R7 display dim?

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
During the day, I'm having a heck of a time looking at the display on the R7, this is even compared to my burned-in faded R3. I can still read my R3, but the R7... It's like the dim setting on the R3, had to see in the light. Anyone else seeing the same issue?

drtoddw

Always driving at a safe and prudent speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mounted up high?

bamapepper

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
What color?

ivan911fl

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
if it mounted like in a blendmount it will dim real easy i had the same problem with the 360c

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Dont like the default red?

buzzard767

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use White and run in the dark mode. No problems with visibility on a sunny day.

bamapepper

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Dont like the default red?
I don't mind red but I have 8 colors to pick from and from my previous post on color visibility I would rather use blue or green.

drtoddw

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I thought he said it was a brightness issue? If it's color vibrancy, then ignore this post.
If it truly is a brightness issue, I'm guessing brightness sensor is covered by the visor. If so, and you have auto brightness enabled, you'll have an abnormally dim screen.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think that Uniden has tried to keep the brightness down some to help prevent burn-in to the OLED screen. IMO, the easiest color to see on a bright day is white.

drtoddw

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just noticed that I'd set mine on bright and when putting it up on the visor, it dimmed. Since the other R series hadn't had the feature implemented in this way, I hadn't given it a second thought when going through the settings.
Edit to add: Also didn't keep the R7 long enough to test various mounting places, either :)

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just noticed that I'd set mine on bright and when putting it up on the visor, it dimmed. Since the other R series hadn't had the feature implemented in this way, I hadn't given it a second thought when going through the settings.
Edit to add: Also didn't keep the R7 long enough to test various mounting places, either :)

I do think there have been reports of users using the autodimming having that issue with a high mount where the roof and/or tint, etc block some of the light getting to the sensor.

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
On my way home, I tried white and blue. White is definitely easier to see than blue or the red I was using. But if I use white, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of Uniden keeping the screen dimmer than the R1/3 to prevent burn in? I'd much rather use Red or Blue at at brighter setting than White.

drtoddw

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Nope.. I use the suction cup mount. It's usually about an inch or 2 above the wiper.

Then the sensor isn't it, rather
brightness reduced to prevent screen burn in? (as @Brainstorm69 said)

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
On my way home, I tried white and blue. White is definitely easier to see than blue or the red I was using. But if I use white, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of Uniden keeping the screen dimmer than the R1/3 to prevent burn in? I'd much rather use Red or Blue at at brighter setting than White.

I expect that it probably does.

JmsWms

Old enough to know better
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I would say yes. Unless you opt to run it in "dark" mode, and then come out of dark mode into bright white when you get an alert. Someone asked if that doesn't defeat the whole purpose of the arrows, but I don't see how that could be true. When it alerts, the screen will light up with all the information, including the directional arrows. The arrrows wouldn't have been telling you anything before the alert anyway. All you'd be missing out on is the 'time' and whatever you have the left side of the screen set to. 'Speed', 'compass', 'altimeter', or 'voltage'. They would also show when you get an alert.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdelkins40