R3 going back to Amazon (broke) - replace with another, or get an R7?

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. On your recommendation I got an R3 recently and it worked very well for the first couple weeks. It saved my bacon numerous times as I was driving a new ZO6 Corvette back home in Texas from buying it in NJ. It was a fun ride and I got to know the R3 well on the long 1800 mile drive.

Anyhow, the speaker stopped working. Well, its intermittant, sometimes it'll work, sometimes its quiet. Its still detecting stuff just that the speaker cuts in/out. So I talked to Amazon and am sending it back for a refund.

The question - should I replace it with another R3 (I like it), or is it worth the extra $300 to get an R7? I like that the R7 looks behind. I haven't read through all the R7 threads here because I figured I'd be happy with the R3, but now that I have a new option ahead, looking for those with both to tell me whether its worth the upgrade.

I drive quite a bit, laser is used here quite a bit, but so is KA. The R3 was a killer on KA. I turned off X-band. K-band was mostly annoying and rarely a cop.

Thanks for any guidance...

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on your budget and what you can afford. If you face a lot of LIDAR, I would very much recommend laser protection from ALP or TMG. Expensive, but it's the only thing that can protect you from laser. So, if you can take the extra $300 and put it towards that instead of buying an R7, I'd lean that way.

That being said, the R7 is really nice and it's the new flagship for Uniden. It has the range of the R3 and a rear horn so you gain the awareness of knowing if the signal is to the front or to the rear. Personally, the R7 is completely worth it to me......but I already have LIDAR protection.

If money is no object, get and R7 AND laser protection!

LuCroix

Drive it like you stole it!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I drive quite a bit, laser is used here quite a bit, but so is KA. The R3 was a killer on KA. I turned off X-band. KA was mostly annoying and rarely a cop.

Laser wise, don't count on any detector. It's pretty much a feature for the sake of being a selling point to those who don't know any better.

The part about Ka being annoying and rarely a cop confused me. Did you mean to reference X band?

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Depends on your budget and what you can afford. If you face a lot of LIDAR, I would very much recommend laser protection from ALP or TMG. Expensive, but it's the only thing that can protect you from laser. So, if you can take the extra $300 and put it towards that instead of buying an R7, I'd lean that way.

That being said, the R7 is really nice and it's the new flagship for Uniden. It has the range of the R3 and a rear horn so you gain the awareness of knowing if the signal is to the front or to the rear. Personally, the R7 is completely worth it to me......but I already have LIDAR protection.

If money is no object, get them both!
Thank you. I'm in Texas, and its verboten to have laser jammers here I believe, and I'm not too excited about doing an extensive installation in the front grill of the car. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. I like the portability of the R3, I can easily move it from one car to another. I use Waze always as well, so I have that extra layer of protection/warning. Numerous times though the R3 saw a cop when Waze didn't have him yet. I'm moving toward the R7 I think - is the rear horn as sensitive as the front horn on KA?

Most of the radar I've come across in the last month of use has been KA, with a few spots of laser.

Budget is not an issue, I just prefer to keep it relatively simple and don't think I want to go down the laser jammer route...
Post automatically merged:
Laser wise, don't count on any detector. It's pretty much a feature for the sake of being a selling point to those who don't know any better.

The part about Ka being annoying and rarely a cop confused me. Did you mean to reference X band?
Sorry, yes, I meant K-band. I'll edit and fix.

Laser-wise, I think I understand, by the time its detected you're already toast.

LuCroix

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm in Texas, and its verboten to have laser jammers here I believe, and I'm not too excited about doing an extensive installation in the front grill of the car. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though. I like the portability of the R3, I can easily move it from one car to another. I use Waze always as well, so I have that extra layer of protection/warning. Numerous times though the R3 saw a cop when Waze didn't have him yet. I'm moving toward the R7 I think - is the rear horn as sensitive as the front horn on KA?

Most of the radar I've come across in the last month of use has been KA, with a few spots of laser.

Budget is not an issue, I just prefer to keep it relatively simple and don't think I want to go down the laser jammer route...
Post automatically merged:

Sorry, yes, I meant K-band. I'll edit and fix.

Laser-wise, I think I understand, by the time its detected you're already toast.
Exactly on the laser end of things. On a detector it's just a ticket notifier.

K band is a nuisance all over. I figured you meant that or X band. You can fine tune the R series settings to reduce K band falsing.

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Exactly on the laser end of things. On a detector it's just a ticket notifier.

K band is a nuisance all over. I figured you meant that or X band. You can fine tune the R series settings to reduce K band falsing.
Yep, ok, looks like the R7 is the one. Anything else in that class that I should consider? I think Uniden is king of KA-band detection, yes?

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Speeding is also verboten in Texas ;) The fine for one plus insurance hikes is probably more expensive than the fine for the other. Just sayin'! Also, some jammers can be used in parking sensor only mode.

The R7's rear horn is pretty close to as sensitive as the front. I just got a 2-1/4 mile rear detection on 35.5 today as a matter of fact. Check out some of the recent tests and videos on the forum.

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Speeding is also verboten in Texas ;) The fine for one plus insurance hikes is probably more expensive than the fine for the other. Just sayin'! Also, some jammers can be used in parking sensor only mode.

The R7's rear horn is pretty close to as sensitive as the front. I just got a 2-1/4 mile rear detection on 35.5 today as a matter of fact. Check out some of the recent tests and videos on the forum.
Thanks, true enough - and maybe I'll start thinking about that (laser). I think for now I'll try an R7 - unless there's another out there that I should consider?

LuCroix

Advanced User
Reaction score
Yep, ok, looks like the R7 is the one. Anything else in that class that I should consider? I think Uniden is king of KA-band detection, yes?
Yes, Uniden is currently the king of Ka.

If you want arrows, R7 is the way to go. If you don't need/want the arrows then R3 is it.

As for laser protection, you're going to want ALP in your state.

OBeerWANKenobi

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure, you could consider waiting a bit to see what happens once the V1 is back in stock at Valentine. You could also consider a detector like the Pro M if you have a lot of BSM falsing issues. If you want raw sensitivity though, the R series is where it's at.

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
for a ZO6? its a no-brainer - r7.

you will love the arrows...

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Wowza, that was fast. You don't mess around. You're welcome! :)
I got used to having the R3 in the car - now hard to not have something - really like the situational awareness. Looking forward to the arrows ;)

LuCroix

Advanced User
Reaction score
I got used to having the R3 in the car - now hard to not have something - really like the situational awareness. Looking forward to the arrows ;)
Be sure to check out all of the R7 threads for tweaks and what not. Lots of great info to be had here.

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
is the rear horn as sensitive as the front horn on KA?
I can't speak for others but the rear horn on my R7 definitely seems MORE sensitive than the front. But I don't know yet since I've only had it for two day.

Tonight, I drove back and forth past the local PoPo station because some one must have left their 34.7 Ka running in their squad car. No matter which direction I was headed, the rear, not only had a longer latch time, but the signal showed up stronger. I only ran back and forth 3 times each way.. I didn't want them thinking, what the heck is that guy doing driving back and forth in front of out station.. LOL

UnidenSupport

Manufacturer
Beginner User
Manufacturer
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. On your recommendation I got an R3 recently and it worked very well for the first couple weeks. It saved my bacon numerous times as I was driving a new ZO6 Corvette back home in Texas from buying it in NJ. It was a fun ride and I got to know the R3 well on the long 1800 mile drive.

Anyhow, the speaker stopped working. Well, its intermittant, sometimes it'll work, sometimes its quiet. Its still detecting stuff just that the speaker cuts in/out. So I talked to Amazon and am sending it back for a refund.

The question - should I replace it with another R3 (I like it), or is it worth the extra $300 to get an R7? I like that the R7 looks behind. I haven't read through all the R7 threads here because I figured I'd be happy with the R3, but now that I have a new option ahead, looking for those with both to tell me whether its worth the upgrade.

I drive quite a bit, laser is used here quite a bit, but so is KA. The R3 was a killer on KA. I turned off X-band. K-band was mostly annoying and rarely a cop.

Keep in mind our one year warranty, and the ability to get repairs outside of it for $86.95 (with return shipping included)

N6GQ

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Keep in mind our one year warranty, and the ability to get repairs outside of it for $86.95 (with return shipping included)
True, but it was essentially brand new, and Amazon refunded my money for it...

dmallen2010

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I can't speak for others but the rear horn on my R7 definitely seems MORE sensitive than the front. But I don't know yet since I've only had it for two day.

Tonight, I drove back and forth past the local PoPo station because some one must have left their 34.7 Ka running in their squad car. No matter which direction I was headed, the rear, not only had a longer latch time, but the signal showed up stronger. I only ran back and forth 3 times each way.. I didn't want them thinking, what the heck is that guy doing driving back and forth in front of out station.. LOL
Do you know which direction the radar source was facing, verus the road you were driving by it on? Could be the angle of the source causing you to see that. Just trying to get a better picture of the situation.

Also, what firmware and settings are you running on the detector? Highway, Advanced, City? I feel that the sensitivity difference on the rear horn vs. front horn in certain modes is more pronounced, but haven't tested that theory yet.

Maybe load the FW 122.123.111 with the recovery mode checked? If not the current FW.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abadd