Any detectors have power on their USB plug?

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm asking the question because I'm thinking... and it might only be possible if they went to USB C ... that if they did have power, one would only need to power the RD then drive a dashcam off the RD's usb port.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Not power out, but one does take power in via USB; The Cobra 9200BT receives power via USB. It’s not ideal because connecting the cord requires your full two handed attention, where as other RJ11, RJ12 and DC plugs do not.

commonc3nts

Get out of my way
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
It is better that it is 12v powered and not 5v over usb.
If it was USB powered then it will be annoying like most dashcams as they are 5v usb powered. Being 12v means you can easily tap a wire, like in your powered rearview mirror, without trying to hide a power converter.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
This was discussed for far too long last fall. :)

crabu2

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm not speaking of powering the detector with 5V usb. I was thinking more in line with leaving it as is, but on detectors with a USB port, why can't the manufacture allow it to power out. That way, if you hardwire the detector, you can power a dashcam off the detectors usb port.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not speaking of powering the detector with 5V usb. I was thinking more in line with leaving it as is, but on detectors with a USB port, why can't the manufacture allow it to power out. That way, if you hard-wire the detector, you can power a dashcam off the detectors usb port.
Ahhhhh, I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in! That wouldn't be a bad idea actually. It would also be easy for that RD manufacturer to then offer a dashcam that hooks up AND can be used separately as well.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McSleepy