying to do the above update to v135 (the file downloaded from RDForum), I got the error in my screenshot. I try to power the RD on by plugging it into the car, no signs of life, Power button doesn't do anything. Nothing on the screen.

2. I come back to the PC, change USB ports, unplug and re-plug a few times.

3. I downloaded R7_133.141.113_db200710_.bin from the Uniden website and try to use the Uniden R Series SW Tool V1.28 to install it and still get the same download error.

4. Is it weird that the SW tool doesn't read the entire "Current Version? There's a blank in the middle. Is my RD screwed?
1615827518040.png

Is there any button press combination that i can press to do a hard reset it or do some sort of CPR to get this thing working?

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. Since this is my first time doing this, its all spaghetti to me.

1. After trying to do the above update to v135 (the file downloaded from RDForum), I got the error in my screenshot. I try to power the RD on by plugging it into the car, no signs of life, Power button doesn't do anything. Nothing on the screen.

3. I downloaded R7_133.141.113_db200710_.bin from the Uniden website and try to use the Uniden R Series SW Tool V1.28 to install it and still get the same download error.

4. Is it weird that the SW tool doesn't read the entire "Current Version? There's a blank in the middle. Is my RD screwed?
View attachment 174706

Is there any button press combination that i can press to do a hard reset it or do some sort of CPR to get this thing working?
Try a different usb cord and check the recovery mode box when installing. If your computer can see the detector when it’s connected I don’t think it’s dead yet.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hello All,

View attachment 174706

Did you follow the step by step video tutorial I posted above?
Simple question, does your car need to be started to get 12v power to the plug?
I haven't seen a detector read the version like that yet, I think your 1/2 way through an update and need a full process to get done...

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Try a different usb cord and check the recovery mode box when installing. If your computer can see the detector when it’s connected I don’t think it’s dead yet.

Did you follow the step by step video tutorial I posted above?
Simple question, does your car need to be started to get 12v power to the plug?
I haven't seen a detector read the version like that yet, I think your 1/2 way through an update and need a full process to get done...
Ok I think one or all of you got it correct. It was either the usb port or i didn't let the device stay plugged into the usb long enough before trying to do anything with the SW tool. Not to point blame, but this is a problem when the detector shows no signs of life when plugged in via USB.

So i have downloaded the V133.141.131 Firmware from Uniden's website and installed it using the tool. It took a couple of minutes, but it worked. I went to the car, it powered on, and i went for a 5 minute drive. It detected some random K bands, but i'll work on the settings after this.

Since i'm new to Uniden, and Uniden customer support gave me such blanket bs (non tech support) answers like "just return it", or "just get a replacement," and "the V135 firmware on RDForums is beta and it will brick your device, you're obviously a noob.

The RD was working like new under V133 just now. Is it safe to go ahead and download (again) the V135 firmware above and try to get it installed on my device? I want the auto lock outs....

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok I think one or all of you got it correct. It was either the usb port or i didn't let the device stay plugged into the usb long enough before trying to do anything with the SW tool. Not to point blame, but this is a problem when the detector shows no signs of life when plugged in via USB.

So i have downloaded the V133.141.131 Firmware from Uniden's website and installed it using the tool. It took a couple of minutes, but it worked. I went to the car, it powered on, and i went for a 5 minute drive. It detected some random K bands, but i'll work on the settings after this.

Since i'm new to Uniden, and Uniden customer support gave me such blanket bs (non tech support) answers like "just return it", or "just get a replacement," and "the V135 firmware on RDForums is beta and it will brick your device, you're obviously a noob.

The RD was working like new under V133 just now. Is it safe to go ahead and download (again) the V135 firmware above and try to get it installed on my device? I want the auto lock outs....
If you already downloaded and extracted firmware 135, just start the updater and load 135 from where you saved it.
Remember to use recovery mode, and do a factory reset after you power it up in car to clear out any bugs.
Then do your settings and drive.

oversteer325

Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Glad you got it revived! I say go for 1.35.

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you already downloaded and extracted firmware 135, just start the updater and load 135 from where you saved it.
Remember to use recovery mode, and do a factory reset after you power it up in car to clear out any bugs.
Then do your settings and drive.

Glad you got it revived! I say go for 1.35.
Once again, i want to thank the RD Forums community. This is an invaluable resource like nothing else on earth. The manufacturer of the product itself wasn't even able to provide this kind of help. Thank everyone who look at and replied to my posts.

1. I've since used the V135.142.115 firmware for the R7 from the OP on this and flashed it. It went through smoothly.
2. I live in urban NJ and drive a lot in update NY and NYC. I followed Vortex's suggestions for the R7 for "General Use" here:
General Recommended Uniden R7 Settings
Realistically speaking, there are no one set of settings that are appropriate for every person in every area. If there was, there would be no need to have adjustable settings in the first place. 🙂 Nevertheless, here’s a set of generic recommended settings that you can use as a starting point, think about what is appropriate for you, and then adjust as you see fit. As you drive, you’ll naturally get a better sense of how you can further tweak these settings.

• Menu: Expert
  • Advanced
    • X Band: 100%
    • K Band: 50%
    • Ka Band: 100%
  • Rear Bal: 70%
  • GPS: On
  • Speed Camera: On
  • Speed C Range: 1000ft
  • Redlight Cam: On
  • RLC Q-Ride: 60 mph
  • Voice: On
  • Ka Freq Voice: Off
  • X Band: Off
  • K Band: On
  • Ka Band: On
  • Laser: On
  • K POP: Off
  • MRCD: Off (On in Alberta, Quebec, Chicago, NYC, & MD)
  • Ka POP: Off
  • K Filter: On
  • Ka Filter: Off
  • TSF: On
  • K Block 1: Weak
  • K Block 2: Weak
  • K Narrow
  • Ka Segmentation: 2/4/5/6/8 (Read what you need for your state.)
  • Ka/MRCD Priority
  • Mute Mem: X & K
  • Auto Mute Mem: On
  • All Threat: On
  • Color: Red
  • Arrow Color
    • X Band: Red
    • K Band: Red
    • MRCD: Red
    • Ka Band: Red
  • Band Color
    • X Band: Signal
    • K Band: Signal
    • MRCD: Signal
    • Ka Band: Signal
  • Time Display
  • Scan Icon: Off
  • Display: Speed
  • Alert Display: #1
  • Speed Unit: mph
  • X Band Tone: 1
  • K Band Tone: 2
  • MRCD Tone: 7
  • K Band Tone: 1
  • Ka Band Tone: 3
  • Ka Bogey Tone: 2
  • Laser Tone: 4
  • Auto Mute: On
  • Auto Mute Vol: 2
  • Rear K Mute: On
  • Dark Mode: Bright
  • Auto Dim Setting
    • Bright Level: Bright
    • Dim Level: Dim
  • Quiet Ride: 35 mph
  • Q-Ride MRCD: Off
  • Q-Ride Beep Vol: 1
  • LimitSpeed: Off
  • GMT: Set for your time zone
  • DST: On / Off as appropriate
  • BAT Warning: Off
  • Bat Saver: On
  • Self Test: Off
  • Memory Quota
    • Mute Mem: 1,750
    • User Mark: 250

Does anyone recommend any specific changes?

3. I went for a 10 min drive around my neighborhood and i counted no less than 6 of those stationary speed detectors that display your speed on the road. with v135, will the auto lockouts learn these as i continue to drive by them and mute them completely? How do i make it stop?

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Once again, i want to thank the RD Forums community. This is an invaluable resource like nothing else on earth. The manufacturer of the product itself wasn't even able to provide this kind of help. Thank everyone who look at and replied to my posts.

1. I've since used the V135.142.115 firmware for the R7 from the OP on this and flashed it. It went through smoothly.
2. I live in urban NJ and drive a lot in update NY and NYC. I followed Vortex's suggestions for the R7 for "General Use" here:

Does anyone recommend any specific changes?

3. I went for a 10 min drive around my neighborhood and i counted no less than 6 of those stationary speed detectors that display your speed on the road. with v135, will the auto lockouts learn these as i continue to drive by them and mute them completely? How do i make it stop?
Thanks for the praise for RDF! We all love to help if we can.

2. NJ uses X Band I believe? Turn that on and Auto Lockouts will get rid of stationary sources too.
3. Auto Mute Memory will work if you have Auto Mute Memory setting ON. X & K band sources will start locking out after at least 3 passes by, with no less than 24 hours between passes. It prevents accidentally locking out a police trap.
Also, if you go by a spot twice and that source is gone, it will auto unlock.

Manually you can lock out these things faster. Double press the MUTE button or the lighter plug button twice, as soon as you receive a signal. So those speed signs you know are there every day, double tap the button when you first start getting the signal.

Settings I use, RED for your NJ needs:
  • Highway most of the time now while doing lockouts, Advanced w/ K band at 40%, [email protected]% or City when in extreme K, X zones
  • Rear Bal: 80%
  • Speed C Range: Auto
  • Red light Cam: On
  • RLC Q-Ride: 55 mph
  • Ka Freq Voice: On
  • X Band: Off ON
  • MRCD: On Optional for Mazda CX-5 BSM, NYC has lots of these MRCT cameras
  • K Block 1 & 2: Weak
  • K Narrow
  • Ka Segmentation: 2/4/5/6/8
  • Ka/MRCD Priority
  • Mute Mem: X K
  • Color: Blue & Amber (White on motorbike)
  • Arrow Color
    • X Band: Green
    • K Band: Yellow
    • Ka Band: Blue
  • Band Color
    • X Band: Arrow
    • K Band: Arrow
    • MRCD: Arrow
    • Ka Band: Arrow
  • Time Display
  • Scan Icon: On
  • Display: Spd+ Comp
  • Speed Unit: kph
  • K Band Tone: 7
  • MRCD Tone: 10
  • Ka Band Tone: 8
  • Laser Tone: 9
  • Auto Mute Vol: 3
  • Rear K Mute: On or off, 135 seems okay on.
  • Dark Mode: Dimmer
  • Auto Dim Setting
    • Dim Level: Dimmer
  • Quiet Ride: 30 mph or whatever speed limit you face as normal city street limits
  • Q-Ride MRCD: On
  • Q-Ride Beep Vol: 1 or off
  • Limit Speed: Off
  • GMT: -8 Hour (East Coast -6???)
  • DST: On
  • Bat Saver: Off
  • Memory Quota
Hint, try to drive around a bit on highway mode to do lockouts, then go to advanced after it starts quieting down. Lockouts work better that way.

Last edited:

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks for the praise for RDF! We all love to help if we can.

2. NJ uses X Band I believe? Turn that on and Auto Lockouts will get rid of stationary sources too.
3. Auto Mute Memory will work if you have Auto Mute Memory setting ON. X & K band sources will start locking out after at least 3 passes by, with no less than 24 hours between passes. It prevents accidentally locking out a police trap.
Also, if you go by a spot twice and that source is gone, it will auto unlock.

Manually you can lock out these things faster. Double press the MUTE button or the lighter plug button twice, as soon as you receive a signal. So those speed signs you know are there every day, double tap the button when you first start getting the signal.

Settings I use, RED for your NJ needs:
  • Highway most of the time now while doing lockouts, Advanced w/ K band at 40%, [email protected]% or City when in extreme K, X zones
  • Rear Bal: 80%
  • Speed C Range: Auto
  • Red light Cam: On
  • RLC Q-Ride: 55 mph
  • Ka Freq Voice: On
  • X Band: Off ON
  • MRCD: On Optional for Mazda CX-5 BSM, NYC has lots of these MRCT cameras
  • K Block 1 & 2: Weak
  • K Narrow
  • Ka Segmentation: 2/4/5/6/8
  • Ka/MRCD Priority
  • Mute Mem: X K
  • Color: Blue & Amber (White on motorbike)
  • Arrow Color
    • X Band: Green
    • K Band: Yellow
    • Ka Band: Blue
  • Band Color
    • X Band: Arrow
    • K Band: Arrow
    • MRCD: Arrow
    • Ka Band: Arrow
  • Time Display
  • Scan Icon: On
  • Display: Spd+ Comp
  • Speed Unit: kph
  • K Band Tone: 7
  • MRCD Tone: 10
  • Ka Band Tone: 8
  • Laser Tone: 9
  • Auto Mute Vol: 3
  • Rear K Mute: On or off, 135 seems okay on.
  • Dark Mode: Dimmer
  • Auto Dim Setting
    • Dim Level: Dimmer
  • Quiet Ride: 30 mph or whatever speed limit you face as normal city street limits
  • Q-Ride MRCD: On
  • Q-Ride Beep Vol: 1 or off
  • Limit Speed: Off
  • GMT: -8 Hour (East Coast -6???)
  • DST: On
  • Bat Saver: Off
  • Memory Quota
Hint, try to drive around a bit on highway mode to do lockouts, then go to advanced after it starts quieting down. Lockouts work better that way.
Just to experience the cool new Auto Lockout feature, i'd like to see if the R7 will actually lock out these stationary speed signs. Yes, they're there every day. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that is what auto lockout is supposed to do, right? I'll drive by these 3+ times on highway mode and soon the R7 shouldn't beep to them anymore?

Also, thanks for the suggestions, i'll make the appropriate changes.

Is there a way to get the RD powered on at home so that i dont have to go to the car every time to update settings? (once again, the problem with the USB not actually powering on the device again)

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Just to experience the cool new Auto Lockout feature, i'd like to see if the R7 will actually lock out these stationary speed signs. Yes, they're there every day. Correct me if i'm wrong, but that is what auto lockout is supposed to do, right? I'll drive by these 3+ times on highway mode and soon the R7 shouldn't beep to them anymore?

Is there a way to get the RD powered on at home so that i dont have to go to the car every time to update settings? (once again, the problem with the USB not actually powering on the device again)
Yes, the Auto Mute Memory will lock out these signs, but not before the 3rd day if you go by them every day.

I bought an Amazon power adaptor 110v to 12v, then use your Uniden power cord.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P2XS9VP/

louisssss

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, the Auto Mute Memory will lock out these signs, but not before the 3rd day if you go by them every day.

I bought an Amazon power adaptor 110v to 12v, then use your Uniden power cord.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P2XS9VP/
Thx so much! Lets keep the conversation going after i rack up some miles with this new detector!!!

I'm technically not new to this forum, but all my old data and posts seem to have reset. I've been in the RD world since Radar Roy and 2007. Do you know if/how people can sell their RDs on here? I now have a barely used Uniden R3 that I can offload to anyone interested.

Bluelinex

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Go on Amazon and purchase a house to auto power converter plug. They are a few dollars and you will have a standard power socket and a USB power connector that will power any auto accessory.

wellfleetion

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have an especially annoying and stubborn speed sign that my R7 initially locked out and then magically unlocked itself a day later and now it just want lock out period. I refuse to do a manual lockout and it seems to be auto locking normally at other points so I'm not clear what's going on. I've gone by this speed sign multiple days for over a week now too!

oversteer325

Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have an especially annoying and stubborn speed sign that my R7 initially locked out and then magically unlocked itself a day later and now it just want lock out period. I refuse to do a manual lockout and it seems to be auto locking normally at other points so I'm not clear what's going on. I've gone by this speed sign ,,multiple days for over a week now too!
Speed signs can drift their frequency a lot. If it drifted outside of the +/- 10mhz lockout range it would have cleared the original lockout after two passes and started a new one. If it is drifting daily then you may never get it to lock out as no three passes are within the same range.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49