V1 mounting ideas

Jlse

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
With packaging tape I've run a V1 for 9 years on my Subaru's frit area. It had a factory tint band which helped a great deal in hiding it.

Did you ever have any issues with the packing tape falling off? I've got a Subaru also and tried the same method with the frit area. Ending up falling off after about 2 weeks baking in the Florida sun. I tried using a single strip of gorilla clear packing tape and that isn't doing the trick

Delta9

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here is my ~$15 mount from eBay with an extra washer and lock nut between the plastic and the eBay mount.

Doing this to try and provide a little more "forward" movement of the radar detector to allow it to get closer to the glass.

No washer is on the inside of the mount, I want the extra "distance" to all be on the windshield side of the mount, this is how I have it mounted.

Screw | v1 mount | silver washer (added) | lock nut (added) | black washer (provided with eBay mount) | eBay mount

Attachments

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you ever have any issues with the packing tape falling off? I've got a Subaru also and tried the same method with the frit area. Ending up falling off after about 2 weeks baking in the Florida sun. I tried using a single strip of gorilla clear packing tape and that isn't doing the trick
Huh. No, I haven't had the tape come off. Are you cleaning the area really well with alcohol first? Also a good idea to let the tape settle for a day or so before hanging anything on it. It's kind of like tint material in that way.

Jlse

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Huh. No, I haven't had the tape come off. Are you cleaning the area really well with alcohol first? Also a good idea to let the tape settle for a day or so before hanging anything on it. It's kind of like tint material in that way.
I did clean with alcohol beforehand, but I didn't let the tape settle for a day before hanging anything. I'll give that a shot and see what happens, thanks!

valentine1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and decided to fabricate my own bracket from posts I saw on this forum. I used a sheet of thin aluminum about the same thickness as the visor clip to give it just enough rigidity; but thin enough to still be easily bendable.

I used the suction cup mount instead of the visor clip mount because the suction cup mount is much easier to remove with the push of a button since I do plan on storing the radar away whenever I'm away from the car for a couple of hours. The visor clip mount is difficult to remove.

The bracket sits between the headliner and the overhead console; with a hole cut in the bracket that is held in place with the factory Phillips screw in the overhead console. The bracket is also wide enough where it's sandwiched into place by the edges of the overhead console. It came out great and is in the perfect position up high and out of the way. I did not want to put the Valentine on either visor because the gf and I use our visors all the time. Nor did I want to use suction cups because they fall off all the time. I put up with suction cups for the dashcam and GPS because they are cheap... though I have some bracket ideas in the works for them too! I also refuse to use adhesive at it constantly comes off in the heat. Additionally mounting it under the mirror for all to see was not an option I considered either. I wanted it high and stealth

Check out the results and let me know your thoughts . I'll spray paint it black soon

-J

Attachments

Last edited:

VTBogey

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I modified the windshield bracket by taking a dremel tool and cutting the height down on the suction cup mound. I then took an R3 windshield bracket purchased off eBay and riveted it to the visor clip. I used some JB weld 2 part epoxy in addition to the rivet to secure. I’m using the 3M scotch fastener to hold it to the window. I ran my R3 this way for a couple of years with no issues from the 3M due to heat. I also like the windshield mount because you can adjust the V1 forward or backward depending on the angle you are after.

Attachments

valentine1

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Bob in Texas - love the ideas of the install. Nice setup by the way. Does anyone here any similar ideas for a Jeep Grand Cherokee (07)? Would love pics if possible. Needs to be stealthy because I live in the Communistwealth of VA. When available, I will be using a CD somewhere on/in the dash right atop steering wheel. TIA!
Good sir I just posted on page 10 with an idea for my Cherokee take a look!

Vahomboy

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Good sir I just posted on page 10 with an idea for my Cherokee take a look!
Looks good! Right now I'm using the stock V1 suction cup mount and seems to be doing good. I do have a plan B if needed.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Can someone recommend where I should mount my V1G2?

A) up high above the RVM (but behind Frits)

OR

B) underneath the sensor box thingy (a little above dead center of windshield)

I purchased a permanent mount that I will be using and it will be hardwired. Thanks

Edit: can not put to the left of the frits because the visor will block the entire V1, which I do not want to do since I use the visor often in the California sun.

A7DD59E6-2C8E-4E08-8FEB-A6EB6F016B83.jpeg

Last edited:

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

VTBogey

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Definitely A. Mine works best up high and Frits do not interfere with sensitivity that I can see.

carls3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Definitely A. Mine works best up high and Frits do not interfere with sensitivity that I can see.
Can’t get mine to stick no matter what. Used a 3M mount attachment and the clear tape method @Bloovy One suggested but can’t get it to work.

Going on upper/middle of my WS.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallm2020