My 1st Week With The V1....Umm...

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
However to say that it’s got the range of a Redline-O, or the R1/R3 is a bit of a stretch.
True, but I don’t think that’s what’s being suggest here (for forward range). Only that for forward facing radar that’s a great alert, and the R3 wouldn’t have produced any more of a save there. And the RLo would be useless because that was K ;)

So based on the video, and the position of the deputy, do most of you feel that was decent? That's the impression I'm getting.
I certainly think so.

Yes, I'm not saying it's a full blast, It's a sniff, then as i pass the 1st light in the video, it ramps up
The R3 definitely has some incredible sensitivity, and an odd reflection here or there can cause it to blip at outrageous ranges. For this very specific scenario, it makes it a little harder since you have a lockout to contend with as well.

IPA

Gimme Shelter
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the best parts about JBV1 is the ability to map the radar. JB has improved the detector huge amounts, and I'm glad your trial includes this excellent tool.

BaileyAB

Whats PSL? Autobahn bro, A.U.T.O.B.A.H.N.!!!!!
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is for those saying that there is no way I could get that sniff.

Second video, those 4-5 police cars dont prove anything. Those were there long time before you arrived at the scene. I doubt one of those were blasting ka since once you turned on that road, your ka alert vanished.
First video, I think I found one cop car in the video (turned to left hand side on one of interesections ) but again no proof this cop car was blasting ka band.

I dont think you produced valid videos. Sorry.
Post automatically merged:
So based on the video, and the position of the deputy, do most of you feel that was decent? That's the impression I'm getting.
Absolutely. V1 came out strong on this one.

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Second video, those 4-5 police cars dont prove anything. Those were there long time before you arrived at the scene. I doubt one of those were blasting ka since once you turned on that road, your ka alert vanished.
First video, I think I found one cop car in the video (turned to left hand side on one of interesections ) but again no proof this cop car was blasting ka band.

I dont think you produced valid videos. Sorry.

Absolutely. V1 came out strong on this one.
For the record....I drove up and down that stretch 3 times, and even on the side road. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just telling you what I know and saw. Believe it or not, take it or leave it.
Here are some screen shots from todays alert log. My I hadn't changed the time on my dash cam yet.

Not sure why the 1st hits started out as being locked out. Any ideas on that anyone?

Attachments

Last edited:

Tallyho

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the record....I drove up and down that stretch 3 times, and even on the side road. I'm not trying to convince you, I'm just telling you what I know and saw. Believe it or not, take it or leave it.
Both of those videos were of 34.7 detections which is the easiest to sniff out and one of the strongest signals that provides moon-sniffs. If there is one frequency that will provide them, that's it.

What you are saying is completely reasonable, it just is in no way comparable to an off-axis K band detection.

Last edited:

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
K Band is quite good on the V1 even compared to R3. Not sure about how wide R3 covers in comparison.
Is K-Mute enabled? That will cut down your response time, but it's generally worth it.

Dongle hanging? No Dongle hanging on my V1 installs. Don't blame Valentine for a sloppy install, they have tons of flexibility there.

Rocky Road

Intermediate User
Reaction score
K Band is quite good on the V1 even compared to R3. Not sure about how wide R3 covers in comparison.
Is K-Mute enabled? That will cut down your response time, but it's generally worth it.

Dongle hanging? No Dongle hanging on my V1 installs. Don't blame Valentine for a sloppy install, they have tons of flexibility there.
Didn't hardwire it yet, hence this post. Not sure if it's staying or not. That's why i said minor issue.
I knew this was going to be a touchy post, but I didn't expect to get the 3rd degree cross examination of my own personal experience. Just posted what I saw based against my other detectors.

Last edited:

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
We're passionate about our V1's....lol. @Rocky Road, I don't think anyone is trying to attack you or question your observations. More just trying to offer an alternative explanation. Enjoy the next few weeks with your V1, it may (or may not) be the ideal RD for you. Nothing wrong with that as we all have different wants/needs/expectation for our RD's. The best part is you still have a few weeks to decide.

Got Jeep

Strange days have found us
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
" I didn't expect to get the 3rd degree cross examination of my own personal experience. "

- Trust me they are aren't personal attacks, people are just trying to get more info to fully analyze that encounter. That's what we do here.
Post a few more when you get them so we can help determine what's going on.
Test it a while longer and if you decide it's not for you, return it. No harm no foul.

Rocky Road

Intermediate User
Reaction score
" I didn't expect to get the 3rd degree cross examination of my own personal experience. "

- Trust me they are aren't personal attacks, people are just trying to get more info to fully analyze that encounter. That's what we do here.
Post a few more when you get them so we can help determine what's going on.
Test it a while longer and if you decide it's not for you, return it. No harm no foul.
That's fair. I'm going to give it more time, and to be truly honest, I wasn't that big on my R3 when I 1st got it. It took some time.

aust3333

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Both of those videos were of 34.7 detections which is the easiest to sniff out and one of the strongest signals that provides moon-sniffs. If there is one frequency that will provide them, that's it.

What you are saying is completely reasonable, it just is in no way comparable to an off-axis K band detection.
Ummm...I disagree a bit. I think 33.8 is the easiest to sniff out but 34.7 is just used more across the U.S.. Both my R1 and V1 have produced some incredible detections over the years but I just wish V1 would provide some kind of an update even if it's just adding a few more db's.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a good detection. But I think that those who called it a monster detection (I'm looking at you @BaileyAB) haven't spent much (if any) time with an R series.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The rear horn is more sensitive to off axis. It is designed to be that way so it can be worked out in software when there is an off axis detection that both front and rear horns have a hit it will yield the side arrows.

codesplice

Professional amateur
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wasn't that big on my R3 when I 1st got it. It took some time.
Bingo. Learning not only how to use a new detector but how to interpret what it's telling you is a big deal. It takes time to get comfortable with it and be able to intuitively understand what the detector is reporting.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I can agree on range not being amazing...

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It was a good detection. But I think that those who called it a monster detection (I'm looking at you @BaileyAB) haven't spent much (if any) time with an R series.
I had to wait until I could watch this on a big monitor. I'd say it was a great detection if that had been 35.5. On K it's a good detection.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, I failed to put that in post. They were on the right side, black ford explorer, but if you noticed after I passed, the rear horn was picking up stronger.
Of course it did, it was getting a stronger signal. I can get 1 km+ from a K band speed sign from front and rear.
I'd check your set up and give it more time.
There s no way any detector would pick it up on ramp if its facing away. There s no way.
Reflection from cars passing the source? I've seen that. Range is limited though, but still alerts before I get to the cop.
Post those code brown vids so we can see what your encounters were like

This is the worst encounter that I had in a decade

That would still save your arse if you were awake. I'm also betting it was his front antenna.
As for off-axis, I can get an alert at 400 metres from an intersection with the cop 400 metres down the intersecting road. I don't want more than that, it's pointless and the cop is no threat,
I would like a detector that can see through heavy roadside bush and trees, but none can do that properly.
So I just settle for it alerting me before the cop sees me.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Discord Server

Latest threads