R7 - low battery warning?

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the car or what, but the R7 with the battery warning turned on, I always get a low battery warning in my BMW. I tested the battery and it's fine. When moved the R7 to my diesel pickup or my Camry, I don't get this warning... I checked the BMW with my R3 and I don't get the warning..

Makes me think the R7 is power hungry and is very sensitive to voltage, especially when it's 1st turned on...

Anyone else seeing a low battery warning with the R7?

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 2014 BMW M5 and I get this too. It's definitely the car and not the detector.

mbsl500

Completing TPS reports
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a 2014 BMW M5 and I get this too. It's definitely the car and not the detector.

I've had it happen in my M3.
Doesn't happen in my truck.
German voltage is much more sophisticated than other voltages.

Last edited:

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This happened all the time in my VW with the R3. I ended up turning this feature off as I know the battery is fine. When I initially set up my R7, I kept it off as well.

MazMas

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Same for me. 2019 Maserati Ghibli. Only happens a minute or so after the car stops when in stop start mode ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rut

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Doesn't happen in my Elantra or tundra

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Japanese voltage isn't as good as German or Italian voltage.

LOL.. Bwahhahhaha

You might want to move the Italian in with the Japanese... I've got a Ram, which is owned by Fiat... I also think the head unit in my Ram was the same as the one in the Ferrari that year... That Uconnect BS.

mbsl500

Completing TPS reports
Advanced User
Reaction score
LOL.. Bwahhahhaha

You might want to move the Italian in with the Japanese... I've got a Ram, which is owned by Fiat... I also think the head unit in my Ram was the same as the one in the Ferrari that year... That Uconnect BS.

I believe that Fiat imports all it's voltage from Germany.

Last edited:

MazMas

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
LOL.. Bwahhahhaha

You are correct. My Maserati has MTC+ which is just a skinned version of uconnect. I almost didn't buy the car because of that. The tech is not what you expect on that level of auto.

In the end I did anyway because I fell in love at first sound...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rossm812

Constantly Learning...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the car or what, but the R7 with the battery warning turned on, I always get a low battery warning in my BMW. I tested the battery and it's fine. When moved the R7 to my diesel pickup or my Camry, I don't get this warning... I checked the BMW with my R3 and I don't get the warning..

Makes me think the R7 is power hungry and is very sensitive to voltage, especially when it's 1st turned on...

Anyone else seeing a low battery warning with the R7?

I got this with the R3 and now the R7 in my Mercedes. I think it has to do with the shutdown process of the electronics and where the power port circuit is located etc.... Most of these cars have a second battery just to drive electronics.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I spent some time reading the BMW forums back when I used this feature on my R3. From my reading, I understand that BMW intentionally does a soft-off voltage drop upon shutting the car off. It's a controlled soft fade on the voltage so that user electronics that want to go through a power down sequence can properly power down rather than just hit an immediate total voltage cut off. A consumer device that is able to detect the voltage drop can then realize it needs to power down properly (if needed), do its shut down procedure, and shut off properly.

As far as upon starting the car, that I don't know or don't understand.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jromjr