How to Update the Uniden R7 Firmware

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys Im having the same issue - I just picked up a R7 trying to update FW to 129.129.113 (running Catalina on Mac) and using Uniden tool V1.2 - my iMac doesnt even recognize the R7 -all drivers installed properly. I noticed on the Uniden website that there is a download manager V1.28 but not available for Mac - am i out of luck to update my FW until Uniden puts this out or am i doing something wrong - been trying for 3 hours now (dont ask)

Guys Im having the same issue - I just picked up a R7 trying to update FW to 129.129.113 (running Catalina on Mac) and using Uniden tool V1.2 - my iMac doesnt even recognize the R7 -all drivers installed properly. I noticed on the Uniden website that there is a download manager V1.28 but not available for Mac - am i out of luck to update my FW until Uniden puts this out or am i doing something wrong - been trying for 3 hours now (dont ask)

If you know the drivers were installed properly and the R7 is still not being recognized, the only other thing you can try that I know of is another data cable. I’m not sure why some members are having issues updating with a Mac. Not putting blame on you or the other members, but all I did step by step was:

-Install drivers
-Install update software v1.2
-Plug in R7 & open update software and make sure the R7 is recognized
-“Open” correct .bin file and click “Start Download”

This was done on a late 2013 MBP running latest version of Catalina and I’ve had zero issues.

Another option is to install Windows on your Mac via Bootcamp if you can’t get it working on the Mac side.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

If you scroll down and use the updater for 1.24, can you use that to update to 1.29?

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is it me, but I can't find the R7 tool for the Mac on the Uniden site anymore. Pulled?

Edit: Found it! Buried under the v124

Last edited:

goodtimes40

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just finished putting together a video walkthrough of how to update the R7's firmware. Hopefully it helps people with the update process. I've also included a few tips on how to solve common issues people may encounter.

Download the latest firmware update here:

Now I know sometimes people have trouble updating so in case they do, I'm also going to link to this thread in the YouTube video so people can come here and use this thread as a troubleshooting area, read on how others have solved various issues, and so forth.

If you guys have any tip and tricks for people or solutions to issues you've found, please share them as well. :) Thanks!
Does a new r7 come with the micro USB cord? Or do I need to purchase

Dzyner

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@goodtimes40 I know this is an old post, but to answer your question yes, it does come with a Micro USB Cable.

Also, the issues some are noting here regarding failure to update Firmware using the Uniden provided tool (application) are real! I'm experiencing it right now on both my Mac AND me Windows computer. Uniden needs to address this!

Dave3006

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
under support/firmware using these drivers on 2019 iMac 10.15.5 and Macbook Pro all running Catalina

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 06.57.38.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 06.57.38.png
    811.4 KB · Views: 28

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
Lol updates? On the r7? It's like a bigfoot sighting

stelvioooo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Was excited to update my R7 but my PC won't recognize it.
I installed the drivers.
I installed Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28
I plugged in the R7 into my car but powered it down. Also tried without power at all.
Connected the R7 to my laptop
Nothing else is plugged into any USB ports.

The Uniden R Series SW Download Tool can't read the R7. It's not showing up at all..

This is the website where I just downloaded everything:

Last edited:

aim4squirrels

Coming soon.....
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Is your USB cord a data cord, or a micro USB charging only cord?

Might also try a reboot of computer after the driver installation.

Also, plug cord into detector, then into computer, then open the firmware program. I noticed tonight the program tries to look for the detector immediately upon launch.

Last edited:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Was excited to update my R7 but my PC won't recognize it.
I installed the drivers.
I installed Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28
I plugged in the R7 into my car but powered it down. Also tried without power at all.
Connected the R7 to my laptop
Nothing else is plugged into any USB ports.

The Uniden R Series SW Download Tool can't read the R7. It's not showing up at all..

This is the website where I just downloaded everything:
It’s probably the USB cable causing your issue. It doesn’t need to be connected to power while updating. The screen will stay dark during the update.

wirelessandy

It's a very exciting time
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I keep a SPECIFIC micro-USB cable around just for updating the R7 (and other things that require updating) and of course, I could not find it today. Tried another cable and it did not work.

Found my "special" cable, and presto! Done.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I keep a SPECIFIC micro-USB cable around just for updating the R7
I've made the mistake of losing mine before. Now I keep the cable for the R7 in the travel pouch that it came with, that being stored inside the retail box it came in. This prevents me from losing track of it when I am wanting it the most :)

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've made the mistake of losing mine before. Now I keep the cable for the R7 in the travel pouch that it came with, that being stored inside the retail box it came in. This prevents me from losing track of it when I am wanting it the most :)
Same here. Everything lives in the original box in my closet. It helps to keep everything handy when needed.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had to run the update at least 4 times. It kept saying "failed" and "reconnect cable". Just letting people know not to get discouraged and to keep at it. It seems after you get past the initial part and into copying the sound files you should be good. The updating is a little hokey but the end result is the important part LOL.

stelvioooo

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Yeah, lesson learned; oddly enough, it was the micro-usb that came with my led keyboard/mouse pad that worked.
Once it connected I had no issues; I don't quite understand why people complain about the update process because it was a breeze!

...now where's the auto-lockout update? I want to update it again!

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Vortex, did you mean to leave Ka-Filter: On as a setting on the generic guide on your web site? I have to be honest and admit I don't really understand exactly what this does but I've always left it off in the past. Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 12

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Vortex, did you mean to leave Ka-Filter: On as a setting on the generic guide on your web site? I have to be honest and admit I don't really understand exactly what this does but I've always left it off in the past. Thanks. :)

Ah whoops! Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll change it to off shortly. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pflaugh