Kia Ora from Auckland, New Zealand

Tankerbuzz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I recently got myself a Uniden R3 (until R7 is released) as my Passport Max 2 was stolen :(

I will be hard wiring it up high on the windscreen in the hope it will be less visible to theives. Problem is the suction mount that came with the R3 does not have enough tilt to make it parallel with the road... So I will be looking at getting some sort of mirror mount.

Question for fellow Kiwis, what is the worst fine/penalty you can recieve from a redflex van/camera?
Do you ever recieve demerits or loss of license if they can identify you in the photo?

Cheers :)

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

I recently got myself a Uniden R3 (until R7 is released) as my Passport Max 2 was stolen :(

I will be hard wiring it up high on the windscreen in the hope it will be less visible to theives. Problem is the suction mount that came with the R3 does not have enough tilt to make it parallel with the road... So I will be looking at getting some sort of mirror mount.

Question for fellow Kiwis, what is the worst fine/penalty you can recieve from a redflex van/camera?
Do you ever recieve demerits or loss of license if they can identify you in the photo?

Welcome to RDF.

Do check the AU/NZ section when you get a chance. Australia & New Zealand

Have you tried bending the suction mount? That normally works for me.
As for thieves, If I am using a windshield radar, I never leave my RD in my car - not even when it is parked inside my garage at home!

You cannot get demerit points from redflex cameras, but I think you can loose your licence if doing silly/dangerous speeds.

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum !

R3 sticky cup mount - as someone mention here before, you can file away a small section of the stem of the mount with a small round file in the area it will make contact with the securing/tightening plastic nut at the back, when bent back. I removed about 1/2 the stem thickness in this area, and it enabled me to get the correct angle, and keep the R3 level.

KiwiBloke

Floor it & swerve
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Welcome along! I think windshield mount RD's are always fairly visible from outside the vehicle. I tend to take mine down whenever I leave the car in a public place.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

Tankerbuzz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to RDF.

Do check the AU/NZ section when you get a chance. Australia & New Zealand

Have you tried bending the suction mount? That normally works for me.
As for thieves, If I am using a windshield radar, I never leave my RD in my car - not even when it is parked inside my garage at home!

You cannot get demerit points from redflex cameras, but I think you can loose your licence if doing silly/dangerous speeds.

Ah, will do thanks.
Yeah that is probably wise thinking, I will have to get in the habit myself.

I assume you will lose your license based of the car registration? How would they prove who the person was driving the vehicle?

Tankerbuzz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum !

R3 sticky cup mount - as someone mention here before, you can file away a small section of the stem of the mount with a small round file in the area it will make contact with the securing/tightening plastic nut at the back, when bent back. I removed about 1/2 the stem thickness in this area, and it enabled me to get the correct angle, and keep the R3 level.

Awesome! Thanks, I will be sure to try this. I only need about another 5 degrees of tilt max.

PrairieAssassin223

Hunting rabbits
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The R3 is an excellent choice.

Tankerbuzz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum !

Thanks for the tip. It has worked perfectly.

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
we hope that you are enjoying the forum.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dk919