Hiding a TX sensor on a Mk7 Golf R

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
VW didn't help out in terms of sensor placement - there's a giant VW logo that dominates the upper grill. The best option I've seen (thanks to @edconline and @notblake ) has been putting it just to one side of the logo, but because of how far out the logo sticks, you have to out the sensor WAY out in front. Photo below from @notblake :
81300.jpg

The space behind the VW logo is free and empty, so my thought was trying to replace the center logo and integrate the sensor into the logo or replace the logo with something else. I have quite extensive 3d printing resources (plastic and metal) and can call in some favors for some CNC work, so if I can model it, I can build it.

I was thinking a blacked out VW logo with the center cut out for the sensor would be the obvious choice, but messing with a logo everybody is familiar with might make it surprisingly obvious. A blacked out acrylic panel there (thermoformed to shape) is also an option, but not sure I love the "black hole" look.

Here's my car as it stands right now for reference

I won't face much DE but would rather be safe than sorry! I also know the best advice is "stealth the car not the install", but I worry about damage to the sensor from asshole passerby, ice, etc in such an exposed location.

Last edited:

edconline

PSL++
Advanced User
Reaction score
You’re lucky, because integrated with the logo is an option on your model year. With the 2018’s and up, the DAP radar sensor is behind the logo, so no bueno there!

If you blacked out the logo completely, and integrated the head tightly enough with a flush mount, I honestly don’t think anyone would take a second look.

Are you wanting to avoid sticking it far out on one side of the logo simply for aesthetics? Or do you live in a banned state?

I’m interested to see what you come up with!

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
While it could be a cool project hiding the TX head (eg behind a custom VW logo made out of Perspex), is it necessary?

Are you planning on hiding the RX heads as well?

AFAIK, jammers aren't illegal anywhere in New England, and if you use proper JTK technique LEOs shouldn't give you a second look.

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Just aesthetics, I don't need a fully stealthed install. I plan on stealthing any rear heads, I think the front RX heads will likely be too difficult without negatively affecting airflow to the intake, but they hide pretty well.

Updated initial post -

"also know the best advice is "stealth the car not the install", but I worry about damage to the sensor from asshole passerby, ice, etc in such an exposed location"

Also, yeah, vanity :D

Last edited:

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
The notches in the bumper and grill make a delete a bad idea.

Would you be able to make the logo out of piano black acrylic? Something shiny like the face of the head. Maybe make the logo more vertical by making the top thicker and bottom thinner this way you could hide the head in the logo without it sticking out.

EDIT: or make it out of ABS or PLA then paint it Gloss Black

Then place the head like such:

Last edited:

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
On the plus side, it looks like removing and customizing the emblem will be insanely easy (click for video):

You'd have to cut a slot in the backing plate for the TX head, but the other two pieces should be easy to modify or fabricate to look however you want. The TX head could either be made to sit flush with the emblem, or covered with Perspex 962 (do a search) to be completely hidden.

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The notches in the bumper and grill make a delete a bad idea.

Would you be able to make the logo out of piano black acrylic? Something shiny like the face of the head. Maybe make the logo more vertical by making the top thicker and bottom thinner this way you could hide the head in the logo without it sticking out.

Yeah, I wouldn't do a full delete. They sell grills without the logo but because of those notches you need fairly extensive bodywork to make it look finished. Not interested in that!

By delete, I meant more leave the circle but fill the middle with black IR transmissive acrylic. Maybe sandblast a VW logo in it (with a line in the middle missing for the sensor). I wouldn't want any curvature (like a 3d VW logo) formed into that sheet to reduce deflection.
Post automatically merged:
On the plus side, it looks like removing and customizing the emblem will be insanely easy (click for video):
View attachment 118187

You'd have to cut a slot in the backing plate for the TX head, but the other two pieces should be easy to modify or fabricate to look however you want. The TX head could either be made to sit flush with the emblem, or covered with Perspex 962 (do a search) to be completely hidden.

Yep, it's super easy to replace (minus some broken clips - and that logo is $60 to replace! Ouch!).

Here's a gloss black one for reference, I think this with a cutout in the middle of the logo wouldn't look too terrible:
View attachment ba00416bbd5ce16417e5db8d6d2f0ed6 (1).webp

Attachments

• 195c7bc0153bf8ae412b6aaf48468cec.jpg
    195c7bc0153bf8ae412b6aaf48468cec.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't do a full delete. They sell grills without the logo but because of those notches you need fairly extensive bodywork to make it look finished. Not interested in that!

By delete, I meant more leave the circle but fill the middle with black IR transmissive acrylic. Maybe sandblast a VW logo in it (with a line in the middle missing for the sensor). I wouldn't want any curvature (like a 3d VW logo) formed into that sheet to reduce deflection.
You could try that. I was thinking more along the lines of making the logo itself more angled then having the head stick through the logo (to blend it in) vs hiding it behind perspex completely (for deflection purposes).

ScvttH

Studied LIDAR, but it follows me on the street
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was thinking the same with adding ALP with TX to my mk7 possibly. A custom badge or cut one would probably be easier but you'd need to mangle the back of the grille a bit and the locking mechanism is behind it, so theres some space, but not a ton. Here's a picture of my gti with the grille and bumper removed in case you wanted a little more of a visualization. Hope this helps.

I'd say it would be possible to add a TX sensor where the parking sensor normally resides, if its not too low but I have no idea about any interference or whats behind it.

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Did anyone figure how to deal with the TX Head in a MK7.5? The radar unit now sits behind the emblem and vehicle has no front plate. Trying to get ideas on how to deal with this.

Jdem

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No sensors behind my emblem, but thought I would share anyways :)

notched out and behind perspex. Performs great.

Attachments

• A5A3DF85-10CD-40B1-B7F0-8319AA601646.jpeg
    A5A3DF85-10CD-40B1-B7F0-8319AA601646.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • E0E0EF6F-7B09-443E-9434-44D86DE8F099.jpeg
    E0E0EF6F-7B09-443E-9434-44D86DE8F099.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 33

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
No sensors behind my emblem, but thought I would share anyways :)

notched out and behind perspex. Performs great.
Beautiful job!

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Very Stealth

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That looks great! I ended up going for the middle of the logo, real hard to see but not as stealth as that. How'd you get the perspex to match the curve of the logo?
MVIMG_20191117_092918.jpg

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pebble