Technical and customer support

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into doing a trade in/upgrade from an R1/3 to R7?

I've sent my dead unit in for repair but I was already considering the R7.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
An update on my R7 repair sent into Uniden.
I mailed it from Canada Post office at my hardware store May 19th.
Uniden USA received it May 26th.
Uniden shipped R7 back to me on June 5th.
Should arrive within the week even with Canada Post COVID disruptions & delays.
Uniden shipped back to me for NO charge to my credit card.
No shipping charge, no repair charge.
Unit was still under warranty.
Unit was damaged by my use of a speaker cord on motorcycle and not remembering to pull it out at the gas station.

I can't say I can complain about any aspect of Uniden service for this.
Someone answered the phone and answered all my questions without transfer or waiting each time.
Soon I will have 2 R7s to test back to back!
:cool: :bravo:

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

HZ360C

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There is not enough to say how professional and great of Uniden Customer Support! I had an small issue with the power cord came with the unit that the plastic moding was broken after a month or so. Call the Uniden, the call was pleasant and rep is very professional and made you feel the importance as an Uniden customer. There is no hassle to got replacement cord with Fedex express. I have been very pleased with my R7, now adding such a great customer service experiences, just made my R7 even mode in values compare to other brands.

Chris KH2PM

AV8R
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Where can that bracket be purchased pls

Sorry, but when I posted that URL, it was a suggestion. I have never purchased one so I don't know where to find such a mount.

TonyPHX

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hello @UnidenSupport - First, thank you for being here and thank you for an excellent device. The R7 is very nice and when the world opens up to travel again this will be in my laptop bag kit for use in rental cars as well. My understanding is that the next firmware will offer even better BSM filtering. Can we get some sense of the timeline?

markmich

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am new to the R7. I updated the drivers and firmware on my Mac but saw that the Red Light and Speed Camera Locations were fairly old databases. I called Uniden support to find out why there are a number of PC updates but not for the Mac. They informed me that they are not supporting the Mac and that should either borrow a Windows computer (which isn't a great option) or learn how to use my Mac to download and install Window files (which again isn't really a great option.

I don't understand why any updates aren't available for both Windows and Mac. I think the R7 appears to be a great unit but it is discouraging that the Red Light and Speed Camera Locations are so out of date.

HZ360C

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I am new to the R7. I updated the drivers and firmware on my Mac but saw that the Red Light and Speed Camera Locations were fairly old databases. I called Uniden support to find out why there are a number of PC updates but not for the Mac. They informed me that they are not supporting the Mac and that should either borrow a Windows computer (which isn't a great option) or learn how to use my Mac to download and install Window files (which again isn't really a great option.

I don't understand why any updates aren't available for both Windows and Mac. I think the R7 appears to be a great unit but it is discouraging that the Red Light and Speed Camera Locations are so out of date.
That is a complete mis-informed comment! The firmware and red light data base files (xxxxxxxxxx.bin) are the same files used in both windows and Mac update tool. The only thing different are the actually update tools, which you already have for the Mac. All you have to do is download the newest firmware (as of current the version 129), extract it, which contains to bin files, one is for firmware and the other is for database. You will be using the same update tool to update the either files.

markmich

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
That is a complete mis-informed comment! The firmware and red light data base files (xxxxxxxxxx.bin) are the same files used in both windows and Mac update tool. The only thing different are the actually update tools, which you already have for the Mac. All you have to do is download the newest firmware (as of current the version 129), extract it, which contains to bin files, one is for firmware and the other is for database. You will be using the same update tool to update the either files.
I apologize if I am doing something wrong but as it appears that the version 129 is only available to download on a PC. There is no link that I could see for a MAC.
Post automatically merged:

This is what is on the support page:

R7 (Last Updated 03/19/2020 v1.29)

1. Ensure your R7 is powered off using the power button
  2. Connect the R7 to a PC with USB cable
  3. PC may automatically download USB drivers if needed. If message says that the device is not recognized, you can manually install the USB driver here: [ZIP] (Install drivers and then reconnect radar detector to PC)
  4. Download and install appropriate file:
    R7 for PC – “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool and R7 Firmware” [ZIP]
  5. After downloading, extract the files to a new folder.
  6. Run “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28.msi”
  7. After download tool is installed, run “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28” from a newly created shortcut. Your version of firmware will appear on the application.
  8. Select the OPEN button and browse to the “r7_v129.129.113_db191002.bin” file from the previously extracted files, then select START DOWNLOAD. Select the OPEN button and browse to the “DB_202000106.bin” file from the previously extracted files, then select RECOVERY MODE then select START DOWNLOAD.
  9. After update is complete, close the program.
  10. Firmware/Database/Voice is all updated with a single program.
  11. Reset the device to the factory default settings by using the menu after new firmware has been installed.

Last edited:

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
You unfortunately got some bad advise. Uniden supports both. Follow this link to Vortex radar and you will see it there;

Last edited:

HZ360C

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I apologize if I am doing something wrong but as it appears that the version 129 is only available to download on a PC. There is no link that I could see for a MAC.
Post automatically merged:

This is what is on the support page:

R7 (Last Updated 03/19/2020 v1.29)

1. Ensure your R7 is powered off using the power button
  2. Connect the R7 to a PC with USB cable
  3. PC may automatically download USB drivers if needed. If message says that the device is not recognized, you can manually install the USB driver here: [ZIP] (Install drivers and then reconnect radar detector to PC)
  4. Download and install appropriate file:
    R7 for PC – “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool and R7 Firmware” [ZIP]
  5. After downloading, extract the files to a new folder.
  6. Run “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28.msi”
  7. After download tool is installed, run “Uniden R Series SW Download Tool V1.28” from a newly created shortcut. Your version of firmware will appear on the application.
  8. Select the OPEN button and browse to the “r7_v129.129.113_db191002.bin” file from the previously extracted files, then select START DOWNLOAD. Select the OPEN button and browse to the “DB_202000106.bin” file from the previously extracted files, then select RECOVERY MODE then select START DOWNLOAD.
  9. After update is complete, close the program.
  10. Firmware/Database/Voice is all updated with a single program.
  11. Reset the device to the factory default settings by using the menu after new firmware has been installed.
Just download the “zip” file on #4, you can extract it on Mac, just ignore the “Tool” which is for PC, but the two bin files that you need. You can download the “Tool for Mac” from the previous firmware link.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I use R7 on Mac, and can confirm the firmware and DB installation is fully supported on mac 1.2 upload tool (attached for convenience).

You will also find my latest updated and maintained USA/Canada database here:

These files are fully compatible with LRD950, DFR7 (US and Uniden NZ version in the US), DFR9, R3 and R7 (US and Uniden NZ version in the US). These file can also be used with the relevant upload tool on Windows or Mac (R3 and R7).

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Uniden R Series Tool V1.2.pkg.zip
    98.4 KB · Views: 41

markmich

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help. I didn’t know that I would have to look off Uniden’s support pages to find the appropriate link for a MAC. It worked with no problem and I’m up and running. Sorry again for my misunderstanding how it works.

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks great to hear. Glad you able to get it done. I am not Mac user (do use an iphone) but it sounds like Uniden could make this easier/clearer.

alexb74

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I purchased this unit from USA and i live in Israel.Now i want to update it to local database and looks like Israel distributor is not allowed it by install on Israel units different firmware,So please help with that please, cause i don't have here any supporting from local distributor ,he want that i will by only from him,and the price here is twice that the price in states.From some reason Uniden is not answering me in their web site

Reactions: Roa

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kidnapper49