86 in a 60, MD-200

Rill

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Waze was my only countermeasure, as I've only just joined this forum and started looking into radar detectors / laser jammers. I obviously need to speed up my research and purchasing.

I was hit with "TA-21-801.1" or "Speeding by Exceeding Maximum Speed Limit"... aka Speeding.
I was clocked by a marked car with a stationary laser.
This charge carries a fine of $160.00 and 2 points.

I was also given a warning for "TA-21-201(a1)" or "Failure to obey properly placed traffic control device instructions".
I assume this was just a way for the cop to stick me with a warning for speeding?
She never explained this side of the ticket, so I'm honestly not sure what instructions I was in violation of (aside from the speeding).

Over all, I was dumb and continued to speed in a zone of increased enforcement.
I was driving my girlfriend to the airport, so my fear of missed flights overrode my fear of tickets.

My last offence was in the summer of 2014 when I got another speeding ticket. This ticket was dismissed with a "probation before judgement" (you pay the fine but avoid the points, as long as you don't get another in 3 years).

I'm ok with paying the fine, but I would like to somehow weasel my way out of the points.
My options are to:
  1. Pay the fine and take the points.
  2. Request a trial.
  3. Request a waiver hearing (You plea guilty but request alternate sentencing from a judge. This is what I did last time).
I'd love to hear any advice!
Thanks!

JohnnyE

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Waze was my only countermeasure, as I've only just joined this forum and started looking into radar detectors / laser jammers. I obviously need to speed up my research and purchasing.

I was hit with "TA-21-801.1" or "Speeding by Exceeding Maximum Speed Limit"... aka Speeding.

I was also given a warning for "TA-21-201(a1)" or "Failure to obey properly placed traffic control device instructions".
I assume this was just a way for the cop to stick me with a warning for speeding?
She never explained this side of the ticket, so I'm honestly not sure what instructions I was in violation of (aside from the speeding).

I was driving my girlfriend to the airport, so my fear of missed flights overrode my fear of tickets.

My last offence was in the summer of 2014 when I got another speeding ticket. This ticket was dismissed with a "probation before judgement" (you pay the fine but avoid the points, as long as you don't get another in 3 years).

I'm ok with paying the fine, but I would like to somehow weasel my way out of the points.
My options are to:
  2. Request a trial.
  3. Request a waiver hearing (You plea guilty but request alternate sentencing from a judge. This is what I did last time).
Thanks!
I HATE points!

If court is in MoCo, beware Judge Brian Kim. I was up before him about seven years ago and of the approximately 30 cases that morning, he only cut two of us a break. He's was a hangin' judge that morning. If you draw him, ask for a continuance in order to get a lawyer. You may want to do that anyway. If you could have gotten points points reduced now, but take them instead, and you get popped again in short order, you could be in a world of hurt,

Rill

Learning to Drive
General User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I HATE points!

If court is in MoCo, beware Judge Brian Kim. I was up before him about seven years ago and of the approximately 30 cases that morning, he only cut two of us a break. He's was a hangin' judge that morning. If you draw him, ask for a continuance in order to get a lawyer. You may want to do that anyway. If you could have gotten points points reduced now, but take them instead, and you get popped again in short order, you could be in a world of hurt,
It was in Montgomery County :/
I've never gone the lawyer route before. How much do you typically pay?
Is there much a lawyer could do?

JohnnyE

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That's out of my wheelhouse. I handled my own defense in front of Kim. In my case, I came with some articles describing the confusion of the close layout of the turn signal and cruise control stalks,leading to folks hitting the wrong lever, the fact that I was on a road that curves, putting my hand over the cruise stalk and not the signal lever, the officer's inability to testify to certain facts (and the judge's despising unprepared officers) and in the end, he took my 2 point infraction and found me guilty for a reduced 1 point infraction. Only the school bus driver, while driving his personal vehicle on Rockville Pike, was ticketed for passing a stopped school bus, and still got a break. The bus driver told the judge his view of the bus was obscured by a tractor-trailer between him and the bus, and as a bus driver, his bus is passed all the time and he fears for the kids. Judge believed him and kicked him loose.

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the ticket, definitely go to court and see what you can do... If you aren't getting break resquest continuance to get a lawyer and have them help you get the points knocked out. Definitely look into some countermeasures, a RD and some laser protection like ALP or the soon to be released TMG can help you avoid future roadside discos

AJJ

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

My options are to:
  2. Request a trial.
Thanks!
how fast were you going and do you know what kind of laser gun she used?
Just had an encounter with md state troopper using a PL3 last week.

chassis221

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
That route 200 is bad. I travel from Philadelphia to Gaithersburg MD and take 200. I've never been stopped on 200 but they are aggressive for sure.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyMike