PA Turnpike Tollbooth Poliscan?

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was traveling to PA last weekend using the PA Turnpike, and got hit once each way with a Poliscan alert going through the booths. Is this legit? I was under the PSL both ways, but thought it might just be a false with the hundreds of sensors and cameras in the plaza.

ahl395

PSL?
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've gotten this several times too. It's a false, the speed display on the toll booth uses K band.

I've noticed those booths usually have some kind of infrared camera to view your plate with, I have a feeling that's what sets off the ALPs.

LeftLaneInPA

School buses are my nemeses.
Advanced User
Reaction score
Pretty much what @ahl395 said. The toll booths themselves used to have "your speed is" signs using low-power K-band for each lane. Most of the signs have been removed, but the system remains active. PennDOT collects the data for informational purposes. Every now and then those of us with PA EZ-Pass will see in the e-mailed newsletter a note to keep the speeds down when using the EZ-Pass lanes in the toll booths, with a caution that repeated violations of high-speed through the toll booths may result in suspension or revocation of your EZ-Pass. But I've never heard of that actually happening to anybody.

Reactions: R J

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I've noticed those booths usually have some kind of infrared camera to view your plate with, I have a feeling that's what sets off the ALPs.

This. They use an IR flash to take a picture of your plate, and the ALPs will briefly false to Poliscan.

Poliscan is very difficult to detect, so the ALPs alert to it immediately without much filtering if it is detected. I think you can safely turn it off in most of the US (except maybe MD?).

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

drtoddw

Always driving at a safe and prudent speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I get Poliscan alerts from both front and rear on my ALPs going over the automated toll bridge between Indiana and Louisville, KY. I do believe that they use Poliscan laser to track cars on the bridge, but only to charge people for the trip over the bridge.

ThreePedals6.2

Motor Head
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah okay, makes sense.

I just got the alert, but no active targeting or anything. When I drove through the construction zone in MD last month, I got the alert and laser defense.

drtoddw

Always driving at a safe and prudent speed
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ah okay, makes sense.

I just got the alert, but no active targeting or anything. When I drove through the construction zone in MD last month, I got the alert and laser defense.

They use stationary lidar to measure speed in MD

LeftLaneInPA

School buses are my nemeses.
Advanced User
Reaction score
That was probably a legit alert. There has been several mentions on RDForum about Maryland using stationary laser traps for speed enforcement, especially in construction zones.

R J

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
That was probably a legit alert. There has been several mentions on RDForum about Maryland using stationary laser traps for speed enforcement, especially in construction zones.

In Maryland, it most likely was as ALP was emitting that distinct buzz sound when you're being targeted. I swear they must stick them in the construction Port-O-Potties.

CredoMutwa

LEARNER'S PERMIT
General User
Reaction score
They've been working on the PA booths this year, In addition to adding the IR lights/photos, they are taking out the "traffic lights," (green: toll paid, yellow: low balance, red: contact us) and adding lidar to the K band "Your Speed Is" when approaching the toll plaza. Seems they're running both side-by-side. Sometimes my laser alerts, sometimes K alerts. They're not using it for active enforcement or issuing tickets.

PA is on the way to removing tolls and converting to a "toll by license plate" system. If you don't have a form of electronic RFID payment set up, you will receive a monthly bill in the mail by plate number. It's already in effect crossing the turnpike bridge from NJ into PA; they ripped out the toll booths late last year.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coach Ron