Uniden R7 - Firmware Change-log and Outstanding Issues

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just got my detector from Amazon. Shows firmware 133.141.113 but I thought the latest was 129.129.113?

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@001 ,New firmware is just around the corner in beta testing. You just got lucky that you have a version of it installed. If you want you can roll back to the official 1.29 version or you can try out the new version as it’s installed. There is a post on the forum with an explanation of some of the new features. Feel free to let us know what you think! We’d love to get some early feedback!

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@001 ,New firmware is just around the corner in beta testing. You just got lucky that you have a version of it installed. If you want you can roll back to the official 1.29 version or you can try out the new version as it’s installed. There is a post on the forum with an explanation of some of the new features. Feel free to let us know what you think! We’d love to get some early feedback!
Was a click away from downgrading before I noticed the current version was higher than the latest version from the uniden website.
Post automatically merged:

Just scrolled through the menu. Has a Basic and Advanced Menu mode. Advanced enables Auto Mute and Rear K Mute. Haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. No clue how it compares to previous versions as I'm new to the R7 having upgraded from a V1G1, DFR7, and XP.

Last edited:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Was a click away from downgrading before I noticed the current version was higher than the latest version from the uniden website.

Just scrolled through the menu. Has a Basic and Advanced Menu mode. Advanced enables Auto Mute and Rear K Mute. Haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. No clue how it compares to previous versions as I'm new to the R7 having upgraded from a V1G1, DFR7, and XP.
Here is the link to the other thread. The newest firmware we are all waiting on has automatic false lockouts. Do you see any menu items for that feature? It would be called Auto mute memory in the expert menu.

Fixxxer0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Is the dark mode working correctly on 1.33?

When I turn on the detector it stays in dark mode for a few seconds (Flashes between left middle and right with the rest of the display blank) and then it switches to scan mode or whatever setting is picked for display on the firmware.

I don't see the option for dark anymore. It says dark mode: dim dimmer or bright.

I'm assuming they changed something but I can't figure out how to get it back to where it always stays in dark mode unless a signal is picked up

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Cycle through the Dim button on the side?
Not while in the menu...

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

fail.

thanks haha
Video of 133 dark mode

Auto dimming settings only available if you enter menu while in Auto brightness mode.

Last edited:

Fixxxer0

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Video of 133 dark mode

Auto dimming settings only available if you enter menu while in Auto brightness mode.
What messed me up is the factory reset I did...

Haven't done that since new, but it does seem a little convoluted now.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden tried to simplify the menu by not having some options appear unless others are set to on. I agree that unfortunately it creates some confusion.

aim4squirrels

Currently edging... Coming soon!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden tried to simplify the menu by not having some options appear unless others are set to on. I agree that unfortunately it creates some confusion.
On the other hand, it does save some time not having to scroll thru 9 Ka segments if segmentation is turned off, on what feels like an already lengthy menu structure.

I love the customizable nature of the detector, so I live with the cumbersome menu.

I hope Uniden does consider phone integration for future units, if for no other reason then to benefit the programming aspect of the detector.

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I hope Uniden does consider phone integration for future units, if for no other reason then to benefit the programming aspect of the detector.
Any chance they could implement for existing R7s? I'm unclear if it's a HW or SW limitation.

MattB

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Any chance they could implement for existing R7s? I'm unclear if it's a HW or SW limitation.

I don’t think the R7s have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in them if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don’t think the R7s have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in them if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither do V1G1s but the latest ESP versions have an external dongle that allows BT connectivity. Could Uniden do something similar for the R7? If not, what's the limitation?

Signal

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Uniden released new firmware on 10/13/20. In the description it says "
  1. Firmware/Database/Voice is all updated with a single program. "
Does this mean I don't have to do a separate download for the database? Or are they just saying you use the same program but you still need to download the database? Uniden shows the database last updated 10/06/2020.

I guess they are no longer supporting mac?

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I dont own an R3 anymore, but I believe its one bin file for that. For Mac check out Vortex website I believe he shows how to do it.

Last edited:

flyingchipmunk

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
They don't package the mac update utility with the firmware anymore, you can download 118 that includes the mac update utility then just flash the newest bin with it

The database is still separate, it's just that it's the same app to flash both the firmware and the database. 10/06/2020 is the latest database.

Kievan Rus

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
General User
Reaction score
Uniden's update tool does not detect my R7. As per Uniden's instructions, I tried to manually install USB driver that would enable recognition of the R7 by my PC and Uniden's update tool, but it does not want to install, saying "there aren't any drivers for my machine".

Has anyone encountered this? I'm using Win 10 on the latest update

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Uniden's update tool does not detect my R7. As per Uniden's instructions, I tried to manually install USB driver that would enable recognition of the R7 by my PC and Uniden's update tool, but it does not want to install, saying "there aren't any drivers for my machine".

Has anyone encountered this? I'm using Win 10 on the latest update
I had that message pop up a week ago when I updated to the latest installer version.
Then it went away and everything was fine.
So I don't know the fix.

Just make sure you EXTRACT or Unzip all those folders you download from Uniden before starting.
I then save the extracted files to a document folder called Radar Detectors or R7 Firmware etc.
Then start the process with them.
Cheers.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49