Virginia still use detector detectors?

Jabrone

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Do the police in Virginia still use the radar detector detectors?
If so is there a list of WHO in Va uses them?

asleeper

Advanced User
Reaction score
Do the police in Virginia still use the radar detector detectors?
If so is there a list of WHO in Va uses them?
Yes they are used in VA. State police are the biggest users of RDD's and with some local PD's using them in border areas with MD/WV/NC/TN.

pgsurface

PSL+10...ish
Beginner User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wythe County Sheriff's Department
Virginia State Police
These are the only two that I personally can confirm use them...

But yes... the Radar Detector Detectors are very much alive and still in operation!

ALSO: Do not ignore the "Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft" signs. They still do that, too... I once heard of a guy who installed a TCAS module in his car to detect those LOL.

I just follow the speed limit in VA and turn the afterburners on after hitting any adjacent state lines.

Cheers
(and if driving in Virginia -- Good Luck and God Bless!)

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Wythe County Sheriff's Department
Virginia State Police
These are the only two that I personally can confirm use them...

But yes... the Radar Detector Detectors are very much alive and still in operation!

ALSO: Do not ignore the "Speed Limit Enforced by Aircraft" signs. They still do that, too... I once heard of a guy who installed a TCAS module in his car to detect those LOL.

I just follow the speed limit in VA and turn the afterburners on after hitting any adjacent state lines.

Cheers
(and if driving in Virginia -- Good Luck and God Bless!)

Just how would a TCAS system work in a car? First there are power issues since neither Air Transport (115VAC/400Hz) nor General Aviation TCAS run off 12 VDC. Second a TCAS unit requires a Tail Number (Car’s don’t have them). When a TCAS unit is plugged into its rack, the unit gets the planes tail number off the hardwired tail number buss IE any AT TCAS unit can be plugged into any plane and still work as a unique TCAS. This tail number is used to identify the aircraft in the airspace plus low tail number is the control aircraft in any avoidance scenario. Third a TCAS system also requires a Mode S Transponder and an Altimeter. Fourth, the TCAS and Transponder both require special mounted Mode S antennas. Fifth a TCAS unit does NOT specifically identify other aircraft, it only issues commands when collision avoidance action must be taken. Sixth one needs a WX Radar display to see other aircraft in the area as that is where TCAS data is display (or the small GA Altimeter display) but again it would not help as it is just general display of area traffic with no identification or altitude information (just general location). Seventh, the Altimeter nor the TCAS is going to work because cars don’t have landing gear either so no “wheels up” signal on the buss either activated by the gear strut switch. And on and on and on, so since there is no useable information, why bother? Lastly it is illegal to introduce false aircraft into any airspace and again TCAS is not passive it is active IE it only receives after it transmits which for a non-aircraft is illegal. TCAS does not have a receiver only mode as it’s whole purpose is to actively prevent collusions and to do that it’s must transmit and communicate over the Mode S link.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

STS-134

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
^ Helpful link ^.

erickonphoenix

Left Lane Hooligan
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

pgsurface

PSL+10...ish
Beginner User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize there was a difference between PCAS and TCAS.. interesting. I knew somewhere out there someone used something to detect aircraft as a countermeasure, but it's really been a long time since I've seen it.

As far as VA and airplanes is concerned -- yes, they have indeed stopped using traditional aircraft to check speed..
-but-
I have a relative in Bluefield that received a ticket about 6 months ago in Ohio via drone, and from what I've been told, VA is not far behind on jumping onto this bandwagon. That was the only reason I mentioned anything about the signs.

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
That is great information. VSP funding has been cut for years now. I worked on a case in conjuction with VSP in re bank fraud. I tried to call and leave a message with their forensics lab. Well, needless to say I was informed due to budget cuts they discontinued the use of voice mail. So, yeah, it'll be a minute before they use aircraft for speed enforcement.

pgsurface

PSL+10...ish
Beginner User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, on SR-32 heading for Cincinnati.

It wasn't very expensive, but still shocking.

If this kind of thing catches on, we're all in trouble.
Post automatically merged:
That is great information. VSP funding has been cut for years now. I worked on a case in conjuction with VSP in re bank fraud. I tried to call and leave a message with their forensics lab. Well, needless to say I was informed due to budget cuts they discontinued the use of voice mail. So, yeah, it'll be a minute before they use aircraft for speed enforcement.

You would think with all the money I've given them over the last decade they'd be rolling in it!

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
"received a ticket about 6 months ago in Ohio via drone "

- Come on now ! Seriously ?

Well, not in VA for the time being....

"One possibility that has been discussed: Could drones be used to make the aerial operation cheaper?
While Virginia changed its law in 2015 to allow law enforcement to use drones, the Federal Aviation Administration still requires a waiver to use them to monitor traffic conditions, according to the FAA’s website.

But VSP has no plans to use drones, according to Geller.

“Drones would be impossible,” she said. “State police policy on aerial speed enforcement requires the certified VASCAR trooper to be in the aircraft and maintain — from overhead — constant visual contact with the speed vehicle. The trooper maintains that visual in order to make certain the trooper on the ground stops and cites the correct violator.”

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ah, I didn't realize there was a difference between PCAS and TCAS.. interesting. I knew somewhere out there someone used something to detect aircraft as a countermeasure, but it's really been a long time since I've seen it.

As far as VA and airplanes is concerned -- yes, they have indeed stopped using traditional aircraft to check speed..
-but-
I have a relative in Bluefield that received a ticket about 6 months ago in Ohio via drone, and from what I've been told, VA is not far behind on jumping onto this bandwagon. That was the only reason I mentioned anything about the signs.

We just want to stop as much misinformation as possible. Someone will be on here looking to travel through Va and will do a search and think that they use aircraft/drones when in fact, they don't.

As for issuing tickets based on drones in Ohio. They just started a 3 year project last year to test it with Ohio State University’s College of Engineering. I would bet dollars to donuts that your friend did not get a ticket via drone.

Ohio Wants to Use Camera Drones to Monitor Highway Traffic | Digital Trends

We aren't trying to beat you up or anyone. But, we need the most accurate information here. "My friend got X." doesn't cut it without some information to back it up.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

135,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Accurate information is THE most important part of countermeasures!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i90don90