I'm getting an R3! (Thanks @chakeubeam!)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ha! I'm originally from Tauranga, which is basically the North Island version of Nelson (well until the recent invasion of Jaffugees), and I've found it funny coming back with my big-smoke driving tricks, and wearing the wrath of the good Taurangian burghers who are unused to the concepts of letting in people turning right out of driveways, must wait until there are no cars in sight before entering a roundabout, and that seem to think that their car is 6 metres wide by 15 metres long lol...
That's funny, Tauranga is where we're moving to this year. But I've done a bit of driving there since buying the house and they aren't as bad as Nelsonians. Nelsonians don't just turn one blind eye, the buggers are blind in both.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice, I should've done that and made my own considering we have all the gear at work but I decided I was lazy and just bought one off trademe for $30 haha.
Hey now, nothing wrong with a wagon :D The more I think about it my wagon sucks for gas and I should've kept my cheap Golf oh well. No one would suspect a radar in a Toyota Wish anyway, super sleuth

What mirror mount did you order? I find the factory r3 mount too flimsy and it keeps rattling on my rear view.

Lol, I kinda like a challenge, and have an idea I'd like to try out (as well as being cheap, I think it will cost me about $10 all up lol). And it turns out I have a friend with a network cable crimp too, so that's a win as well!

My ol Toyota Wish is actually quite a nice one by my humble standards lol, I imported it from Japan myself, so saved some money and got exactly what I wanted...I love the colour blue! Plus it had the options I wanted.. And for a car with so much usable space, it's actually amazing on gas consumption, and handles alright. (I bought the slightly "sporty" version). Lol, true, I think there are quite a few very legitimate reasons to have a radar detector besides being a complete speed demon.. from just being interested in what's going on around you, to the odd safe but temporary speed limit breaking during overtaking. I actually hate unnecessary braking too, and wish I could let the car roll down hill at 115 kmph, without stressing out lol (the hill on the South Western motorway by Hillsborough Road going south toward Mangere springs to mind..

Oh true, that's good information, and helps me justify the extra purchase in my mind lol. I ordered one of these:

They look pretty sturdy and have some really good feedback :)

The R3 should serve you well.
Thanks! It sounds like it :D

That's funny, Tauranga is where we're moving to this year. But I've done a bit of driving there since buying the house and they aren't as bad as Nelsonians. Nelsonians don't just turn one blind eye, the buggers are blind in both.
Ha true, where are you moving to?? I'm super curious! I actually grew up about 20 km north of the city between Te Puna and Omokoroa, right on the harbour, which was awesome :)
That's hilarious about Nelson drivers, I only spent a week there for work one time, and quite liked the place, but I am very un-surprised about their driving habits lol.

Last edited:

shadow69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
ive run mrcd on my r3 past the redflex fixed cameras and no alert, only alerts to k band and then its marginal so i have loaded the nz db and turn off k band and use gps warnings...works great.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Lol, I kinda like a challenge, and have an idea I'd like to try out (as well as being cheap, I think it will cost me about $10 all up lol). And it turns out I have a friend with a network cable crimp too, so that's a win as well!

My ol Toyota Wish is actually quite a nice one by my humble standards lol, I imported it from Japan myself, so saved some money and got exactly what I wanted...I love the colour blue! Plus it had the options I wanted.. And for a car with so much usable space, it's actually amazing on gas consumption, and handles alright. (I bought the slightly "sporty" version). Lol, true, I think there are quite a few very legitimate reasons to have a radar detector besides being a complete speed demon.. from just being interested in what's going on around you, to the odd safe but temporary speed limit breaking during overtaking. I actually hate unnecessary braking too, and wish I could let the car roll down hill at 115 kmph, without stressing out lol (the hill on the South Western motorway by Hillsborough Road going south toward Mangere springs to mind..

Oh true, that's good information, and helps me justify the extra purchase in my mind lol. I ordered one of these:

Thanks! It sounds like it :D

Ha true, where are you moving to?? I'm super curious! I actually grew up about 20 km north of the city between Te Puna and Omokoroa, right on the harbour, which was awesome :)
That's hilarious about Nelson drivers, I only spent a week there for work one time, and quite liked the place, but I am very un-surprised about their driving habits lol.
The Lakes. Close to the highways out of town, a bikers dream.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
ive run mrcd on my r3 past the redflex fixed cameras and no alert, only alerts to k band and then its marginal so i have loaded the nz db and turn off k band and use gps warnings...works great.
Oh cool, good to know thanks. Just a quick FYI which might be handy for others too... I'm not 100% sure, but from my recent research, believe that we don't have MRCD or MRCD here in NZ. MR stands for MultaRadar, which is a manufacturer/brand which manufactures frequency modulated radar systems, while the CD/CT are models/systems which they sell (CT being the more recent and advanced version). From this excellent thread Latest Speed Enforcement Equipment used in NZ (30/01/2019) , it doesn't look like we have any MultaRadar equipment in use in NZ, so no MRCD/MRCT. I think what makes Redflex tricky (from what I've read on here, and Vortex's awesome YouTube vids) is its low power and horizontal polarisation, which is compounded by the angle in which is pointed relative to the road. Well I'm hoping k-band isn't too bad, but I'll probably do the same as you if it's a bit too diabolical :)

The Lakes. Close to the highways out of town, a bikers dream.
Oh cool, I know some people there, they seem very happy with their decision :) It is pretty awesome in terms of transport links!

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You are going to love your R3, here is some footage I got yesterday.
Wow, that is crazy!!! Thanks for the clip! I'm not sure I'll be getting many like that up in the choppy North Island type terrain lol, Hauraki Plains aside (actually I frequently wish for a detector through there though). It's going to be really interesting,and actually, half the reason I'm getting one again is just the general interest factor :)

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Oh nice thats not too pricey at all.

Haven't been in a Wish before but a guy at work has a Honda Airwave with a bodykit on it (The typical Japanese totally out there type kit) but not gonna lie it looks pretty damn sweet.
My wagon's pretty big in the boot but has the same floor pan of a R33 Skyline sedan which isn't the best.. and me being tall I have to have the seat almost all the way back making it suck for people behind me lol.
I work in Onehunga and on the way home south I constantly see people braking for no reason, esp if a cop is on the side of the road and they aren't even speeding but still feel the need to brake.. drives me nuts.

I'm hoping my R3 will come in handy on the way down to Wellington on Friday for Eminem.. i'm gonna have to be super careful to not draw attention to myself as if I get pulled over i'm F**k'd.

Mirror mount looks sweet, might look at getting one though then it would become more visible which i'm not too keen on.

KiwiClaire

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Oh nice thats not too pricey at all.

Haven't been in a Wish before but a guy at work has a Honda Airwave with a bodykit on it (The typical Japanese totally out there type kit) but not gonna lie it looks pretty damn sweet.
My wagon's pretty big in the boot but has the same floor pan of a R33 Skyline sedan which isn't the best.. and me being tall I have to have the seat almost all the way back making it suck for people behind me lol.
I work in Onehunga and on the way home south I constantly see people braking for no reason, esp if a cop is on the side of the road and they aren't even speeding but still feel the need to brake.. drives me nuts.

I'm hoping my R3 will come in handy on the way down to Wellington on Friday for Eminem.. i'm gonna have to be super careful to not draw attention to myself as if I get pulled over i'm F**k'd.

Mirror mount looks sweet, might look at getting one though then it would become more visible which i'm not too keen on.
Oh true, do you have a Stagea? 260RS I assume ;) You must be really tall (I'm still assuming you're referring to a Stagea), I thought they were quite a large wagon!
Lol, mine is pretty sedate, it just doesn't look terrible like the ones without the kit do... Plus it's pretty and blue! What more can ya want lol.

Yes. I think there are some very out of calibration speedometers out there or something lol (well they really actually are), but yeah.. I wish people would think about it before braking on the motorway, so many pointless traffic jams coz of that.. I'm in Kingsland, so not too far away! :)

Hey good luck! I'm sure your R3 will be of great assistance during your adventure, I hope the concert is great too! :D

About the mirror mount, it actually arrived today (only took 6 days to get here!), and I'm really impressed. Really well built and sturdy, it's better than what I was expecting. I know what you mean about visibility, I don't think I'll leave it up when parked, but I'll see how stealth I can get it. I'll take some pictures once I have everything set up :)

Last edited:

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Oh true, do you have a Stagea? 260RS I assume ;) You must be really tall (I'm still assuming you're referring to a Stagea), I though they were quite a large wagon!
Lol, mine is pretty sedate, it just doesn't looks terrible like the ones without the kit do... Plus it's pretty and blue! What more can ya want lol.

Yes. I think there are some very out of calibration speedometers out there or something lol (well they really actually are), but yeah.. I wish people would think about before braking on the motorway, so many pointless traffic jams coz of that.. I'm in Kingsland, so not too far away! :)

He good luck! I'm sure your R3 will be of great assistance during your adventure, I hope the concert is great too! :D

About the mirror mount, it actually arrived today (only took 6 days to get here!), and I'm really impressed. Really well built and sturdy, it's better than what I was expecting. I know what you mean about visibility, I don't think I'll leave it up when parked, but I'll see how stealth I can get it. I'll take some pictures once I have everything set up :)
Nah I wish it was a 260! Mines a RS-V, 25DET RWD. Manual converted too :D I'm tall enough to have the seat almost the whole way back haha, they're certainly large in the boot area.. can sleep comfortably in them with the rear seats folded flat. Looking at the images on google the newer style Wish look pretty sweet, even some old ones with the right kit :D

Happens everywhere with the people braking for no reason :( I had someone braking going uphill on a straight road once coming back from Ngatea with no one in front of them.. overtook before I saw what they were like on the corners lol. I'm wondering if I should turn on laser just for the fun of it even though i'm sure ill get a few false alerts along the way.

6 days is fast for most ebay items, my experience is usually 2 weeks+... one time even 6 months. Would definitely be keen to see some photos of what it looks like. Recently i've been getting pretty bad at removing it from the windshield so I need to crack onto that.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You are going to love your R3, here is some footage I got yesterday.
@dudeinnz a bit off topic... Do you have front & rear dashcam or just the front? I'm thinking of getting something soon, and I'm trying to work out how much I "need" a 2ch channel setup.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@dudeinnz a bit off topic... Do you have front & rear dashcam or just the front? I'm thinking of getting something soon, and I'm trying to work out how much I "need" a 2ch channel setup.
Yeah in my main driver I have a 2ch setup. Put it this way, once you get the front one, you will wish you had one on the rear as well. Luckily I haven't had to "use" either for any insurance claims, but I would definitely recommend a 2ch if you can afford the extra dollars. Also, I know a guy in Chch who can do really cheap (professional) installs.

PS, in that video, is an old model blackvue I carry around when driving a rental.

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah in my main driver I have a 2ch setup. Put it this way, once you get the front one, you will wish you had one on the rear as well. Luckily I haven't had to "use" either for any insurance claims, but I would definitely recommend a 2ch if you can afford the extra dollars. Also, I know a guy in Chch who can do really cheap (professional) installs.

PS, in that video, is an old model blackvue I carry around when driving a rental.
I'm thinking ill definitely want to get a front and rear cam.. too many sketch drivers out there
I'd presume you can get some that have video outputs too? would be cool to have them running to my headunit ;) already have my reverse cam wired to ignition so I can switch to it while i'm driving, haven't used it really at all though, thought it would be more cooler than it is lmao.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that, sort of confirms my suspicions. Probably be looking at a Blackvue DR900S-2ch soon. I have a good installer to go to but considering my occupation it's a little embarrassing that I outsource the installation! But alas I'm not well equipped for working on cars...

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for that, sort of confirms my suspicions. Probably be looking at a Blackvue DR900S-2ch soon. I have a good installer to go to but considering my occupation it's a little embarrassing that I outsource the installation! But alas I'm not well equipped for working on cars...
I’m an apprentice sparky and sometimes I just get elsewhere to install things in my car even though I know it like the back of my hand but sometimes I just feel it’s not worth my time lol

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m an apprentice sparky and sometimes I just get elsewhere to install things in my car even though I know it like the back of my hand but sometimes I just feel it’s not worth my time lol
I hear ya. When I upgraded the head unit in my car I started out thinking I'd do it myself. Then it was - which one of the three possible wiring harnesses for my car type do I need? Which steering wheel interface will actually work with my car? How does that bit of trim come out - and what happens if I disconnect the airbag warning light - or if I miss a clip and break something? Eff it, I'll pay someone.

In the end the mobile installer I used had it all done in under an hour, Id've spent the better part of a day lol!

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I hear ya. When I upgraded the head unit in my car I started out thinking I'd do it myself. Then it was - which one of the three possible wiring harnesses for my car type do I need? Which steering wheel interface will actually work with my car? How does that bit of trim come out - and what happens if I disconnect the airbag warning light - or if I miss a clip and break something? Eff it, I'll pay someone.

In the end the mobile installer I used had it all done in under an hour, Id've spent the better part of a day lol!
Oh the joys of working on new cars with van is etc haha. Every car I’ve owned has had mangled radio harnesses that I’ve had to extend/repair. Even in my current Stagea the person who installed the alarm bloody twist and taped the wires together and I had one of the ignition wires come undone and couldn’t start the car.

As I’m wirting this out my mates sent me a message saying his Japanese toll road thing or something seems to be triggering his KA band.. had a good laugh.

RoadDogg

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
The R3 is an awesome radar detector. I hope you enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy!!! Thanks for the clip! I'm not sure I'll be getting many like that up in the choppy North Island type terrain lol, Hauraki Plains aside (actually I frequently wish for a detector through there though). It's going to be really interesting,and actually, half the reason I'm getting one again is just the general interest factor :)
I use the back roads from SH1 to Matamata on my trips, not seen a cop yet. Very tempting.
Post automatically merged:
I got the Pro's to do the hard wire install on the Cupra because it was my first Euro car and I was a bit cautious about their systems. When I found out how easy it was I did my wife's Arona in about 20 -30 minutes.

Last edited:

spudtatoe

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I use the back roads from SH1 to Matamata on my trips, not seen a cop yet. Very tempting.
Post automatically merged:
I got the Pro's to do the hard wire install on the Cupra because it was my first Euro car and I was a bit cautious about their systems. When I found out how easy it was I did my wife's Arona in about 20 -30 minutes.
When I first was going to do my hardwire I planned on just tapping the ignition off my sunroof switch and then grounding it at that nearby point so the cable could be very short but then I got lazy and ran outta time so just bought one of the prewired kits off trademe which ya just slot into the fuse lol

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mickrussom