2013 e70 BMW X5 triple TMG head install location question.

SCB67

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just bought a 3 head TMG setup and looking for placement help for the front. The 1st picture and marked locations seem to be the best setup EXCEPT the bumper sticks out so far, it blocks the 2 side heads from anything but a straight shot.

2nd seems better but the 2 outside heads are low and seems to be in to much of a V to work well.

Any advise?

C995CAA4-D16F-4BE5-BE98-6DFE47B65240.jpeg DEAB8F3C-98D4-4CB3-BDD4-CCC0E944E111.jpeg

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any TMG installs on BMW grills yet, but I believe you could install two of the heads vertically in the kidney grills and have the third head mounted horizontally in the middle like in the first picture. The testing results so far with two heads vertical have looked pretty promising: www.rdforum.org: TMG Testing Information - Quick Summary

Last edited:

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus/Lifetime Contributor🇺🇸🇳🇴🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lysevegen og Atlanterhavsveien
One of the testers had his two heads mounted vertically in the grill of a Volvo SUV. He had good performance against non-VPR guns like the ProLaser. However to be relatively covered against VPR guns you definitely need a third head and it has to be mounted horizontally. I personally would recommend moving your outside heads up into the outside opening on both sides of your kidney grill. I think mounted below the bumper, you'll get punch through on your headlights. The heads are going to have to stick out a bit unless you're in a banned state, in which case you have to compromise concealment vs. protection. I'd almost recommend using Sugru and/or one of the 3D printed mounts that @chakeubeam is working on to mount that center head as far out on the bumper as you can.

exau

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I went with the first set up, I’ve tested it and works great. Been only hit once by a cop and didn’t get a reading. I’m curious on to what set up you ended up with?

Attachments

• 483ACF16-3BD6-4C25-BA5C-365D8C057C13.jpeg
    483ACF16-3BD6-4C25-BA5C-365D8C057C13.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 10

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I went with the first set up, I’ve tested it and works great. Been only hit once by a cop and didn’t get a reading. I’m curious on to what set up you ended up with?
2018 Thread my friend

Maybe
@Phantom Z3 can help you 🤔🤔😎😎👍👍

Or @Jag42

Benzr

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Did you use perspex? Your outside heads look to be toed out. Might not be an issue since you're ALP (not sure why you posted in a TMG thread).

Those heads are pretty badly recessed. You could probably pick a speed off on the lower corners of your bumper, depending on the gun.

Where are you from? Your best bet is to get tested by someone on here with at least the hardest gun in your area, ideally with a Dragoneye gun (if it jams Dragoneye, it'll jam everything else).

Also, this is where I'd personally put your TX to avoid interference (one of the two blue dots):
Screenshot_20210609-102904.jpg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjhoser