Uniden R1/R3 Change Log and Firmware Versions

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I haven't seen or read anything about that version. Perhaps it's a New Zealand only firmware?
No, this was on a new detector bought from Amazon in the US. They wanted me to update it for my NZ database, however, I noted the firmware looks more recent than the US firmware I have.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I actually just checked the serial numbers. The new R3 in question has a most recent serial number 9A02XXXX. Earlier serial numbers came with 150.208.115, and not 150.213.115. Therefore has anyone else recently seen a more recent R3 with serial number 9A02, and checked the firmware version? Dsp version 213 definitely exists, just not sure what the difference is and why Uniden has not yet released it.

RoverTtx

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I actually just checked the serial numbers. The new R3 in question has a most recent serial number 9A02XXXX. Earlier serial numbers came with 150.208.115, and not 150.213.115. Therefore has anyone else recently seen a more recent R3 with serial number 9A02, and checked the firmware version? Dsp version 213 definitely exists, just not sure what the difference is and why Uniden has not yet released it.
@UnidenSupport

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score

I actually perceive there might even be a bug in the 213 DSP version. The user in question reported an anomaly, in that a radar alert in the same location as the database alert seems to have taken priority to the overspeed gps alert. Therefore, @UnidenSupport please could you also take this into consideration.

Since the detector in question is far away from me, I have no option to do more testing. However, I will check new R3 batches, to see if they include this same firmware DSP version, so I can test it more comprehensively.

Lightspeeder7

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Anyone else been waiting for months for Uniden to post the Mac firmware update version for the R3? The last update (vers. 1.50) which came out on 7/24/2019 is still not available for Mac users, just PC users. And please, no snide comments about getting a real computer! I do run Windows 10 on my Mac via Parallels but the R3 USB cable isn't recognized by the Parallels software. If other users on here have managed to successfully update to version 1.50 while running Windows 10 on Parallels, I'd love to know how you got the software to locate the detector.

Thanks.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@Lightspeeder7 I can fix this for you, we've been using vers 1.50 in New Zealand on Mac for the R3 very soon after it came out.

oversteer325

Caution, Anchor May Drop Suddenly
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Anyone else been waiting for months for Uniden to post the Mac firmware update version for the R3? The last update (vers. 1.50) which came out on 7/24/2019 is still not available for Mac users, just PC users. And please, no snide comments about getting a real computer! I do run Windows 10 on my Mac via Parallels but the R3 USB cable isn't recognized by the Parallels software. If other users on here have managed to successfully update to version 1.50 while running Windows 10 on Parallels, I'd love to know how you got the software to locate the detector.

Thanks.
The older Mac installer works fine with the newest firmware from what others have said. Just use that version to install the update.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Mac version 1.2 is definitely fine with this 1.50 update.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I never could figure that out so I have a boot camp partition setup with Windows 10 and updated from there. I looked for the 1.2 and tried to use it before I did boot camp but no go. The only other Windows PC we have in the house is for work and they have it restricted so cant use that. I’m good now but it took a minute.

Lightspeeder7

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Lightspeeder7 I can fix this for you, we've been using vers 1.50 in New Zealand on Mac for the R3 very soon after it came out.
So how did you manage to get the update installed?
Post automatically merged:

The older Mac installer works fine with the newest firmware from what others have said. Just use that version to install the update.
I'll give it a try.

So how did you manage to get the update installed?

I'll give it a try.
So the last Mac installer version I see on the firmware update site is version 1.1. I downloaded it (again), ran the installer, connected my R3 and the installer reported what you see in the attached screen shot. I then downloaded the Red Light Database Update from 10/2/2019 and unzipped the file. However, the unzipped BIN file (DB_20191002.bin) of 152 KB is not detected by the installer program. So at this point I'm not sure how to install the updated red light DB. Suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.33.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.33.20 AM.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
So the last Mac installer version I see on the firmware update site is version 1.1. I downloaded it (again), ran the installer, connected my R3 and the installer reported what you see in the attached screen shot. I then downloaded the Red Light Database Update from 10/2/2019 and unzipped the file. However, the unzipped BIN file (DB_20191002.bin) of 152 KB is not detected by the installer program. So at this point I'm not sure how to install the updated red light DB. Suggestions?

You need to direct the software to the .bin file. Click “open” and navigate to the location of the unzipped .bin file, select it, then click “start download.”

Lightspeeder7

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
You need to direct the software to the .bin file. Click “open” and navigate to the location of the unzipped .bin file, select it, then click “start download.”
I agree, and I already tried that. The unzipped .bin file isn't being seen in the firmware updater program. I saved the unzipped .bin file to my desktop but when I click on the "Open" button, it doesn't find it on the desktop. It's as if it can't see it at all. (See screen shot.) That's why I'm stuck since the installer can't see the .bin file. If you look closely at the screen shot, you'll notice in the lower right hand corner that the .bin file is sitting on the desktop but the installer isn't seeing it when I click on the "Desktop" button in the updater.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.49.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 11.49.37 AM.png
    509 KB · Views: 98

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I agree, and I already tried that. The unzipped .bin file isn't being seen in the firmware updater program. I saved the unzipped .bin file to my desktop but when I click on the "Open" button, it doesn't find it on the desktop. It's as if it can't see it at all. (See screen shot.) That's why I'm stuck since the installer can't see the .bin file. If you look closely at the screen shot, you'll notice in the lower right hand corner that the .bin file is sitting on the desktop but the installer isn't seeing it when I click on the "Desktop" button in the updater.
I believe what is causing your problem is you’re using version 1.1 of the update software. Do this:

1. Uninstall version 1.1

2. You need to download version 1.2. On the Uniden firmware website, you’ll find this version packaged with the R7 update for
Mac. (Look for it under, R7 (Updated 06/12/2019....

I know it says for the R7, but that’s the only place I see version 1.2.

3. Install 1.2, and see if the .bin file appears now.

Last edited:

Lightspeeder7

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I believe what is causing your problem is you’re using version 1.1 of the update software. Do this:

1. Uninstall version 1.1

2. You need to download version 1.2. On the Uniden firmware website, you’ll find this version packaged with the R7 update for
Mac. (Look for it under, R7 (Updated 06/12/2019....

I know it says for the R7, but that’s the only place I see version 1.2.

3. Install 1.2, and see if the .bin file appears now.
A hundred thanks for that suggestion! Yes, the R7 updater for the Mac worked perfectly and the binary file was successfully located by the software and loaded into my R3. If you lived in Oklahoma, I'd buy you a beer (or non-alcoholic equivalent if you're a teetotaler).

I did call Uniden tech support this morning and asked them to press corporate in Irving, TX to get on the stick and be a little more forthcoming for their Mac users. Maybe they'll listen . . . .

mattguy10

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
A hundred thanks for that suggestion! Yes, the R7 updater for the Mac worked perfectly and the binary file was successfully located by the software and loaded into my R3. If you lived in Oklahoma, I'd buy you a beer (or non-alcoholic equivalent if you're a teetotaler).

I did call Uniden tech support this morning and asked them to press corporate in Irving, TX to get on the stick and be a little more forthcoming for their Mac users. Maybe they'll listen . . . .

Anytime! Glad it worked for you. I’ll definitely take you up on that beer if I’m ever in your area. [emoji4] Take care.

Mithheru

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yes, well done. Sorry, I had only ever used the V1.2 Mac uploader. I forgot there was an earlier version.

The V1.2 tool works equally for both the US R3 and the US R7. However, Uniden is reluctant to support it as they know they will need an updated version. The Mac tool does not support the R3 NZ or the R7 NZ. Whereas uniden released V1.28 for windows that supports all versions of the R3 and R7, they just didn't want people to know that so they could just allow Uniden NZ to convert the detectors over. However, I found also that the R3 US can be converted to the R3 NZ using the V1.2 Mac version!

So I believe, Uniden has their reasons for not updating the of the tools. I am also possible a bit of a thorn in their backside. But at least you do have a tool on Mac that works for both the R3 and the R7!

siq49

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
found it

Last edited:

Pumanator

rawr
Beginner User
Reaction score
@UnidenSupport @BestRadarDetectors

Do we know if future firmware updates will come out to fix known bug issues like Mute Memory lockouts also muting and locking out other frequencies? An X-band lock out has been repeatedly found to mute K-band. The frequencies aren't even close.

Thanks in advance!

BRZEspi

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

I just picked up an R3 today from Best Buy, this is my first RD in over 15 years! Anyways, serial starts with 9A02 and firmware version is 2019/10/02 150.213.115 - So I dont need to upgrade firmware? Glad to contribute anything I can for the community!

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamC