@#@&$! HF Tire plug

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So yesterday, I picked up a nail, and pulled in to HF to pick up a tire repair kit. I didn't do the repair there. I just figured I'd do it when I got home, if the tire held enough air. Which it did.

Today, I go to plug the tire.. 1st I notie the reamer was a bit thinner than ones I've used in the past. Then when I went to put the plug it, the orange plug didn't want to go in. It's too stiff and the insertion tool broke.

I'm like WTH? I'v plugged many of tires in the past and never have I had something like this happen.. I guess I'm off to Walmart to get another plug kit. This time, I'm gonna go with the black plugs.

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's a lot of tire places that will patch a tire for free, and the patches they use essentially have a plug that goes through the puncture, as well as a patch on the inside of the tire. Even if it was $10 or more, it'd be worth it to me to know that's not going to be an issue later down the road. I keep a tire pump in my car to be able to limp to the nearest tire shop as my car does not have a spare.

LinuxD

Prepare for warp speed.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In my running back and forth to the steel mills I have picked up a few nails / whatever and have plugging a tire down to a science. Instead of that tiny tube of rubber cement I have a quart can of it I picked up somewhere and after the plug is threaded on the needle the whole thing gets dunked in rubber cement and then plunged into the tire. I picked up a nice tire inflator on amazon that will pump up my truck tire in about 4 minutes from flat and keep my plug kit inside the handy carry case that came with the pump.

Have never had a plug leak yet.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

auskip07

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ive used the HF kit to repair 3 car tires. No problem.

meismyname

SysOp
SysOp
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Don't know what world you live in
Earth, I think. I could be wrong, though. I know that Les Schwab and Discount Tire do it for free. Only time I've needed it was on a Sunday, and Costco was my only option. If I remember right, it was somewhere around $10-12.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The only I caution when using tire plugs is. u don’t generally know how the inside of the tire looks like because the repair is done from the outside.

Its good practice topop the tires off and have a look at the inside of the sidewall to see it’s not damaged from riding on low air pressure. Since the is tire off. use a patch/plug combo

A blowout of a tire isn’t caused excessive air pressure. It’s from low air pressure causing the sidewall to wear out and then blow out

Deacon

TXCTG
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
That’s not the only caution when using plugs for highway vehicles. ATVs? Sure! But I really would rather not plug a road tire except in case of emergency with no working spare to get me to a tire place to patch it properly or replace it altogether. I’d really rather not be cruising in the triple digits on a Harbor Freight plug.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
From the article I posted earlier:

However, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the severity of the damage caused by the puncture, the destructive stresses encountered if the tire was driven while underinflated/flat or the quality of the repair itself, they cannot confirm if the tire has retained its full integrity or high-speed capability. Therefore, most tire manufacturers have established policies that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire driven no faster than 85 mph.

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Slightly off topic. Don’t ever use that “fix a flat” in a can crap

I bought a set of summer oem rims with tires about 4 years ago from my friend. I didn’t drive my vehicle until this winter. In early April I decided to swap the rims onto my car but before that I always check the balance. Each time I spun 2 wheels, it would give me a messed up reading so I knew there was junk inside the tire This is what I found in 2/4 tires
252ED2FB-551E-42FE-9B96-DE85156BC68D.jpeg
154B9EE2-A355-4EA4-BE75-94969760593C.jpeg

TheSkyIsFalling

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There's a lot of tire places that will patch a tire for free, and the patches they use essentially have a plug that goes through the puncture, as well as a patch on the inside of the tire. Even if it was $10 or more, it'd be worth it to me to know that's not going to be an issue later down the road. I keep a tire pump in my car to be able to limp to the nearest tire shop as my car does not have a spare.

Most places are moving away from fixing punctures for free unless you bought new tires from them and have some type of warranty coverage

The proper procedure

Find and verify leak.
Remove tire from rim
Prep and repair puncture
Re mount tire onto rim
Verify repair
Balance rim/tire

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Most places are moving away from fixing punctures for free unless you bought new tires from them and have some type of warranty coverage

The proper procedure

Find and verify leak.
Remove tire from rim
Prep and repair puncture
Re mount tire onto rim
Verify repair
Balance rim/tire

I dunno but tirerack, Belle, and discount are still doing it by me.

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In nyc theres a flat fix every two blocks, go to any auto shop and they should be able to plug it for $10, dont waste your time and energy on this (going to buy kits etc etc)

auskip07

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
In nyc theres a flat fix every two blocks, go to any auto shop and they should be able to plug it for $10, dont waste your time and energy on this (going to buy kits etc etc)
In rural alabama you usually have your own garage with air compressor, air tools, jack and stands . The closest tire shop is 15-30 miles away. you cant beat being capable of fixing your own problem no matter how insignificant the cost

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy