Best settings for R3 in Alberta (Calgary)

Dukes

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
There isn’t much that can be done about the short alert time with these. Those trucks are tricky.

Some do use I/O but most have radar that are just too tricky to detect. Theres some good posts on this buried in these forums. Something to do with diredtion, angle of beam etc.

There’s also the newer band of radar truck that shoots radar below what the R3 can detect.

Best bet for photo radar is Waze.

The MRCD units that the R3 cannot detect aren't "new", they just have frequencies lower than 24.050.

Jason Michael Behr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here is a video of my current settings. *** NOTE it is 3 1/2 min long *** Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

I do want to say that twice I drove past a photo radar vehicle and both times it did not go off. I know he was active because I saw the flash when another car drove past him. I was coming head on and it never went off, then I flipped around at the next corner and came back past him and again it never went off. 1st one was 3 days ago, it was a Black Ford truck and I think that is our new Dragoneye, I know the R3 does not detect that. But today''s (the one I flipped around for) was a little red SUV. Typical photo radar truck here in the city.

What am I missing?

yycast

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
With K off you won’t get any signal from the photo cars. Most (from what I’ve seen) are K band.

The F150s (again, from what I’ve seen) are too low a frequency for the R3 to even detect.

Even if you do get a sniff of a photo truck, it’s going to be too late to save your a— anyway when approaching from behind. It’s a weak alert with short notice at best, with full scale alarm when you’re already in his scan and captured by photo.

Last edited:

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have K band on as i too believe that the trucks are K frequency, the trucks i pass around Bonnie Doon towards Whyte ave are Mrcd but i havent come across the city of edmonton white truck that they use since i got my R3, so looking forward to waving hello to that guy next.

Jason Michael Behr

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK. I will turn K back on and see if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.

yycast

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OK. I will turn K back on and see if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.
Let us know.

All of the photo cars I’ve seen in Calgary since getting into detectors have been K. I’ve yet to see MRCD and the black f150 I see on airport trail on a regular basis isn’t recognized by the R3 so I assume he’s shooting < 24.05

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have K band on as i too believe that the trucks are K frequency, the trucks i pass around Bonnie Doon towards Whyte ave are Mrcd but i havent come across the city of edmonton white truck that they use since i got my R3, so looking forward to waving hello to that guy next.
If your in that area frequently, there’s quite a few spots to look.

Your right.
Whyte Ave. 98 street to 75 street. Both ways.

Try:
75 street - NB & SB 98 ave to 90 ave.
101 ave - WB & EB 75 st to 69 st.
50 st - NB & SB 106 ave to 101 ave
106 ave - WB from 65 st to 77 st.

That should give you enough to start hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keefrto

Loving Alberta's response to cameras. #not
Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy new year folks, I guess I know who I am hunting in Edmonton very soon, lol, thanks mate

--- DOUBLEPOST MERGED ---

omg, i had to turn my TSF back on, the amount of traffic cams that were on today in my neck of the woods.

Westerndom

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi everyone newbie member here living in Lethbridge, Alberta. Just bought an R3, updated it to 1.48. No experience with the older FW.

I find it very chatty in town. K false a lot.

The city use portable unit like the one pictured on here. Went by one of them, no alert at all. Was going opposite way and unit was facing me. MRCD on, K on, K filter and narrow, 100% TSF was off.

No very impressed so far but more testing is warranted. Might return it if no improvement tho.

Attachments

themapster00

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Now that we have another update (1.48) to address Tsf, can we run TSF on and pickup the low powered reflex say with higher k sensitivity in Advanced mode?

Posted from my iPad using the RDF Mobile App!

Heywood

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that we have another update (1.48) to address Tsf, can we run TSF on and pickup the low powered reflex say with higher k sensitivity in Advanced mode?
If you were not getting it before if it was below the 24.050 floor, your still not going to get it.

I’m not sure 1.48 will be better. Sound like from others, it got worse.

It’s been too cold to be out testing lately.

There is a thread on 1.48 against MRCD in the testing section that had a lively discussion.

themapster00

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There’s plenty of redflex in Calgary above 24.050. Obviously if it’s below there is nothing that can be done as it’s a hardware limitation. Redflex is more a Calgary problem, MRCD more Edmonton hence asking about TSF and the new Update with regards to Redflex. Previously even at 100% and TSF On there was no chance of picking it up, TSF had to be off. Has this changed or TSF will still have that effect? Haven’t been in the city since the update so haven’t been able to self test. Thought others might be in the know already.

slim3605

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
There’s plenty of redflex in Calgary above 24.050. Obviously if it’s below there is nothing that can be done as it’s a hardware limitation. Redflex is more a Calgary problem, MRCD more Edmonton hence asking about TSF and the new Update with regards to Redflex. Previously even at 100% and TSF On there was no chance of picking it up, TSF had to be off. Has this changed or TSF will still have that effect? Haven’t been in the city since the update so haven’t been able to self test. Thought others might be in the know already.

I don't remember exactly what my setting were as I played with different setting when I catch redflex but it was an alert with extremely short notice as I passing by the van. That said, I see no hope for Redflex with R3.

Last edited:

apollo18

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
sorry to bump a old thread but ive been running segments 2/4/5/6/8 all the time and i live in edmonton but i drive down to medicine hat about once every 2 months so im always on the QE2 and highway 1. With these segments ive never got a ticket yet however I drive super aware, always keeping my eyes peeled and looking around for driving conditions. my question is that i noticed that i have probably driven past 15 police cars on the highways and the radar doesnt say a thing, obviously right when i see the cops i step on the breaks and thankfully never got a ticket, i was assuming they either had no radar or have it turned off waiting to I/O. my question is, is there a possibility there radar is running a band that i have turned off? like for example there radar gun could be out of tune and at band 1, 3, 7, or 9 etc? or is that impossible since the equiptment cant reach those bands due to drift?

thanks

device: uniden r3

KrazyK

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
sorry to bump a old thread but ive been running segments 2/4/5/6/8 all the time and i live in edmonton but i drive down to medicine hat about once every 2 months so im always on the QE2 and highway 1. With these segments ive never got a ticket yet however I drive super aware, always keeping my eyes peeled and looking around for driving conditions. my question is that i noticed that i have probably driven past 15 police cars on the highways and the radar doesnt say a thing, obviously right when i see the cops i step on the breaks and thankfully never got a ticket, i was assuming they either had no radar or have it turned off waiting to I/O. my question is, is there a possibility there radar is running a band that i have turned off? like for example there radar gun could be out of tune and at band 1, 3, 7, or 9 etc? or is that impossible since the equiptment cant reach those bands due to drift?

thanks

device: uniden r3
Good questions.

It is most probable that the LEO's you saw were not transmitting. They watch, just as you described that you do, for that one car that is hauling and then designate that guy as a target. The majority of LEO on QEII are I/O, that is they pick their prey and then they transmit radar. There are no new bands of radar at this time and I consider your segments pretty good for coverage.
Next time you go to Lethbridge try running all bands of Ka segments on just for education. You have the rare chance of getting a false alert so if the frequency is outside of the typical 4, 5, 6, 8, then watch for a LEO to see. Down at seg 2, I don't run that seg. Some claim that there is 33 GHz radar around but in all my years have never seen it.

Last edited:

yycast

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Those highway guys are on like sharks looking for prey - I/O is their best friend... Opposite of our city friends who will leave their Ka on constant while standing outside their car with the laser gun! haha

I'm always looking for short/low strength Ka alerts on the R3. It has saved me a few times sniffing out an I/O shot from further a head.

Last edited:

Heywood

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
On your next trip leave all your Ka Band in just to see.

Really the only thing you might see is

34.7 very common.- RC’s and Alta Sheriffs
35.5 common- mostly RC’s

33.8 is rare but worth having that segment on. Old RCMP.

K band
24.150 very common -RC’s and Alta S.
23.125. Low powered Raptor. Not overly common but is used by the Alberta sheriffs near Edmonton.

hitenv79

Learning to Drive
General User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread, but since my question is related to driving in Canada as well, I thought to add it here.

I will be landing in Toronto and taking a road trip like this: Toronto -> Kingston -> Montreal -> Quebec -> Ottawa -> Toronto.

I have an R3 currently in Dallas area which I plan on taking with me. Do you guys running R3 in Canada recommend the same settings as above for the route I will be taking? Or does that area use something different?

This is what I got from the threads above:

“Advanced Mode
Ka Narrow - 100%
K narrow - 40%
Ka filter OFF
K filter ON
TSF OFF

I switch to Hwy mode once leaving the city as there is K band on the outskirts and everywhere across Canada. Alberta has everything. CGY and EDM do not have k band within city limits but I leave it on anyways and knock down the sens. which is tolerable for me with lockouts.”

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arclamp