PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No traffic aircraft in Texas.

Frankrizzo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
DPS has several helicopters in their fleet and I regularly run across them in my job but I’ve never heard of them doing traffic. Typically it’s CBP missions and tracking people fleeing in areas where the city doesn’t have air support. They do have flir pods on the belly. Lots of times when college games are being played I’ll see them circle the perimeter for hours. All H125s as far as I’ve seen.

When the Houston hellcat chase and some others happened they came out.

87GN

TXCTG Rollin' Steel Wheels============
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They were used in a car chase on I-27 with a Dodge Challenger. Tack strip got him him at Tulia.

analyzerman

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just got my first run in with Texas DPS using laser either just south of Nacogdoches or Lufkin, can't remember which town. I was southbound on US 59 coming up on a hill and when I crested the hill I noticed a suv parked in the right hand shoulder area and the DPS officer had his door partially opened while leaning out and targeting the southbound traffic. Of course my R3 was as quite as a mouse sneaking up on a piece of cheese.
I know my local boys use laser on the SH146 in Baytown from time to time.

XDA

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Most state black & whites I run into are using 34.7, sometimes c/o, sometimes i/o. It varies.
I have talked to a senior DPS guy. They move Troopers around in numbers, they will send a bunch down to the Rio Grand Valley area as a show of force, for example. Sometimes you will see one Trooper after another, and you'll wonder WTF is going on? DPS divides the state into regions, and they may send a dozen cars from one region to another for a special assignment. If they wanted to, they could make a stop & issue a citation while in transit, but when I see them they usually have their radar off & are just trying to get where they are going.
Sometimes they will tell a young Trooper to go down near the border and park his black & white where everybody can see it and just sit there. They play with their laptops and talk on the phone. Your tax dollars at work.
And then, there are the Troopers out there actually doing their job "On the Highway Patrol." As Junior Brown would sing.

Last edited:

bkrell

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just got my first run in with Texas DPS using laser either just south of Nacogdoches or Lufkin, can't remember which town. I was southbound on US 59 coming up on a hill and when I crested the hill I noticed a suv parked in the right hand shoulder area and the DPS officer had his door partially opened while leaning out and targeting the southbound traffic. Of course my R3 was as quite as a mouse sneaking up on a piece of cheese.
I know my local boys use laser on the SH146 in Baytown from time to time.
Sorry for chiming in late but just wanted to point out that was probably just south of Nacogdoches. They love to hang out in the hills between Nac and Lufkin. South of Lufkin, you still have to worry about them. But local PD is a bigger problem. Diboll and Corrigan PD are both waiting to zap you but are both usually running c/o.

I daily commute on 59 but further north. I live in Shreveport and work an hour NW so I take I-20 to US-80 to US-59. But I have family from Lufkin to Houston so I get to run that whole stretch.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
battledog