The EU May Require All New Cars To Have Intelligent Speed Limiters

acrspeed

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Last month the European Parliament Internal Market Committee and Consumer Protection met to vote on a new raft of safety systems that would become mandatory on new cars in the EU by 2020. One of those systems is called ISA or Intelligent Speed Assistance.

ISA uses data from your car’s GPS and/or a speed sign-recognition video camera to detect the speed limit on the stretch of road that you’re on. Nothing new here: sat nav systems have been flashing up speed limits on their screens for years. The difference with ISA is that when it sees that you’re going, say, from a 40mph down to a 30mph limit it will automatically reduce engine power so that the car will not do more than 30mph.

The committee in Brussels has given ISA the thumbs up and is looking to put the legislation into permanent ink before the European Parliament elections in May.

Speeding in the EU could become physically impossible if this new law is passed | DriveTribe

Tallyho

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You will comply!

Mushin

Band Summary by State in Signature
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Sounds like Hell !!

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Luckily initial implementation will be overridable.

Also, European speed limits on back roads tend to be MUCH higher than in the US. I had lots of fun on 100kph roads in Ireland barely exceeding PSL. A ton of 40kph corners in that 100 zone.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Luckily initial implementation will be overridable.

Also, European speed limits on back roads tend to be MUCH higher than in the US. I had lots of fun on 100kph roads in Ireland barely exceeding PSL. A ton of 40kph corners in that 100 zone.
100kph is ~60mph...That doesn't sound all that fast.

gonefirefighting

KJ7CGY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Surrounded by police in a hail of gunfire
These genres of laws have already spawned a rather large contingent of companies and products that defeat certain vehicle functions with ease and fairly inexpensive without dealer detection. My 2019 Jeep Rubicon already has an aftermarket ECM controller, throttle controller and programmable tuner that can defeat every safety or governing function on the vehicle and they were all available within a month of the model delivery to dealers. I bet as we speak EU companies are researching the purposed changes to start R&D for future vehicles.

Mild

Apex Hunter
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious objections to this law, this also seems incredibly dangerous. What if you need to outrun something or really gun it for a moment to ensure your safety? Avalanche chasing you? Sorry, can only go 40. One-eyed axe murderer on a motorcycle? Nope, enjoy your new split skull.

Tb12

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

These were super narrow windy B roads with hedges on either side. The kind of road that'd be marked 30-35mph in the states. Not to mention the ever present risk of sheep on the road around a blind corner...

Suffice to say my wife kept telling me to slow down, was great being able to say "but I'm going PSL!" :D

JohnnyE

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious objections to this law, this also seems incredibly dangerous. What if you need to outrun something or really gun it for a moment to ensure your safety? Avalanche chasing you? Sorry, can only go 40. One-eyed axe murderer on a motorcycle? Nope, enjoy your new split skull.
That's the fundamental question: why do these programmed systems presume to know what it is that I need to do? Boeing is grappling with this on the 737 Max 8.

I drove a 2019 C class M-B last year as a loaner car while my car was in the shop. I opened the driver's door while moving slowly in order to accurately spot the vehicle along a curb. The damn parking/emergency brake automatically applied! That made it more difficult to accomplish my parking task. I complained to the service manager, who reported to me that this "feature" could not be disabled.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

Looks like it's going to happen. But the systems are supposed to be able to be overridden by the driver. As long as it doesn't default to always on, but defaults to the last setting, then whatever, nothing changes.

DespoticDanks

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If only they could combine something like this with self driving / autopilot technology to automatically move left lane slugs over in to the right lane.

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
It’s not fast around Talladega, but it’s fast through open public back roads in Ireland that are twisty and barley wider than the car and where you can’t see around the next bend over the blind crest.

I drove a 2019 C class M-B last year as a loaner car while my car was in the shop. I opened the driver's door while moving slowly in order to accurately spot the vehicle along a curb. The damn parking/emergency brake automatically applied! That made it more difficult to accomplish my parking task. I complained to the service manager, who reported to me that this "feature" could not be disabled.
My 2014 A5 does that. It can actually be kind of handy when you know it’s coming. Any time you open the door with the car still in gear, it’ll apply the brake. Just hit the button to release it if you want to keep rolling with the door open.

Mushin

Band Summary by State in Signature
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
But the systems are supposed to be able to be overridden by the driver.
Yeah, the mechanism is that you have to put your balls in a vise. The faster you go, the more it squeezes.

JohnnyE

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It’s not fast around Talladega, but it’s fast through open public back roads in Ireland that are twisty and barley wider than the car and where you can’t see around the next bend over the blind crest.

My 2014 A5 does that. It can actually be kind of handy when you know it’s coming. Any time you open the door with the car still in gear, it’ll apply the brake. Just hit the button to release it if you want to keep rolling with the door open.
Hit the button?

Where is this button of which you speak??:

The sales person told me the auto brake could not be defeated. Could she have been wrong?

Deacon

TXCTG
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The electronic parking brake set/release button. In my A5 it’s like a large version of the window switch, placed on the center console next to the gear shifter. You pull it up (like raising the window) to set it. Press it down (like rolling down the window) to release it. Once it’s set itself automatically, press to release.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joes761